Let's Discuss TDI Knives

pettiskick***

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many of you fine folks here at Sherdog are familiar with these?:
TS-KALSERR_540.jpg

It's called the TDI(Tactical Defense Institute) Law Enforcement Knife. They are also available with straight and partially serrated edges. I took Handgun Level I and II at TDI(I'm not a cop just a licensed civilian) two years ago and I remember John Benner praising these knives as excellent tools for handgun retention. He said he advised carrying them on your weakside opposite your handgun to use in case someone tried to take your handgun from the holster. Can anyone point me to a video of how to properly use one? My understanding is that they're slashing weapons. Finally, does anyone have an opinion of this knife being used as a primary weapon rather than just a weakside retention tool?

Last edited:
I like the idea of the TDI knife, but as with most things knife related, I prefer traditional grip angles and blade shape so when I wears out me big boots, there be a scally wagged KaBar Tanto full size on there. It's long yes, but thin, very thin and very light, if the poo comes down to pulling a back up knife, I want it to penetrate, keep the attack as far away from me as possible and inflict maximum damage...

yes, that was pirate in there matey.

noz_black_kabar_tanto_det.jpg

The TDI is a good street blade and I own one myself. The blade is small but you don't need a big knife for everyday carry. The only drawback is that since it is a fixed blade you have to carry it on the belt and it has to be showing per California Penal Code. I usually carry a folder at all times and keep it clipped to the inside of my right pocket so I don't attract attention. Big fixed blades are only good for out in the field and should not be carried for everyday use.

Thanks for your input guys. Teamcarvalho, I know what you mean about knife laws. I'm from KY so my carry permit allows me to legally carry fixed blades. However when I cross the river into nearby Ohio I have to remember to remove any fixed blades from my car and body yet I'm still allowed to take my handguns. Figures. BTW Razor, nice tanto!

Does anyone know whether I would be better off with a serrated or straight edge if this knife were to be strictly for self defense?

I have the TDI knife. The knife is fine but the sheath got too loose too fast so I don't carry it anymore.

Back