Landing The Jab On The Taller Man.

First thread on Sherdog :icon_chee
So basically I was wondering what is everyones go to tactics in order to land the jab, or out jab the taller man?
For me personally I would say it comes down to 3 main tactics
- doubling the jab (making sure to throw it as fast as you can because a lazy jab gives the taller man too much time to react)
-stepping closer into range(taking small baby steps inside of your opponents reach) to land the jab
-slipping inside of your opponents jab and countering with your own.

I feel that the body jab is very useful against a taller opponent because his body will often be closer to you than his head. After repeatedly catching him to the body, he will most likely pull his body back to protect it and thus, lean his head forward. That's a great time to land a powerful blow to his chin. Andre Ward did this with the right straight to the body instead of the jab to set up his left hook on Chad Dawson.
-Jimin

[YT]U5pkj0XvhPg[/YT]

Do you have an MMA fight example of this ?

Definitely watch de Almeida's fight. Awesome first round tko. Bisping vs Dollaway had some really good boxing too.

And Makdessi used his jab well against Campbell before setting up his right hand.

The fights tonight are awesome.

Definitely watch de Almeida's fight. Awesome first round tko. Bisping vs Dollaway had some really good boxing too.

And Makdessi used his jab well against Campbell before setting up his right hand.

Bryant Jennings should have read this thread.

some really great examples here. thanks all

Bryant Jennings should have read this thread.

Jennings could have done much better had eh thrown straight punches.

Everytime someone jabs wih Klitschko it kinda works especially because of his tendency to back straight up and he can't defend the jab any other way because he doesn't move his head or block much and he doesn't counterpunch either so jabbing is most likely going to result in him going to the ropes it happens everytime but because everyone is intimidated by Wlad's own jab nobody tries.

And why didn't he try straight right he has so arms he was so often close enough to land a straight punch but instead he fell forwardwith his head down. Wlad isn't a great counterpuncher even if you miss there are many boxers who are more likely to punish you for it.

Jennings trainer even told him in the corner that he should go straight down the middle worst case scenario is that he clinches you but he does anyway and the sometimes you land you score and might hurt him and it surely helps pushing Wlad backwards and Wlad can absolutely not fight going backwards he has to go forward or be set

Jennings could have done much better had eh thrown straight punches.

Everytime someone jabs wih Klitschko it kinda works especially because of his tendency to back straight up and he can't defend the jab any other way because he doesn't move his head or block much and he doesn't counterpunch either so jabbing is most likely going to result in him going to the ropes it happens everytime but because everyone is intimidated by Wlad's own jab nobody tries.

And why didn't he try straight right he has so arms he was so often close enough to land a straight punch but instead he fell forwardwith his head down. Wlad isn't a great counterpuncher even if you miss there are many boxers who are more likely to punish you for it.

Jennings trainer even told him in the corner that he should go straight down the middle worst case scenario is that he clinches you but he does anyway and the sometimes you land you score and might hurt him and it surely helps pushing Wlad backwards and Wlad can absolutely not fight going backwards he has to go forward or be set

Pretty much spot on.
Remember though that Jennings has practically no amateur background.

Wladmir has this defensive tactic where he jumps back to escape the exchange (his other thing is clinching which wasn't welcomed by the referee vs. Jennings).

Instead of lunging in and throwing wild swings when he jumps back (think David Haye or Jennings), I want to see someone calmly stepping in and maintain the pressure and distance with lead hand feints and upper body feints.

Last edited:
Against a taller man, what really works for me is a jab to the body to overhand right :) You should try it out as well, it's simple but effective :)

Against a taller man, what really works for me is a jab to the body to overhand right :) You should try it out as well, it's simple but effective :)

Yea, until he starts to time that. Then your overhand will lead you into the world of off balance, plus you'll get countered.

Yea, until he starts to time that. Then your overhand will lead you into the world of off balance, plus you'll get countered.

When he times it you jab high

Edit: Also, you shouldn't be off balance when you throw the overhand if you get your feet in position.

Was going to say the same thing. What about an overhand puts you instantaneously off balance when you miss?

Just saw Makdessi vs Campbell. REALLY liked what Makdessi did in this fight. Didn't like the range controll by Campbell at all though ....

Just saw Makdessi vs Campbell. REALLY liked what Makdessi did in this fight. Didn't like the range controll by Campbell at all though ....

Yea Campbell just couldn't keep Makdessi off him. When he got desperate, he fell back on his kick too much and that just made it easier for Makdessi.

Yea Campbell just couldn't keep Makdessi off him. When he got desperate, he fell back on his kick too much and that just made it easier for Makdessi.

Yes ... And what happened with Bisping ? I haven't seen his fights for quite some time, but his speed has totally gone. Also his footwork - he just doesn't have it anymore. I am not talking about technique here - just pure athleticism. He suddenly became old.

P.S
I did like his TDD though ...

Yes ... And what happened with Bisping ? I haven't seen his fights for quite some time, but his speed has totally gone. Also his footwork - he just doesn't have it anymore. I am not talking about technique here - just pure athleticism. He suddenly became old.

P.S

I thought Bisping looked better than ever, actually. Less meaningless dancing, more economical movement. He was finding good angles and landing actual combinations with mean intent. He's as open on the retreat as ever--for whatever reason the dude just CANNOT stay low or learn to back up on an angle--but I was impressed with his performance nonetheless.

Bisping's problem has always been that his mouth writes checks that he's incapable of cashing.

So basically I was wondering what is everyones go to tactics in order to land the jab, or out jab the taller man?

1) Control the distance with footwork. Either stay out of range or right in his face.
2) Don't let him impose his jab. Look in front of you and move your head while closing the distance.
3) Keep your jab fast and tight. Half-ass jabs don't work on tall people. Throw it with conviction or don't throw it at all.

James Toney did a great job with his jab in his fight against Evander Holyfield, especially in the first few rounds:

[YT]MKO7tO6sXQM[/YT]

P.S

I thought that was Bisping looking much better technically with his hands. Ugly kicks, and yea he's getting old, but pretty solid boxing and good TDD as always.

I thought Bisping looked better than ever, actually. Less meaningless dancing, more economical movement. He was finding good angles and landing actual combinations with mean intent. He's as open on the retreat as ever--for whatever reason the dude just CANNOT stay low or learn to back up on an angle--but I was impressed with his performance nonetheless.

To say the truth, I don't think his "dancing" was pointless. I am familiar with this opinion on footwork styles - like McCallum's or Hopkins' style is better than Leonard's or Ali's. But IMO those extremely dynamic guys with their "excessive" footwork are really frustrating opponents. May be they do a lot of work moving so much, but at the same time they don't allow their opponent to set AT ALL. So it is a trade off I guess.

About Bisping specifically I always thought that in terms of skill set he is a very solid guy overall. His main point in stand up was moving a lot in-and-out and side-to-side. Mixing it nicely with the jab which set up right hand etc. But it looks like today this style doesn't suite him from pure athletic point. You see that he forces himself to move instead of just being comfortable and natural about it ....

Back