Kung Fu?

Originally posted by akirafists
You guys have way to many stories, and all of them end in saying how superior KFu is and how combat based MA are ripped off. As for Cung Le the reason he does well in full contact is because he trains as a kickboxer/MT fighter.
Instead of giving your expert-opinion and second guessing Mr Cung Le, why don't you ask him if he trains as a kickboxer/MT fighter and let us know what he thinks. (www.cungle.com). Thanks.

Why would I ask him? Do you think I'm going to be suprized when he says that he trains as a San Da fighter? Look, Cung Le is talented, but like I said before take a look at the San Da thread to understand how I feel about San Da.

Yeah, that clip is a good example of how Lee really did know how to fight. Some people think he was only good at "stage combat", but they need to do a little more research.

H Target. You really shouldn't bother posting. Hard Target. Fuck man. You named yourself after a Van Damme movie. Jesus. That's scary. I looked at your profile. Sorry to hear it dude. You should change your name to: Newbie McDojo. Cung Le/Gung Fu? You don't even know your own "style". I use the word "style" liberally in your case. Stick to Van Damme movies Shitting Dragon. Let people who know thier shit have a discussion please.

Oh. Akirafist. you don't have to repost a whole page of quotes for a one sentence response. Pick a piece and answer or bash it.

:) Amen Fisticuffs.....the amount of historical bullshit that guy said about Kung Fu is unbelievable(and I'm an historian I know what I'm talking about)

I think its funny how many peoples trainers were friends or trained with with Bruce Lee. If I had a nickle for every time I heard that, I fly to Montreal and we could hit up Super Sexe CBR. Are you going to UCC12?

of cooooooourse I am! depends on when you'l be there we could hit the super sexe

Originally posted by sakurai#1fan
http://www.freewebz.com/kickboxingclips/bruce-lee.WMV

Thats a video clip of bruce lee in a full contact match.......I beleive this is the only known clip of bruce lee actually fighting.

Not worth the download time.

CBR: Myself and a few friends are going up on the friday or saturday. We could arrange to hook up at the fight or at SS if your into it. we will probably stay at the Hotel Pierre or the Marriot. I prefer Hotel Pierre. lol We will probably catch a Habs game too. Molson section. lol

I downloaded it...I couldnt tell which one was LEE....looked like a Traditional Gung Fu fight to me.....not a lot of action either way...a lot of kicks.....its impressive watching him thrash the heavybag though....

Why would I ask him? Do you think I'm going to be suprized when he says that he trains as a San Da fighter? Look, Cung Le is talented, but like I said before take a look at the San Da thread to understand how I feel about San Da.

Then I don't see why you post the shit you do. It'd be one thing if you could back up what you say with "yeah, Cung said he'd been doing Muay Thai the last year", but you can't.

the amount of historical bullshit that guy said about Kung Fu is unbelievable(and I'm an historian I know what I'm talking about)
Who, and what historical bullshit? Having had enough education to qualify as a historian, at least bother to to refer what you're talking about. Blind us with your knowledge and absolute empirical truth.

I think its funny how many peoples trainers were friends or trained with with Bruce Lee.
Think what you want. It doesn't change the fact that some people were friends with Lee. Some people trained with Lee.

Originally posted by sodomaestro

1)Who, and what historical bullshit? Having had enough education to qualify as a historian, at least bother to to refer what you're talking about. Blind us with your knowledge and absolute empirical truth.

2)Think what you want. It doesn't change the fact that some people were friends with Lee. Some people trained with Lee.

1)As in the post above the one you quoted, we were discussing how much of an idiot H Target is.

2)Everybody and his dog is saying that they trained with or train with someone who trained with Bruce. Does he have pics of himself with Bruce that you have seen? If he does, my appologies. If not, well I rest my case.

Actually, MT by itself is just as useless as KF. The only styles that have proven to be used successfully by themselves are bjj, wrestling, and shootfighting.

If you had of read the entire thread you would know that I did not say MT is complete. As for comparing MT to KF, you are an idiot. MT is effective, KF is not. Thats why there are professional fighters with this combo (MT BJJ). Some are even Champs, imagine that.

