Let me explain why Dom got screwed over

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
To all sherbros who are new to this sport.

Dominick was coming off a lay off for almost half a decade. It takes a lil time to get into the groove, especially against someone so athletic and has more power than u.

Dominck had a good chance of winning this fight if he could get settled and find his distance and timing better.

Dominick did not get seriously hurt from the blow. It may rocked him and he fell but not really hurt.

I dont think people understand that ref included how difficult it is to get away from top level wrestler when they get on top of you. And midget he is, he is still a gold medalist. I never ever competed at a high level, but brief moments that i got to practice a lil with wrestlers who went on to nationals was they were extremely strong.

Dominick, i repeat, wasnt even remotely close to being out. He wasnt hurt, as evidenced by his action right after. Nor were the punches from his back even CLOSE to doing any significant damage. Dominick was trying to get up FULLY conscious.
If refs are allowed to stop a fight like that, then Nog would have never had his arm broken, Edgar would have never won his title, Jake would have never wrestlefudged Hendo and the list goes on.

The ref made a massive, massive mistake. If u think otherwise, you dont know much about MMA, it appears.

Dominick got screwed. Not a big fan tho, but still. Kinda messed up to do that to a guy.

Dominick was coming off a lay off for almost half a decade. It takes a lil time to get into the groove, especially against someone so athletic and has more power than u.

Dominck had a good chance of winning this fight if he could get settled and find his distance and timing better.

Dominick did not get seriously hurt from the blow. It may rocked him and he fell but not really hurt.

I dont think people understand that ref included how difficult it is to get away from top level wrestler when they get on top of you. And midget he is, he is still a gold medalist. I never ever competed at a high level, but brief moments that i got to practice a lil with wrestlers who went on to nationals was they were extremely strong.

Dominick, i repeat, wasnt even remotely close to being out. He wasnt hurt, as evidenced by his action right after. Nor were the punches from his back even CLOSE to doing any significant damage. Dominick was trying to get up FULLY conscious.
If refs are allowed to stop a fight like that, then Nog would have never had his arm broken, Edgar would have never won his title, Jake would have never wrestlefudged Hendo and the list goes on.

The ref made a massive, massive mistake. If u think otherwise, you dont know much about MMA, it appears.

Dominick got screwed. Not a big fan tho, but still. Kinda messed up to do that to a guy.
It wasn’t the most obvious stoppage ever but I think the story line that it was a horrific, and horrible stoppage is overplayed right now.

We saw one much worse a few months back on a fight night where the two guys were in a fire fight totally on the feet and one of them wobbled slightly and the ref waived the fight off.
IMO it’s not this single call that’s terrible, it’s the lack of consistency.

It looks really bad when you get knocked on your ass then get face planted twice while not blocking 10 punches to your face

He got kneed in the face, rocked and drop badly then ate about a dozen unanswered undefended punches on the mat. The stoppage only looked bad because he was starting to get back up, but him starting to get back up and the stoppage happened virtually simultaneously. I get why Dom is pissed, but I absolutely understand why the ref stepped in. Ironically, very few would be complaining had the fight been stopped a split second before... you know, when the ref actually made the decision to stop it.

It looks really bad when you get knocked on your ass then get face planted twice while not blocking 10 punches to your face
Cruz was blocking those punches. With his face.

Oh boy, here we go.

Exactly why he shouldn't have been in this fight in the first place. He's lucky enough to have even gotten that, and by HIS OWN ADMISSION: there's no such thing as ring rust. So you're disagreeing with Dominick with this very post.

Maybe, but it's HIS responsiblity to last that long.

Possibly. But refs don't stop the fight just cuz you're hurt, they stop the fight when you're taking offense and not defending yourself, like he wasn't.

Oh you can read ref's minds? Can you read anyone's minds? Can you read mine right now? shut the fuck up

I repeat, it doesn't matter. He got dropped, and he got up after the ref decided to stop it. Yes, Dom was conscious and standing up when contact was made, but the ref moved to stop the fight when he wasn't doing those things.

Bullshit on Nog, his arm would have been broken because he was fighting until it broke. Edgar never stopped moving. A lot of those fighters kept moving. There's a lot of fights that are MUCH better examples and hills to die on, this one is not. And Dom himself said that you can't complain about a ref stoppage after it happens when it happened to TJ, so again, you're arguing against Dom.

