Let’s assume that after the bell punch didn’t happen...

You ever seen the inside of a slaughterhouse?

Come on man, Cowboy was broken at the end of round 2! If they go 5 rounds then they should have a priest in the corner of Cerrone and a closed gasket because it won’t be a pretty killing!

Cerrone has wilted under pressure in the past but he looks like a new fighter since he became a father. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he still had a chance to win it in the 3rd.

there's already no doubt.

Unfortunately between the doctor stoppage and the late hit after the bell, I think a lot of fans would think otherwise. Personally I don't think the punch after the bell made a difference but either way I'd love to see a rematch in a 5 rounder.

Let’s just say that I don’t wanna think about it because everyone’s pretty much summed it up....it would not have been good for cowboys long term health

I think Cerrone blew his nose for his kids sake.

Obviously I doubt a different outcome but the fact remains that he got punched in the nose after the bell then blew his nose and that is what stopped the fight.
So the Illegal punch came, then no more action, then the stoppage so to me it should have been a NC.

Edit: so imagine no late punch and then because of no late punch Cerrone doest feel the need to blow his nose. That then gives him the possibility to still win the fight. Whether he could have still won the fight or not is irrelevant because he was stripped of that chance.

I was wondering if Cowboys corner should stop the fight instead of letting him get beat down more. In boxing it would be normal to see a fight end when someone is getting beat up like that but mma teams think thier fighters need to get beat into unconsciousness.

It's hard not to imagine things going bad for Cowboy, but I can see a 30% chance of fighting going the distance or turning towards Cerrone via takedown or something.

That being said, there's a whopping 70% chance of ending up bad for Cowboy.

Cowboy all day buddy, he gave Tony the second round to save some energy ;)

It's hard to see anything other than more of the same for round 3. Tony really put a beating on him in round 2.

The reality is that Tony needs to get his shit under control so something like this doesn't mess up a title fight. It gets ridiculous when this same 'he would have won anyway if the dirty thing didn't happen' conversation happens several times for the same fighter.

I was rooting for Cowboy but my head said Tony. I think Tony would have just given him a savage beating in the 3rd. That being said I'd love to see them run it back. Make it a 5 rounder main event and let there be no doubt as to who is the better fighter.
You couldn't tell who the better fighter was on Saturday? Cerrone did worse than I thought he would

Cowboy all day buddy, he gave Tony the second round to save some energy ;)
He gave him the first round for the same reason?

Tony won both rounds on all 3 scorecards.

Tony handily outlanded Cerrone in both rounds.

Probably a 10-8 round for Ferguson or a TKO but Cerrone could have landed a head kick and gotten the win, it's impossible to say for sure.

Cowboy's right eye is thanking his nose for blowing it.

Yeah Cowboy would likely get overwhelmed and the ref would’ve stopped in within 1-2 minutes.

Anyone that is entertaining the idea of a 3rd round really hates Cowboy.

"Hey, this legend of the sport is getting mauled in there. He's exhausted and broken. His face is a mess. His nose and orbital are broken. He looks like he wants to be literally anywhere else than locked inside a cage with the lunatic who's giving him this beating. Oh, and that lunatic is showing no damage and actually somehow looks MORE fresh than when the fight started. So...what should we do here?"

**shrug** "Let's send him out for round 3 and see what happens."

Bunch of sadists here LOL.

Serious answer from me

He would
Have turtled against the cage and waited for the referee

Similar to Rory vs robbie 2

Cowboy doesnt have the boxing to keep Tony at bay. I would have liked to see Donald throw more front kicks or oblique kicks.

I think overall his new camp is good for him, but I bet Jackson-Wink would have had a much better gameplan for him against Tony.

Back