Crime Letitia James Under Pressure to Prosecute Jon Stewart for selling his New York home 829% over market value

So after Stewart sold his penthouse, he could have bought Mar-A-Lago.

Crazy.

Jon Stewart by his own logic committed a crime.
You have to be dense to ignore the fact that he was discussing fraud...aka reporting false square footage, etc. That's the actual legal issue, not whether or not someone overpaid or underpaid for a property.

People on social media have called for New York Attorney General Letitia James to prosecute late-night show host Jon Stewart as she did former President Donald Trump after it was reported that Stewart sold his city apartment for $15.6 million more than it was worth.

On Wednesday, the New York Post reported that Stewart sold his Tribeca penthouse in 2014 for $17.5 million. At the time, the 6,280-square-foot property had a market value of about $1.882 million, according to the City of New York's Assessment Roll 2013-2014, making the sale price roughly 830 percent higher.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Jon Stewart sold his New York way over its market value and according to himself that is not a victimless crime.
What is the alleged crime Stewart committed? It just sounds like he purchased low and sold when the market was doing well. People are paying taxes on home values below market cost all the time. Very common for a home owner to be paying property taxes on below market value.

The Stewart thing is absolute nonsense, but that I agree with.
Do you know the actual difference between the two(legally speaking), or are you just going along with the narrative that it is in fact different?

Not trying to be combative, but it seems like a lot of people are just being led by headlines, and don't actually know what the fuck the big deal is. I mean, when other real estate investors are saying it's bullshit, and the governor of the state has to put their minds at ease by essentially saying they won't hold them to the same standard as Trump, it's probably bullshit.

LMAO! You morons never learn. This attempt at a gotcha has been so fucking entertaining, especially the dumbasses that are doubling down and won't admit they fell for it. Goddamn I love this site sometimes.

Do you know the actual difference between the two(legally speaking), or are you just going along with the narrative that it is in fact different?

Not trying to be combative, but it seems like a lot of people are just being led by headlines, and don't actually know what the fuck the big deal is. I mean, when other real estate investors are saying it's bullshit, and the governor of the state has to put their minds at ease by essentially saying they won't hold them to the same standard as Trump, it's probably bullshit.
My answer probably wasn't clear enough. I agree with @ColemanwastheGOAT, although he's identifying the wrong person. It wasn't the DA who reassured estate investors. It was Hochul (which is even worse). If I was Trump, I'd investigate big NY Democrat donors who invest in real estate. The whole thing is a sham.

The Stewart accusations are ludicrous. It's Republicans looking to get even with something making zero sense. It makes them look stupid.

Vice media overvalued the shit out of their company to get a $400 million cash injection, then filed for bankruptcy just a few years later, and they're also in NYC. I'll save you the suspense, she's not going to sue them either. I mean they already said the rules only apply to Trump, she ran her campaign on abusing her office to go after political opponents, was tweeting from her official account gloating about the preposterous amount of the ruling, then liking and retweeting her own post from her personal account, giving interviews about which properties she wanted to seize from him, then the governor came out and told investors "please don't leave, Trump is the only one we're going after". It's not like they're keeping it a secret that it's political persecution.

It's not even a legal issue that this turns on. They just aren't the same thing. One is illegal, and one isn't. All Stewart did was manage to sell his house at a premium, well above what it was listed. Now if he doesn't pay the taxes on the sales price, that's one thing. But that's not at issue.

Trump clearly issued fraudulent evaluations of his home to both skimp on paying taxes and securing loans at better rates. Both illegal, and both are unjust enrichment.

My answer probably wasn't clear enough. I agree with @ColemanwastheGOAT, although he's identifying the wrong person. It wasn't the DA who reassured estate investors. It was Hochul (which is even worse). If I was Trump, I'd investigate big NY Democrat donors who invest in real estate. The whole thing is a sham.
Coleman is lying. Read what Hochul said:

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) addressed New York business owners in a new interview and told them there was “nothing to worry about” after former President Trump was hit with a $355 million fine and a ban on conducting business in New York for three years.

“I think that this is really an extraordinary, unusual circumstance that the law-abiding and rule-following New Yorkers who are business people have nothing to worry about, because they’re very different than Donald Trump and his behavior,” Hochul responded.

The governor provided reassurance to New York businesses after the ruling. “By and large, they are honest people and they’re not trying to hide their assets and they’re following the rules.

She's saying that the behavior is not, contrary to what Trump fans claim, common. She's not saying that other people can get away with the same behavior.

Especially to attempt to sidestep the fact that you're a moron if you think this is in any way similar to Trump's fraudulent valuations.

Tell us you know nothing about realestate lending without telling us that you know nothing about realestate lending..

It's not even a legal issue that this turns on. They just aren't the same thing. One is illegal, and one isn't. All Stewart did was manage to sell his house at a premium, well above what it was listed. Now if he doesn't pay the taxes on the sales price, that's one thing. But that's not at issue.

Trump clearly issued fraudulent evaluations of his home to both skimp on paying taxes and securing loans at better rates. Both illegal, and both are unjust enrichment.

but they are the same thing! tim pool told me!

Tell us you know nothing about realestate lending without telling us that you know nothing about realestate lending..
How is the Stewart situation the same as Trump's?

A buyer paid Stewart above the assessed value of his penthouse. How is this similar to Trump deliberatly inflating the square footage and value of his properties to get favorable loan rates?

Sometimes classic cars and art (at auction) sell for way way above projected value.

Coleman is lying. Read what Hochul said:

She's saying that the behavior is not, contrary to what Trump fans claim, common. She's not saying that other people can get away with the same behavior.
Sure, Jack. That's why the investors had to be reassured by the fucking GOVERNOR that they wouldn't be held to the same standard. These real estate moguls who looked at this case and went "Uhhh, say what now?", were all just worried about nothing. They don't know what they're talking about, right?

You're such a pathetic hack.

right, except that the banks are far better assessors than the government. The idea that they didnt know what they were getting into is also intellectually dishonest.
I don’t follow. The banks Trump lied to should have known he was lying?

he didn't defraud the state. the state decides what your property is worth and you pay what they tell you and no amount of fudging the numbers will change that or else everyone and mother would claim their land's worth nothing so they pay less property tax.

he had a private deal with a bank, who did their own due diligence and lent him the money so who tf got defrauded? did donny's "lies" make him pay less taxes? someone explain this to me, hopefully a Very Smart Democrat, preferably a monocle wearing intellectual.

Back