This one point I'm going to make is not arguable in the least. It is pure fact. You can call this stoppage bad. But if you do that, you have to do that on timing alone. Ref's stopping fights are not instantaneous, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the time he started moving forward to stop it. The unfortunate timing meant Dom started standing up AFTER that decision was made. Complain about the stoppage all you want, but the ref was at no fault here whatsoever.

I was rooting for him. But he did lose, and he is still a little bitch.

Last edited:
OP be like
LilPete4.gif

I was expecting two things to happen
- ref stops the fight right there
-Dom flails some more and gets KO stiff

but yeah.. watch Pat Barry vs Kongo.. If he’s not out- he still had a chance.... to do what? KO Cejudo? Does Dom have that scary KO power? Nah.

LeanCooperativeAgouti-size_restricted.gif

@JustOnce

I'll be awaiting your thesis on why Takanori Gomi would be considered the best fighter ever under the right circumstances.
{<jordan}{<jordan}

In real time I called it a bad stoppage in the pbp. But to say he got screwed is just wrong. There’s way too much of that in here after every single card.

It hasn't a horrible stoppage by any means.

Cruz needs to stop crying. No more nonsense.

Dom didn’t deserve this titleshot or his past one being inactive on average at 3 years at a time than jumping in front (Yan in this case) makes a mockery of this sport. Im glad CCC put the mental midget in his place and hope Dom leaves the sport.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded seeing the fight continue, but it wasn't a terrible stoppage. He got rocked and then face planted twice while eating follow up shots. He started getting up right as the ref was waving it off, so I get why people are upset.

IllfatedPleasingElectriceel-size_restricted.gif

If you are saying Dom got screwed over, then it confirms Keith Peterson made the right decision

I think that face down ass up position looks real bad to a referee. You don't want to be the guy who allows a Carwin/Mir y'know

Really disappointing ending. Dom was really starting to take control before that Knee landed--my money would have been on him to win at that point if he didn't get caught.

Really bad stoppage, Dom was intelligently defending himself--he was getting up--which was his best chance at that moment.

He fell on his forehead two times, his muscles losing tension...

He recovered quickly enough, so it indeed wasn't best stoppage in hindsight.

But right there, right then, ref had seen doing the ostrich, and they're suppose to react to that.

What is this from? It reminds me of an anime I saw a long time ago where a young girl was made to have 4 invisible arms and she chopped mofos up with them but she was sweet an innocent and hurt on the inside. I THINK it was called Elven Lied. It reminds me of that. What is this pls?

I wouldn't have minded seeing the fight continue, but it wasn't a terrible stoppage. He got rocked and then face planted twice while eating follow up shots. He started getting up right as the ref was waving it off, so I get why people are upset.

IllfatedPleasingElectriceel-size_restricted.gif

He never face planted in that gif. He as moving his hed left and right and tucking his chin. Dom never stopped moving/defending, he then took a chance to standup (the best move he could do), which exposed him to a few more rabbit punches that didn't have much affect and the fight was stopped.

What is this from? It reminds me of an anime I saw a long time ago where a young girl was made to have 4 invisible arms and she chopped mofos up with them but she was sweet an innocent and hurt on the inside. I THINK it was called Elven Lied. It reminds me of that. What is this pls?

Lmao. "If you disagree with me, you're not a real MMA fan". Get over yourself.

The stoppage was fine. Do I think that Dom was conscious and potentially could have escaped that position and fought on at the moment Keith separated them? Yeah, I do. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Keith just saw Dom get rocked and dropped with a knee to the dome and was watching closely as Henry jumped on him with unanswered, unblocked punches to the head. One of said punches clocked Dom hard enough to cause him to lose his base, making his arms fall out from underneath him as he face-planted onto the canvas. To any responsible ref who has been watching the events of the preceding seconds, that's a cooked fighter. That is when Peterson began moving in.

