Lamsongkram - what is the view on him?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago when he went to Tristar to train with GSP and everybody said he's a can for Thai standards. I thought it was hipster talk (it's cool to shit on anything related to MMA these days) and never looked much into it, since he is never talked about.

But he appears like a scary, vicious fighter with very polished technique. His record is shit, though, it seems, but I wanted to hear you guys on him.

I wouldn't call him a can but rather over hyped.

Was never really a big fan of his fights. He was solid, but anytime a random Thai gets connected with an MMA star all of a sudden they are the GOAT, so pushback from this forum is to be expected.

Was never really a big fan of his fights. He was solid, but anytime a random Thai gets connected with an MMA star all of a sudden they are the GOAT, so pushback from this forum is to be expected.

That's precisely my point. Objectively, if he had never been in contact with MMA, how would he be rated?
I read he got a Raja belt?

That's precisely my point. Objectively, if he had never been in contact with MMA, how would he be rated?
I read he got a Raja belt?
I really didn't pay much attention to him until the tail end of his career when he became an international fighter. Generally Thais do very well when they go abroad but he seemed to lose more than he won. I wouldn't rate him very high but that doesn't mean he wasn't a decent fighter. I didn't follow him in the stadiums.

cant believe Im the first one to say it: he is the Michael Jordan of Muay Thai.

But to be serious he was Raja champ at 160, the highest and shallowest weight. I never followed his career closely but I assume he is the same tier as guys like PTT, Sorgraw, Pongsiri, etc.

cant believe Im the first one to say it: he is the Michael Jordan of Muay Thai.

But to be serious he was Raja champ at 160, the highest and shallowest weight. I never followed his career closely but I assume he is the same tier as guys like PTT, Sorgraw, Pongsiri, etc.

LOL that rings a bell. Who said that? Wasn't it Firas?

He's neither a can nor the Michael Jordan of Muay Thai, but something in the middle.

He did get a Raja belt twice a few years apart which isn't nothing, but he also got KO'd way too many times (more than 15 times). He also lost to a lot of farangs like Jean-Charles Skarbowsky, Toshio Matsumoto x2, Nieky Holzken, Rayen Simson, Ali Gunyar, Yohan Lidon, John Wayne Parr, etc. It's not often that a Thai from the stadiums loses as many times as he wins against farangs in MT.

He's definitely an experienced enough fighter to be a coach though.

Not a very good fighter. Similar to guys who fought around the same time and weight like Kaoklai or Nonsai or Diesellek or Chaowalit. Fought in highest and weakest weight class in muay thai, so they're always the first to get international opportunities. That's really the only reason anyone knows who he is. Without that he wouldn't get the same sort of regular international opportunities and no one would care about him.

Last edited:
Anyone just making references to a Lamsongkram's "accolades" as a stadium champion is just being lazy. People on this forum still don't seem to realise or care that being a "stadium fighter", "stadium ranker" or "stadium champion" or "thai fighter" is not a universal mark of quality. Being a stadium fighter is kind of like being a lesser version of a UFC fighter. There are so many events and so much demand for fighters that you don't need to be that great to carve out a career as a stadium regular. Which isn't even getting into the political aspects which can determine who gets ranked and who fights for titles.

Lamsongkram in particular fell into a niche of being one of the few guys who could even fight above 65kgs. So him and a few other big guys used to get regular opportunities to fight on shitty Chujaroen cards at Rajadamnern stadium back in the early to mid 2000s.

Last edited:
People on this forum still don't seem to realise or care that being a "stadium fighter", "stadium ranker" or "stadium champion" or "thai fighter" is not a universal mark of quality.

I bet the absolutely majority of people in this forum knew that already.

This suggests otherwise.

I don't see how their quotes indicate that "Thai from the stadiums" is "a universal mark of quality". they don't even enter the territory whether it is or not. But if you look objectively you'll see that all of the regulars know that "Thai from the stadiums" is a relative mark of quality - most thais from the stadiums generically usually do well in international competition but any one of them can also do just as bad as anyone else.

But if you look objectively you'll see that all of the regulars know that "Thai from the stadiums" is a relative mark of quality - most thais from the stadiums generically usually do well in international competition but any one of them can also do just as bad as anyone else.
You can't just group together "thais from the stadiums" or "stadium champions" and treat them all the same. Guys like Lam, Songkraw and Manowan are a million miles away from guys like Kaonar or Singdam. I expect the latter to do well internationally the former can just as easily lose as win.

You can't just group together "thais from the stadiums" or "stadium champions" and treat them all the same. Guys like Lam, Songkraw and Manowan are a million miles away from guys like Kaonar or Singdam. I expect the latter to do well internationally the former can just as easily lose as win.
No shit.

Anyone just making references to a Lamsongkram's "accolades" as a stadium champion is just being lazy. People on this forum still don't seem to realise or care that being a "stadium fighter", "stadium ranker" or "stadium champion" or "thai fighter" is not a universal mark of quality.

There's nothing lazy about mentioning that someone won a title when they did. And typically cans don't win stadium titles. We're not saying he's goat, but let's not pretend that winning a Raja title means absolutely nothing now.

Also as you quoted myself and @Snubnoze707 for saying that usually Thais who fight in the stadiums tend to do well when fighting internationally but that according to you this is a misconception, how about telling us about all those Thai stadium fighters who got Raja or Lumpinee titles and then ended up losing more than winning when fighting internationally against farangs in MT?

There's nothing lazy about mentioning that someone won a title when they did. And typically cans don't win stadium titles. We're not saying he's goat, but let's not pretend that winning a Raja title means absolutely nothing now.

Also as you quoted myself and @Snubnoze707 for saying that usually Thais who fight in the stadiums tend to do well when fighting internationally but that according to you this is a misconception, how about telling us about all those Thai stadium fighters who got Raja or Lumpinee titles and then ended up losing more than winning when fighting internationally against farangs in MT?
A raja title means next to nothing if you win it at 160lbs.

I already did. Look at Manowan, Songkraw, Lamsongkram, Kaoklai, Yodpayak and others.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back