Lets talk about the Bo Nickal Tax

I don't get why he's still getting hype. We've seen what elite wrestling in the cage looks like, even if it's unrefined for mma yet

Bo doesn't look anything like how a 6 fight experience Khamzat looked like when he entered the UFC. Bo's last fight against Brummage was his 6th fight. He doesn't have that super elite wrestling we were promised.

Why would Bo agree to that, and why would the UFC want to risk ruining a prospect by matching him up with the top of the division before he's even had a few fights?

Why would the supposed premier MMA org sign a guy greener than a pepper tree in the first place? This ain't a development program

Why would the supposed premier MMA org sign a guy greener than a pepper tree in the first place? This ain't a development program
I think it's a safe assumption that you're a big complainer about "muh fighter pay", so who would it help for them to cut everyone who either isn't ready for top 10? Just tell them to fight for $300 on the regional circuit for a few more years and come back later.

Do you think they should cut 2/3 of the roster for not being top 10?

I think it's a safe assumption that you're a big complainer about "muh fighter pay", so who would it help for them to cut everyone who either isn't ready for top 10? Just tell them to fight for $300 on the regional circuit for a few more years and come back later.

Do you think they should cut 2/3 of the roster for not being top 10?

I don't care about fighter pay and have never complained. Commission reports are only a part of the story and a lot of times we get estimates from dubious journalists, so we never know what's actually happening.

And yes, they should cut 2/3 of the roster. It's way too bloated.

I don't care about fighter pay and have never complained. Commission reports are only a part of the story and a lot of times we get estimates from dubious journalists, so we never know what's actually happening.

And yes, they should cut 2/3 of the roster. It's way too bloated.
fighter pay is an issue if even sean strickland is talking about it lol

but i agree, the ufc shouldn't round up so many fighters if they refuse to pay them fairly.

Cariaso was coming off a loss in a title fight. Cejudo is someone they brought in a pushed toward mighty mouse because he had cleared his division out much like poatan to izzy.
no, cariaso was the “someone they brought in,” with his modest 3-fight win streak over unranked fighters, and he never won another fight in the ufc after fighting for the title. perhaps they rushed cejudo because dj had beaten everyone with name recognition, but you can’t overlook the fact that cejudo had name recognition for being a gold medalist. in other words, he the ufc decided to give him special treatment because they saw him as a marketable prospect—a decision he ultimately vindicated.
Bizzare anomoly, And I dont defend it, it shouldn't happen.
you would be forgiven for defending it, since jon jones is, well… jon jones. he was another hyped prospect that panned out. there’s a reason he fought stephen bonnar in his 2nd fight—ufc was trying to put him over fast and and easy. all of that was justified from ufc’s perspective.
Well of course he did, Bader and Jones were both the clear cut next guys who were both undefeated.
the flip side of that is “but he was protected up until the title eliminator, he didn’t have to fight up through the ranks.” that is kinda true—they fed him the easiest fights with the most name recognition up until bader. but nobody would complain about that now because he justified the decision.
bo was on the main card of UFC 300 and headlined over several former champs, Ranked fighters, and fan favorites. You pointed out jones and Cejudo, But jones and Cejudo weren't on a block buster biggest card of the year. They didn't make the main card over Several former champions.
jones was on the ufc 100 prelims over fighters who were much more established and arguably more deserving. im sure if you could find other examples like this as well. ufc is a business that relies on big names and hype to promote fights. some fighters are gonna get pushed harder.
Im not saying he's not a top prospect, and im not saying they should throw him to the wolves, but he should face appropriate competition (which he has so far). Nothing against bo but he should not be on the main card of a card like UFC 300. over a guy like Diego Lopez or Jiri Prochazka. Henry and Jon were fighting people more credited then themselves in those opportunities, