Crime Letitia James Under Pressure to Prosecute Jon Stewart for selling his New York home 829% over market value

White Whale

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

People on social media have called for New York Attorney General Letitia James to prosecute late-night show host Jon Stewart as she did former President Donald Trump after it was reported that Stewart sold his city apartment for $15.6 million more than it was worth.

On Wednesday, the New York Post reported that Stewart sold his Tribeca penthouse in 2014 for $17.5 million. At the time, the 6,280-square-foot property had a market value of about $1.882 million, according to the City of New York's Assessment Roll 2013-2014, making the sale price roughly 830 percent higher.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Jon Stewart sold his New York way over its market value and according to himself that is not a victimless crime.

Wait your turn,

Get in line…

People on social media have called for New York Attorney General Letitia James to prosecute late-night show host Jon Stewart as she did former President Donald Trump after it was reported that Stewart sold his city apartment for $15.6 million more than it was worth.

On Wednesday, the New York Post reported that Stewart sold his Tribeca penthouse in 2014 for $17.5 million. At the time, the 6,280-square-foot property had a market value of about $1.882 million, according to the City of New York's Assessment Roll 2013-2014, making the sale price roughly 830 percent higher.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Jon Stewart sold his New York way over its market value and according to himself that is not a victimless crime.

Hey look, another idiot who latched on to this garbage article to try to minimize Trump's criminal behavior.

Here's a tip. If your "gotcha" article cites Tim Pool's opinion to back up their claims, it's not accurate or credible.

giphy.gif

for the crime of selling his house for too much?

Nothing illegal about selling your home over suggested market value. This is not uncommon in New York City either. Please show us how you don’t know the difference. Read beyond the headlines and “internet backlash”.

Obviously trumps case is totally political. We know because that bimbo ran on getting the man. We also know because nobody has standing and there were no damages. All that said this is a stupid comparison.

Did he fraudulently claim that the property was larger or something? Otherwise this is just lazy deflecting.
"Everything that you just listed off is done by every real estate developer everywhere on Earth in every city. This has never been prosecuted,” O’Leary replied.

In response, Stewart asked: “How is he not this mad about overvaluations in the real world?”

“Because they are not victimless crimes,” he said.

To further his point, Stewart argued that “money isn’t infinite. A loan that goes to the liar doesn’t go to someone who’s giving a more honest evaluation. So the system becomes incentivized for corruption.”

Stewart also contended that failing to declare a higher market value on a property, while paying taxes based on a lower assessed value, constitutes fraudulent behavior.

“The attorney general of New York knew that Trump’s property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties,” Stewart added. “It was all part of a very specific real estate practice known as lying.”

In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million.

The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records.

But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million.

The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.

Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.

Pande, who purchased the penthouse from Stewart, then resold the property at a nearly 26% loss, according to the Real Deal — at just over $13 million — in 2021.

Jon Stewart by his own logic committed a crime.

You misspelled 'retarded', retard.

Lol, last I checked "different" doesn't have brackets in it. Don't act like you didnt realize my phone auto-corrected and I didnt correct it as soon as I saw it.

Especially to attempt to sidestep the fact that you're a moron if you think this is in any way similar to Trump's fraudulent valuations.

Obviously trumps case is totally political. We know because that bimbo ran on getting the man. We also know because nobody has standing and there were no damages. All that said this is a stupid comparison.
I thought they said the real estate evaluations in the city were underestimated commonly and no one else was going to be put up to the same scrutiny. Enter John Stewart

Lol, last I checked "different" doesn't have brackets in it. Don't act like you didnt realize my phone auto-corrected and I didnt correct it as soon as I saw it.

Especially to attempt to sidestep the fact that you're a moron if you think this is in any way similar to Trump's fraudulent valuations.

It is similar and you are retarded.

Back