Shamrock02.....I think Silva Vs Sak 1 showed the world that MT sucked against Shootfighting

And silva has a purple belt in bjj...imagine that....

And I didn't compare KF to MT. I just said by itself it is just as useless as MT, I.E. If you just learn MT, or just learn KF, you will know enough to get your ass kicked in MMA.

1)As in the post above the one you quoted, we were discussing how much of an idiot H Target is.
Cool. I tend to take things in a paranoid manner when no names are are mentioned. :=)

2)Everybody and his dog is saying that they trained with or train with someone who trained with Bruce. Does he have pics of himself with Bruce that you have seen? If he does, my appologies. If not, well I rest my case.
They were friends foremost. Yes. I've not gone through his personal photojournal or asked him for "evidence". He's not attention-seeking, so I've never seen him walk around with pictures saying "hey, look, it's me and Bruce!" However, a friend I used to train with put together a thing for school about the guy's life, maybe like 10 years ago. He was allowed to use and copy a photo of him with Lee. I saw the copy back then with the paper. But maybe I'm naive for not anticipating a big conspiracy over this, involving everyone but me. :)

Originally posted by ChuteBoxeRocks
Shamrock02.....I think Silva Vs Sak 1 showed the world that MT sucked against Shootfighting

LMAO!! Oh yeah, MT definately got owned!!! Shamrock02 ate shin on that one.

Your now basing your judgement on my name? As with all martial artists, I started somewhere, and Hard Target was my favorite movie when I was a kid, and I still like it. Credit to John Woo. What difference does a name make? If you know anything about martial arts, especially Bruce Lee you should have picked up on that.

Im not really here to get into name calling, I'm just trying to learn what I can and share information with others. I will confess I am one of those people who believed most asian martial can be traced back to China and India. A simple version is Chinese Grappling (Shiao Chiao) and "animal boxing" were combined with more technical Indian fighting styles (which still exist today eg. Kaliripayatu, I know i didnt spell that right) and evolved to become kung fu. Chinese Grappling evolved into JuJitsu, and kung fu evolved into Krabi Krabong which became the sport of Muay Thai and Muay Boran. That is my opinion, any evidence to the contrary would be helpful, I alwyas want to learn more.

I train in Kung Fu, I train for self defence first and I train at what I believe an excellent school for this. But I do not limit my knowledge to one style, nor do I say that my style is best, it suits me just fine. I also enjoy following combat sports. Nor do I say that Kung fu is the best style or martial art.

My account of Bruce Lee's fight with Wong Jack Man I heard from people within the Kung Fu world, I researched it on the internet, and the only people I could find claiming Bruce won with punches to the head werent there and could only have heard it from Bruce, all other accounts of people who were observers say Bruce gave up when he was tired, again any evidence I may have missed would be helpful.

Chuteboxerocks: You claim to be a historian, I was, now I am studying media arts. You only know what you are talking about if you are a historian in that particular field. If you have some helpful material on martial arts i would be very interested in seeing it.

Fisticuffs: I believe our original argument was about the quality of Traditional Kung Fu, I do not want to make this personal, I train in a "traditional" style of Kung Fu that does not rely on flashy techniques or what some people may immediately think of. Instead it down to earth, utilising low kicks, fast aggressive punches and hand techniques and grappling, in fact the grappling is its speciality and it often relies the "eagle claw" grabbing technique that the style is named after. If you want to call my kung fu school a McDojo it would help if you knew anything about it before you made that assumption. For more info on Traditional mkung fu in the ring go to http://www.sanshou.org/sanda.html as they mention fighters who defeated Thailand's top Muay Thai champions. As i stated earlier, McDojo's and effective martial arts teaching exist in every martial art, and always its just a shame that the ratio is at least 10:1.

I invite you to visit the library of Montreal university. I'm not specialized in Thailand history, but man...I did for like two hours of research and I had the name of Muay Thai inventor, his reason to invent it and I knew that any Thailand files prior to 1700 was destroyed. Verify if you want.

Back