Kurt Angles Olympic training regime!

This is another thought:

When I was a high school athlete, I really didn't know that much about lifting or training and I didn't even consider the sports I would have been good at, I played what I liked. I think a lot (even most) of other high schoolers were like me. The naturally gifted ones were the ones who got recruited. I think in order to overcome people with really great genetics, you have to have some guidence at an early enough age if you want to impress colleges by time you are 18ish. Neither of my parents had a clue about fitness and I had no other guidence except for coaches who (only looking back) sucked when it came to strength, power, endurance, and overall fitness.

In conclusion and not in every case, but for the most part, I think hardwork + knowledge are the ingredients that can overcome genetics in some (just some) cases.

Fedorable said:
This is another thought:

When I was a high school athlete, I really didn't know that much about lifting or training and I didn't even consider the sports I would have been good at, I played what I liked. I think a lot (even most) of other high schoolers were like me. The naturally gifted ones were the ones who got recruited. I think in order to overcome people with really great genetics, you have to have some guidence at an early enough age if you want to impress colleges by time you are 18ish. Neither of my parents had a clue about fitness and I had no other guidence except for coaches who (only looking back) sucked when it came to strength, power, endurance, and overall fitness.

In conclusion and not in every case, but for the most part, I think hardwork + knowledge are the ingredients that can overcome genetics in some (just some) cases.

I think this accurately sums up most high school sports.

Barut said:
I think this accurately sums up most high school sports.

plus having a brother around the same age would have helped.

Numpty said:
I just set a goal for myself and go after it. Thinking about genitics and all that other crap is only going to distract you and most likely make you quit. I grew up with really bad asthma I would have to use my inhayler 3-5 times a day. I couldnt afford as a kid to be complaining about what shitty genes I had. If I thought like that Im sure Id still be puffing away on that inhaler not what Im able to do now. Im now able to go to BJJ or my boxing class or my kickboxing class Im able to push myself harder and longer then most there and with a better work ethic I am 100% positive I could hang for just as long as everyone there. My main thought is that yes of course gentics play a part but your attitude counts for a lot more. (and dont try to use extream case to backup your point eg your missing both your legs)

Okay, so say you're missing both of your legs, if you run north at ten miles per hour, and someone with no arms runs south at 10 miles an hour, how far apart are you two from one another after 3454324563464564.765 hours of running?

If you can't get this question, you've got some seriously shitty genes btw....

Fedorable said:
This is another thought:

But what about when those people with great genetics get into college, and train like mad men? Kepp in mind D1 athletics is full of guys who were the cream of the crop at their highschool, so the playing field is leveled a bit.

PhxJudoJujitsu said:
But what about when those people with great genetics get into college, and train like mad men? Kepp in mind D1 athletics is full of guys who were the cream of the crop at their highschool, so the playing field is leveled a bit.

what about them?

Well why is it, that despite the fact that they all train really well, and the same, some people barely make college teams, and others are All Americans?

Yes Im serious. Several people on here have used the argument, that hard work, and dedication will overcome natural ability. BUt if you make it into D-1 Athletics, everyone works out very hard. I played D-1 athletics so I know. Despite this equal training ground, some guys rise way above the rest. The best baseball players on my college squad typically worke out the least.

At every level of competition you will have guys who can excel at that level without putting in the work. Of the guys on your college baseball team how many are now starters in the majors?

The debate shouldn't be that everybody can do everything if they work hard enough, genetics be damned. It should be that even when somebody finds something they a good at, most will never be willing to put forth the work to go from good to great.

I've never disputed that fact, but many people on here refuse to believe that those who make their living playing a childs game were blessed from birth with amazing natural ability, that was combined with hard work. Even the guys who are "mediocre" by professional standards are blessed with amazing natural talent. Yes many people dont reach their full potential, but your fooling yourself if you think god given talent doesnt account for alot.

I agree with you totally. I played football in HS against a kid who was about 6'4", weighed maybe 160 & ran about a 4.8 40, but he caught everything he touched. He walked on in college & 5 years later he weighed about 210 & was running a 4.5. He played a few years in the NFL. He was born with some natural gifts, hands & being 6'4" & he worked ass off to get bigger & faster. If he'd only been 5'4" & not been able to catch a cold all the hard work in the world wouldn't have made him an NFL player.

I think we really strayed from the original intent of this debate though. If I remember correctly this whole genetics vs work ethic started with a post about HS wrestlers who were convinced they couldn't win before they even tried because of bad genetics. I think this has more to do with mind set & mental toughness than genetics or work ethic. That just happened to be the cop out that bunch of kids used. They could very well have used the opposite approach just as easily. They could have said they were great, but the coach's program sucked & that's why the were loosing. Somehow what should have been a discussion about sports psychology wound up being a huge debate over genetics vs work ethic.

PhxJudoJujitsu said:
Well why is it, that despite the fact that they all train really well, and the same, some people barely make college teams, and others are All Americans?

I must have misread your post the first time...

You cant measure genetics. So in order to find out wehter you have great or bad ones you have to do what you want to do. Just becasue you are not good when you start doing it doesnt mean that you dont have good genetics. E.g. Rocky Marciano wasnt the typical Im "born with a natural athletic talent" guy. His talent was that he could get better and better and better by doing something over and over and over again.
Even in things like arts where one might think that talent is everything one will never be the best of the best without hard work. You can become a good actor if you have the talent. But guys like Robert de Niro have the talent and are known for being very hard workers.

To bring back something someone else posted a long time ago in this thread...

Rick Moranis (sp)(the little bitch from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids") will NEVER squat 600...

Fuck, he'd never squat 300...

Doesn't matter what he did, he'd never be able to do it...

He might be a little bitch but I promise you he could squat 300 pounds with enough training. The average man can squat 400 pounds if he tries long and hard enough.

Aus101 used Phoenix down

He did it all with a broken freakin neck!!!!!!!!

He did it all with a broken freakin neck!!!!!!!!

7nLWOMb.jpg

I really miss the promos from the Attitude Era. Longer, funnier, more stuff backstage.

7nLWOMb.jpg

I really miss the promos from the Attitude Era. Longer, funnier, more stuff backstage.

Angle's promos were so good back then. He was one of those dudes that was probably just good at everything. Well, maybe not getting dui's was tough for him :icon_chee

resurrects 8 year old thread to defend Rick Moranis.

lol

Back