Kyle Keough's New Powerlifting Log

Keosawa

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Someoe told me to come back to sherdog, so I am back, at least until I abandon my log again!

But seriously, I need to log regularly again because it always helped me process my training internally. So I will just give this a go and take it day by day. I am currently 10 weeks out of a meet, so this is as good a time as any to start.

Today, I started the week off with some light volume Yoke bar squatting: 345x10, 365x10, then a couple paused sets of 305x10. The goal was really just to stay light enough so that I could maintain strict upright positioning. Overall, this was a nice low-stress session after a lighter volume previous week.

Grow your jesus hair again.

Paused Bench, 225x20x4

Stuck on 225 for a couple more weeks, but at least there is no pain and I can keep loading the weekly bar-lifts. Last week I hit 175 reps over four sessions, so the goal for this week will be 185 to 200.

Whoa...I came back on the same day as you! Great minds think alike. When are we gonna train together again?!?

Awesome, welcome back. You've been missed.

Welcome back and congrats on the 165lb record! Good luck with your US Open prep.

Welcome back and congrats on the 165lb record! Good luck with your US Open prep.

Thanks mate. Prep is going pretty well so far!

Today I did some straight-bar work in sleeves: 490x5, and 440 for drop-sets of five. I had a pretty mediocre go of it with 490; the early reps look high and the later reps are just borderline, and frankly it should just be better than that at this stage. So, I have my work cut out for me, especially because depth on wrapped squats has been terrible. This weekend it's time to break out the singlet and see if I can hit depth on 550x4. It needs to happen before I can move forward.

Overall, there are a lot of positives on squat. Wrapped squatting is better than expected and I am much stronger than last prep. Performances just need to be consistently better from a depth perspective.

Bench, 315x8. Pretty much on par with how I did last week. This sets the standard for rep-max progression; next week will be around 325x7. Benching is feeling good, but it's back to 225 in a couple days.

Wrapped Squats
545x3

I really do not enjoy any aspect of wrapped squatting--the technique is still so weird after being in sleeves for so long, though I am getting used to it--but I am learning to tolerate it. This was my best overall set of prep. Depth was consistently at least borderline and bar-speed was OK. Walk-out leaves a lot to be desired, but we are taking baby steps here.

Deadlift
595x3x4 (four triples)

Shoulder and bicep accessories.

What a blerghy day. 595 for 12 reps in a session is a hell of a lot for me, so that's a really nice step forward, and sessions like this really propelled my deadlift forward last training cycle. The individual sets were a tick slower than I wanted, but my exertion was higher on my straight-bar squatting this week, so I'm not terribly surprised it was a grind. Grip continues to hold up well, even if these sessions beat my hands up a bit. Definitely the hardest overall session of the week.

Have you thought of pushing your knees out when squatting or does your current style suit you better?

Back