kyokushin Karate lol

--Shogun--

White Belt
Reaction score
personally i do bjj and muay thai.. and i dont know anything about karate. but i hear that kyokushin is more modern than normal karate and they actually sparr full contact etc. And on gsp's website it says he still considers himself a kyokushin fighter. Is it actually effective in mma what so ever... and does gsp actually use it in the octogan?

yes to pretty much all questions. kyo seems to be the more legit form of karate since they actually spar and only through sparring cant you see if your techs work.

it's less on elbows and knees than muay thai but that's also fighter prefrense. elbows and knees often spell victorys in mma/k-1 and people think of tka/aikido/tma stereotypical fakes when they hear karate so it's less desireble when you see 4 little kids walk out of a tkd mcdojo all in blackbelts.

but you see the tkd-esque kicks gsp often uses they're more tkd (the legit techs of tkd) / karate based.

I think there are proabably knees and elbows in the system just not as a big a clinch game as MT.

Kyokushin tournaments dont allow punches to the head so they are usually pretty good with body shots.

Bas Rutten and Semmy Schilt both have backgrounds in Kyokushin aswell.

There are a bunch of guys in MMA/kickboxing with Kyokushin backgrounds: Bas, Semmy, GSP, Glaube Feitosa, Francisco Filho, and many others.

As far as I know, Kyokushin is very traditional. They train the old way and the hard way.

The major difference... Well, the ONLY difference from other styles of Karate is the sparring, which is full contact with no protection, but also no face punches.

It's not some Karate/Kickboxing hybrid, it's Karate the way Karate was meant to be practiced.

Under KK full contact sparring rules, you'll notice they fight at an unusual range, where both parties can land devastating body shot combos to the chest. In MMA, this would be clinch or takedown time. So KK strategy wouldn't work, but some of the striking, and certainly the conditioning, would be useful.

It is a strange style to me, but after watching some of their tournaments one thing is certain, the competitors are tough tough bastards.

Not many styles including muay thai train as hard as some of the harcore Kyokushin guys. Man if you ever get a chance of watching one of those 100 man kumite's do it. Its insane.

I have huge respect for kyokushin guys.

Yup, Kykushin rocks. Bas and Sem Schildt are other good exampes of kyokushin guys.

I've seen these guys in the ring and they are for real. One question, though, for any Kyokushin guys here - how do you condition your shins? When you first start sparring, do you use shin guards or is it completely no protection, like, not even mouth peices?

KyKushin is crazy, its the traditional karate style as they mentioned trained with very intense conditioning and the sparring is full contact, bare knuckle combat with no mouth piece even. You can't punch to the face but you can kick to the head.

Chthon said:
I've seen these guys in the ring and they are for real. One question, though, for any Kyokushin guys here - how do you condition your shins? When you first start sparring, do you use shin guards or is it completely no protection, like, not even mouth peices?

I don't train in this, but I know a few people that do and as far as I was told they don't user any protection whatsoever on the shins.

Aside from the thai boxing, I took mantis kung fu from a teacher that was a competitor in full contact events and stressed using what actually works so when we trained and fought full contact we never used shin guards. Alot of the iron body conditioning that we took part in involved you and a partner swinging your legs like a pendulum going shin to shin for a good 10 minutes per leg until you felt numb, then rubbed it out with some jao. It sounds crazy but it actually worked,.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
The major difference... Well, the ONLY difference from other styles of Karate is the sparring, which is full contact with no protection, but also no face punches.

Not true. While the sparring is mainly what makes it so effective, Kyokushin also is known for practicing movements in a circular, rather than linear, movement. Traditional karate is very rigid, and moves in a straight line.

Not true. While the sparring is mainly what makes it so effective, Kyokushin also is known for practicing movements in a circular, rather than linear, movement. Traditional karate is very rigid, and moves in a straight line.

Not entirely true. Not every single form of Karate adheres to that standard. I've met a lot of very tough and strong practitioners of Okinawan Goju Ryu, and in the early stages of their training the motions are linear and more rigid, but as you advance in the Art you learn more circular and fluid motions. Problem is not many people out there know what goes on at the higher levels of REAL and respectable practicing of Arts such as Karate, and the lengths many students go through to learn how to apply them properly. American perception of traditional Arts is the fault mainly of the Incorporation of these Martial Arts for teachers to make money and nothing more. If you ever actually go to any of the Countries where the Arts are taught and practiced routinely, or if you meet any people who travel abroad in practice of such Arts, you can meet a whole different breed of fighter who is actually rather adaptable, and before anyone asks why they don't compete it's typically (from my experience) because they do not like to have to adhere to the standards and limitations of competition. It's not about money, fame, or any shit like that. It's usually about learning as hokey as it sounds.

I USED to train kyokushin karate-do, it was fun, although my sensei had us hit makiwara every session, he was a very hard man, but our bodies did become pretty conditioned (to body shots especially), we were also allowed to, in tournys, throw knees to the face while grabbing the gi, and my sensei taught us something he called sabaki, it was circular movement, pretty interesting but it was all based off of them attacking first, i must say, they trained kicking ALOT and not THAT much punching, they taught us to use axe kicks which is a weapon i have never really been that good at landing cuz the distance is pretty odd, anyway, if you have anymore questions just ask ^_^

Kyokushin Karate:

Punches are only allowed to the body
elbows only allowed to the body
kicks allowed to the head and body
knees allowed to the head and body
only protection allowed is the groin cup

King Kabuki said:
Not entirely true. Not every single form of Karate adheres to that standard. I've met a lot of very tough and strong practitioners of Okinawan Goju Ryu, and in the early stages of their training the motions are linear and more rigid, but as you advance in the Art you learn more circular and fluid motions. Problem is not many people out there know what goes on at the higher levels of REAL and respectable practicing of Arts such as Karate, and the lengths many students go through to learn how to apply them properly. American perception of traditional Arts is the fault mainly of the Incorporation of these Martial Arts for teachers to make money and nothing more. If you ever actually go to any of the Countries where the Arts are taught and practiced routinely, or if you meet any people who travel abroad in practice of such Arts, you can meet a whole different breed of fighter who is actually rather adaptable, and before anyone asks why they don't compete it's typically (from my experience) because they do not like to have to adhere to the standards and limitations of competition. It's not about money, fame, or any shit like that. It's usually about learning as hokey as it sounds.
+1.

There are differences in different styles of Karate. The original Okinawan karate was far less rigid and more fluid and angle-based, and it formed the basis of early TKD.

I'm training IKO Kyokushin Karate right now. I don't know if people consider the Kyokushin way of training to be brutal or not, but personally, I found it excruciating as a beginner. Overtime though, my body got used to being banged up after a several rounds of sparring, strength training, and core training. Now, I don't feel as much pain when I fight, I heal much quicker, and my body doesn't swell like it used to.

The Kyokushin methods of training vary from dojo to dojo. Since many people take up Kyokushin Karate for recreation in the United States, many dojos do not push elderly couples, young kids, and weaker students to do anything that they can't. For the students that want to take their skills to the next level, my branch in the Greater Los Angeles area has setup fighter classes which are recommended for blue belts and above.

A fighter's regular training routine within a two-hour period and 1 two-minute break could consist of 10 one-minute rounds on the human shield, pad work, several minutes of jump rope, various strength exercises, various core exercises, and several rounds of live sparring . Contrary to popular myth, we can spar with gloves, shinguards, etc. And freshmen, such as myself, are also required to fight with them on during competition. But we never have them on during pad, heavy bag, and human shield work. Fighter classes do not require dogi; shorts and t-shirt will do.

It is traditional for karatekas to train on wood or concrete flooring. But most Kyokushin dojos have lined their floors with foam mats because sweeping is one of the most efficient ways of earning wazari in competition..

There are aspects of Kyokushin Karate that would work for MMA and other aspects that won't. As it was said, we fight at a strange distance compared to other types of fighting since we don't allow any grabbing whatsoever and punches to the face. Likewise, although I'm not entirely proficient with MMA and Muay Thai fight strategies, many fighters of different styles would be fish out of water in karate competition.

Back