Leon Edward made a career out of fighting old men.

This isn't boxing son. 35 is not old in MMA, Cormier and Randy were world champions in this sport in their early 40's.
There was an image going around when Usman was about to fight Leon in the rematch that said the records of fighters over 35 years old in championship fights from 135 to 170 was 2-25. Right now it has to be 2-28 at least with both Usman and Colby wins from Leon and Islam against Volk.

205 and 265 doesn't matter. Old man glover became champ in 205. The skill level in those divisions is a joke.

So was he supposed to turn down a title fight because usman was too old?
No, the issue is, we are saying Colby didn't deserve any of the title shots because he was barely active and was only fighting old bums when the same applies to Leon. Didn't fight Wonderboy, didn't fight Till back then, didn't fight Woodley, didn't fight Burns, didn't fight Masvidal, didn't fight Neal, managed to avoid Shavkat and Khamzat. Sure, Dana is to blame for some of these but both Colby and Leon didn't deserve their shots

I guess beating high ranked fighters doesn’t count if they’re in their mid 30s now?
High rank doesn't mean as much as you think when these contenders sit down for a year waiting for their title shots while they avoid the rising prospects. Colby is 35. Who has he beat since he turned 33? Yeah, "high ranked fighters" my ass...

High rank doesn't mean as much as you think when these contenders sit down for a year waiting for their title shots while they avoid the rising prospects. Colby is 35. Who has he beat since he turned 33? Yeah, "high ranked fighters" my ass...
Well I guess it’s a good thing that Colby isn’t the only person he’s fought

No, the issue is, we are saying Colby didn't deserve any of the title shots because he was barely active and was only fighting old bums when the same applies to Leon. Didn't fight Wonderboy, didn't fight Till back then, didn't fight Woodley, didn't fight Burns, didn't fight Masvidal, didn't fight Neal, managed to avoid Shavkat and Khamzat. Sure, Dana is to blame for some of these but both Colby and Leon didn't deserve their shots
But Mas, Tyrone and wonder boy are all old too so if leon wouldve fought and beat those guys people would just complain about that too. Was shavkat even ranked when Leon was promised his title shot? I get what you're saying but Colby picked and chose who he fought and Leon just fought who was put in front of him, that's the difference. And even if Leon didn't deserve it he cashed in on it and is going to have to defend against guys like shavlat, Neil and burns now

Seems like this is an organizational issue where the same guys get title shots all the time

Lmfao and 9-1-1 Colby got his title shot off the backs of washed old men! Fuck outta here op

Usman basically has the same resume as Colby so really, the whole WW division has been overrated since GSP retired.

Since USADA.

Usman and Colby only thrived when all the goat era welterweights started fading from the reduced PEDs. Both are limited fighters. College wrestling + basic boxing.

Usman basically has the same resume as Colby so really, the whole WW division has been overrated since GSP retired.
Colby does not have the same resume as Usman, cut it out.

Colby does not have the same resume as Usman, cut it out.
I never said they had the same resume. Cut what out?

Usman has a couple more wins in Leon and the guy people call "Bloated LW"...... That's it.

I never said they had the same resume. Cut what out?

Usman has a couple more wins in Leon and the guy people call "Bloated LW"...... That's it.
Usman has a win against the current MiddleWeight Champ. Covington could only hope to have a win on that level on his trash ass resume.
Shit, the Usman's win over Gilbert Burns shit's all over Covington resume.

Usman was 15-0 in the UFC when Leon KO’d him.

15-0

RDA 35
Nate diaz 36
Usman 35
Colby 35
and now belal 36-37...

y'all call out Colby for fighting old men...but forget Edward also made a career out of fighting old men.

It's true, Leon hasn't fought the next guard yet. Will be interesting to see him vs Shavkat and also to see how guys like Jack Della and whoever else develop. Jack needs a good gym though, his conditioning isn't on point at all and neither is his grappling....still way more dangerous than Diaz or RDA by a mile.

At ww if youre not fighting old men it means youre not good

I'll let you pick from any MMA fighter throughout the HISTORY OF MMA that you think has the BEST record

and I'll pick it apart

It can be done with everyone

Usman has a win against the current MiddleWeight Champ. Covington could only hope to have a win on that level on his trash ass resume.
Shit, the Usman's win over Gilbert Burns shit's all over Covington resume.
What's special about the Strickland win? He never proved he was an elite WW at any point. Court Mcgee has a win over Robert Whittaker at WW.....

His best win was what, a split decision over Tom Breese when he fought Usman?

Tbh this sort of resume criticism at Waiting Weight is irelevant because it applies to everyone.

Marty was a dominant champ leading to all relevant contenders waiting around for a title shot they were sure was coming because Marty would beat everyone in front of them in line.

The situation is what it is, Leon deserves no credit or blame for his pre champ resume it is a byproduct of the era he fought in.

Back