L Edwards now clarifies why Ian Garry isn't welcome anymore

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In October, Machado Garry revealed exclusively to The Independent he was asked not to return to Team Renegade in Birmingham. Claiming that Edwards and coaches made the decision due to “doubts and insecurities”. Renegade told The Independent: “The nomadic approach to preparation has given him great results, but it’s not in line with what we are creating at Team Renegade”.

Edwards, Britain’s second UFC champion ever, has now reiterated that suggestion. The 32-year-old now comes clear: “[Him being in the same division] wasn’t the reason; that’s the reason he said."

“The culture in the gym that we’re trying to build... Even though I’m a world champion, I still abide by the same rules as the amateurs. The difference with Ian was that, when he came in, he’d bring his camera man with him, and bring his wife with him. He was late to the sessions. There was a lot going on, so the coaches and the team decided: ‘We wish you well on your journey, but your culture doesn’t fit our culture.’ That’s the third gym now that he’s been kicked out of. There’s a reason why. It's because once one starts slipping, you feel: ‘Okay, if he can do it, I can do it. If he ain’t cleaning the mats, then I ain’t cleaning the mats.’ Eventually it breaks the team down.”

So, basically Ian and his wife treated the gym like a shooting location, and just like film/TV stars came in with the same diva attitude? Thoughts?

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/ufc/leon-edwards-ian-garry-gym-ufc-296-b2460073.html

In October, Machado Garry revealed exclusively to The Independent he was asked not to return to Team Renegade in Birmingham. Claiming that Edwards and coaches made the decision due to “doubts and insecurities”. Renegade told The Independent: “The nomadic approach to preparation has given him great results, but it’s not in line with what we are creating at Team Renegade”.

Edwards, Britain’s second UFC champion ever, has now reiterated that suggestion. The 32-year-old now comes clear: “[Him being in the same division] wasn’t the reason; that’s the reason he said."

“The culture in the gym that we’re trying to build... Even though I’m a world champion, I still abide by the same rules as the amateurs. The difference with Ian was that, when he came in, he’d bring his camera man with him, and bring his wife with him. He was late to the sessions. There was a lot going on, so the coaches and the team decided: ‘We wish you well on your journey, but your culture doesn’t fit our culture.’ That’s the third gym now that he’s been kicked out of. There’s a reason why. It's because once one starts slipping, you feel: ‘Okay, if he can do it, I can do it. If he ain’t cleaning the mats, then I ain’t cleaning the mats.’ Eventually it breaks the team down.”

So, basically Ian and his wife treated the gym like a shooting location, and just like film/TV stars came in with the same diva attitude? Thoughts?

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/ufc/leon-edwards-ian-garry-gym-ufc-296-b2460073.html

Garry seems like such a tosser.

Having the wife there or the cameras doesnt have to be a problem.. as long as their like flies on the wall and dont disturbed the sanctity and the process of the gym .....

As soon as that changes though ...its time to go..Leon is right here .. the gym is a place of work and everyone is equal , that's how it works best

We had a guy bring his bird every session to watch, every break he'd go and chat to her and ignore the group. To be fair he was Polish and didn't speak a word of English but still changes the atmosphere.
I thought you meant an actual bird at first, that'd be cool. Like a pirate that practices MMA.

Last edited:
It sounds like they hated that Garry took his self-promotion as serious as his training. Ronda, Conor and Brock stayed at smaller, less popular gyms for a reason.

Back