It's simply bad luck (and a testament to Dom's toughness) that in the split seconds between that happening and Keith arriving to physically lay hands on Cejudo, Dom had already started to rebuild his base again. But you can't expect a ref who is already committed to getting in there and stopping that shit now to notice that amidst a flurry of manlet activity and skid to a halt to give Dom yet another chance. It's not realistic. Justified stoppage.

And for a guy like Dom whose calling card all these years has been "anything you say after your losses are just excuses"... he sure does have a lot of excuses to make in the aftermath of this one.

I dont think people understand that ref included how difficult it is to get away from top level wrestler when they get on top of you. And midget he is, he is still a gold medalist.

Thanks for clarifying that. While I watched, I thought it would be a piece of cake for him to escape and that doing so would just be a matter of shaking the cobwebs out of his head. Now that you've explained it's actually difficult, I see Cruz was in a much more compromised position than I thought, so I applaud the ref for saving him.
Cruz' mouthing off leading up to the fight had me convinced that Cejudo's stature rendered him completely feckless. It seems he convinced you as well.

No offense bro, but you sound like you have never been hit really hard in your life, he looked absolutely stunned from that kick, and any human being with a will to live will try to turn away and get up as long as they are conscious, but it doesn't mean he could defend himself and wasn't hurt, he was 100% hurt. Of course 2 minutes later he is up and acts normal and like he's not even hurt, but a guy can wake up after getting knocked out 30 seconds later and say he's fine, you still send him to get checked out.

A lot of people (myself included) can't stand Cruz. Most of them are pretending this was a good stoppage because of their bias against him. It wasn't.

Not the worst in the world, but very clearly early.

We can't use a fighter's status, or the outcomes of other fights, as justification for THIS fight. A ref should be exclusively focused on whether a fighter is able to defend themselves and whether they are in serious jeopardy of injruy/damage beyond what is to be expected in a sanctioned fight if it continues.

Movement and being conscious are TERRIBLE barometers in isolation...look no further than Curran/Warren for an extreme example of that...there needs to be more.

We also can't just look at the immediate aftermath... we need to evaluate a stoppage from the ref's perspective in the moment. The ref does not have the luxuries of multiple camera angles, replays, and time to think about it. We need to ask, was it understandable why he chose to stop the fight IN THE MOMENT.

So I'm not disputing that it was not a good stoppage...and I generally favour early rather than late stoppages...but it also wasn't a horrible one and the criteria of 'not being out' and still moving, and getting up as it had been waived off, are just not great criteria to use when judging a stoppage.

To be clear, I think the ref should have let it continue...just talking about how we evaluate the situation.

Intelligent defense also means moving out of danger and not just covering up. You don't stop a fight when the hurt fighter gets into a better position. You stop it if he can't get out or if it gets worse. There was plenty of time to see this, as it wasn't a quick stoppage.

I think this is part of the unknown of MMA though.
If he lets the fight continue, and Dom was shook, he would be blamed and curse over like Mazzagatti was.
There's no way to know what will gonna happen next, and the ref's ultimate job is to safeguard fighter's health.

That means: in case of doubt, stop early.

And he did. It sucks.
But it is what it is.

Lmao. "If you disagree with me, you're not a real MMA fan". Get over yourself.

That's TS' specialty. A lot (most?) of his threads have that snobbish tone to them.

I do agree though that the stoppage was early. I don't think it's one of the worst stoppages ever and I do see the ref's point of view but yeah, I think it was a tad bit early.

I think it's called Tokyo Ghoul, also Elfen was fucking insane but the animation was trash

The thing that is getting overlooked here is that there was literally 2 seconds left in the round. The ref made a bad call, guys. He could've let the round finish, at the very least, and then assessed Dom's situation. Most of the shots on the ground missed, and Cruz was actively moving and trying to avoid the strikes. He wasn't limp. He wasn't taking flush unanswered shots. This was a title fight. Early stoppages with 2 seconds left shouldn't happen.

11 unanswered punches and no attempt to defend himself. He says he was getting up, but didn’t look like it. He arms noodled up at one point. If he had been conscious, he would’ve covered up.

The stoppage was fine.

He had nothing for Henry who is stronger, faster, better wrestler, hits way harder and has endless cardio. LMAO at people going "but, but anything can happen in a fight". Get a grip, this is Dominick Cruz, not Yoel Romero ffs.

Back