Let's have a serious talk about the idea that "Conor is set for life".

VenomCarnage

R.I.P. FRANKIENYC
@Brown
Reaction score
A common idea as of late is that Conor McGregor never has to fight again. People mainly say this due to his earnings off the back of his mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather, as well as his newly launched Whiskey brand, Proper Twelve.

I'm here to debunk this idea.

$100 Million payday?

He didn't make $100 million from the Mayweather fight.

It's a cool statement, it sounds big, it's a nice round figure, but he didn't make close to that.

If Conor had been his own promotional company here with no UFC involvement, then perhaps I could believe that, but that simply wasn't the case. The UFC (Dana mainly) are masters of deception. What was the thing you kept hearing during the promotion?

"We are doing Conor a favor with this one, he's done so much for us"
"The UFC won't make anything from this event, this isn't financially viable for us, but we owe him one"
"The UFC won't be promoting this fight, this is a Showtime gig"

To those statements I ask you one question, do you think I was born yesterday!?

The UFC are set to have their main attraction fight against the biggest PPV star of all-time and they are just going to allow it for a minor fee? Some of the dirtiest businessmen in the game will only take a 5% cut or something minimal like that, right?

Paulie Malignaggi hates Conor but he also knows the boxing game. Paulie much like myself believes there is no way he made $100 million and believes that the UFC would have taken close to 50%. When you factor in management fees, coaching fees, taxes in both Ireland and the US, he would have made closer to $40 million which is more like €35 million.

Can Conor McGregor live off of €35 million? Sure he could, but I don't think with his spending habits that it would last forever, unless he wants to downsize and calm down the habits vastly.

Proper Twelve will make him a Billion?

Again this is a case of drinking the proverbial kool-aid for most.

Dana spouting this nonsense of "he's doing big things with this Whiskey, he's going to make a billion off of it." You guys really think because it's a cool, fashionable purchase, today that it'll be around in a year or two?

Ever heard of Haig Club?

I remember when David Beckham was the face of that brand, and everyone was running around calling it "David Beckham's whiskey". I remember when Ludacris had Conjure, or Jay-Z launched D'usse.

These guys are worth more than Conor could dream of, and all of their alcohol brands haven't exactly become the most popular in the world. All these companies are backed by huge French alcohol houses which are worth billions, you honestly think a cage fighter on the decline of his career will turn into some expert whiskey salesmen?

You want me to think that a cage fighter is going to turn a grassroots Whiskey brand into a competitor of Jameson which has existed for close to 300 years and is worth €1.68bn.

Funniest thing of all, everyone who buys it says it tastes like shit lol. Why would you ever go back and continue to buy that from a bar or a store if you didn't even like it? It's a fad, a craze, a fashion item, that's all it is.

Sorry guys, I don't see it and I personally think Proper Twelve will be off the shelves come 2021.

Verdict: Conor will be back fighting by the end of the year.

Last edited:

He retired before. MMA retirements aren't real.

giphy.gif

He definitely should be set for life but very wealthy people have fucked up their finances before. Having a coke addiction isn't a plus. See: Mike Tyson.

Last edited:
Forbes has him at 99 million

He's set for life if he wants to be. As said rich people spend a lot. Conor isn't set for life in his current lifestyle.

TLDR

Whether someone is "set for life" depends on their spending habits. Someone can be set for life with 200k, and someone else can piss away 200 million.

But Conor has a lot of business ventures so as long as they stand up he's most likely set for life.

It was 1:30am. He was drunk. He’s not retiring.

Forbes has him at 99 million
$30 million vs Mayweather (McGregor's guaranteed disclosed paycheck was $30 million)
$30 million in the UFC

I've him at $60 million.

<mma4>

You put some good effort into this.

If he retires, good for him. If he fights again, cool I'll watch.

Ur broke ass has literally no idea what ur talking about imo

Conor’s business sense put him in the position to go from welfare to multi-millionaire in a few years. It will prevent him from growing broke.

Last edited:
If you cant live off 35 million for the rest of your life, you're doing it wrong

It doesn’t matter how much he made. It matters how much he invested and how much he spends.

That’s why lottery winners go broke. They don’t invest, they spend. If this whiskey thing is legit, he will be fine.

Anyone thinking he only has around 35 million needs their head testing.
He has been making bank long before the mayweather fight, and afterwards as well.

Lol the haters can’t stand Conor sailing into the sunset.

But they can’t hope for him losing fights now so now they’ve resorted to thinking deeply and hoping about ways he’ll go broke.

Conor’s too smart to go broke. Lol at comparing him to Tyson.

Conor Bless you confused bums.

I do think he will come back to fight (maybe a single fight) but I disagree about him not being set for life with his cash.
Honestly the only thing that could sabotage his finances is if he does coke and drops thousands every night in clubs.
But if he leaves his wealth to a good team of accountants and financial advisors, he is indeed set for life.
Not to mention his brand generates lots of potential business, if he can milk it for the next decade.

Ur broke ass has literally no idea what ur talking about imo

Conor’s business sense put him in the position to go from welfare to multi-millionaire in a few years. It will prevent him from growing broke.
Did it prevent Mike Tyson?

How about Eric Snow who went from having the world when he signed his NBA contract, to getting injured and retiring and having to completely downsize his life?

Do your research before you get high and mighty.

Also - I'm broke? How much you make a year dude?

I've him at $60 million.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I’d assume forbes has the resources to more Accurately determine his net worth over some random nobody on an mma forum

Back