Elections Leftwing commentator Kim Iversen explains why she likes Ron DeSantis

I can't know what goes on inside the minds of progressives but we can look at the impact that their policies would have and we can see that total debt cancellation would be a windfall for professionals with high incomes.

Idk the details of Biden's plan but it seems to be a blanket $10k forgiveness so that's not even counting what students can get forgiven with income adjusted repayment plans. Combined those two would shave a big chunk off of the debt of most borrowers and in fact for many would wipe it completely. Given that this would help most middle and lower class earners by either shaving off 20%-50% of their debt, if not all of it, the only ones left out are the fewer borrowers who took out more than than $50k who represent a small minority and are disprotionately high income. No need to give them a break.

As someone with ~$35k in debt getting $10k of it forgiven would be a big deal for me and I don't even think we should get that much.

No, expecting $50k is in fact a bit unrealistic and expecting anywhere near total debt cancellation is completely absurd.
You can't know the mind of a progressive, and apparently are also not willing to listen. If you're not even going to acknowledge or attempt to understand what the progressive position is--in full, then you can't claim to have an idea of what the fallout would be.
You're just repeating your same points as if I didn't address them from the progressive POV, but whatever, dude. It is what it is.
<WhatItIs>

You can't know the mind of a progressive, and apparently are also not willing to listen. If you're not even going to acknowledge or attempt to understand what the progressive position is--in full, then you can't claim to have an idea of what the fallout would be.
You're just repeating your same points as if I didn't address them from the progressive POV, but whatever, dude. It is what it is.
<WhatItIs>
I dealt with those points

"Progressives don't just want full student debt cancelation, they want a reform of the system"

You can reform the system without full cancellation

"Yes some high income people will benefit but this is about alleviating debt for the lower and middle classes"

You can do that with a lot less than complete cancellation.

Like I said just $10k wipes out all debt for over 30% of borrowers and roughly 20%-50% for the vast majority of borrowers. Thing is such things come with both a literal cost and opportunity costs in the form of other policies that could've been pursued but weren't due to the time and effort put into this one. I think it was @Lead who pointed out to me that the cost of just $10k in debt relief would be equivalent to ~2/3rds of the expanded child tax credit that Dems had enacted under the Biden's Stimulus. That policy is a far better tool to fight poverty in America and yet it gets a lot less hype from progressives than student debt cancellation.

I dealt with those points

"Progressives don't just want full student debt cancelation, they want a reform of the system"

You can reform the system without full cancellation

"Yes some high income people will benefit but this is about alleviating debt for the lower and middle classes"

You can do that with a lot less than complete cancellation.

Like I said just $10k wipes out all debt for over 30% of borrowers and roughly 20%-50% for the vast majority of borrowers. Thing is such things come with both a literal cost and opportunity costs in the form of other policies that could've been pursued but weren't due to the time and effort put into this one. I think it was @Lead who pointed out to me that the cost of just $10k in debt relief would be equivalent to ~2/3rds of the expanded child tax credit that Dems had enacted under the Biden's Stimulus. That policy is a far better tool to fight poverty in America and yet it gets a lot less hype from progressives than student debt cancellation.

I think it says more than just tradeoffs but the size of what we are talking about. CTC expansion is a huge ticket item in terms of money and I haven't seen Dems find a way to put that in place with offsetting revenue. BBB did like 3 years of expanded CTC against 10 years of revenue. The same with student debt. We are talking about such a large ticket item and it doesn't even fix the issue going forward. I think cancellation should be accompanied by some real idea of addressing college costs or covering tuition with more revenue if it's done. But I'm pretty much closer to fully against than for any of it as I think it's redistribution to high income lifetime earners and those in a better economic situation than those without it. It's kinda like how republicans want fixes to undocumented migration before they consider amnesty for those here. Democrats need to have a good plan for college cost before cancellation is revisited. At the very least, they should really modernize the current cancellation programs in place (there's like 20+ programs for it) and also constantly work to make sure FAFSA funding is going to who it needs to for economic mobility. I'm a firm believer access to and quality of college is more important than the debt itself. You can get those without having most people tuition publicly subsidized.

Back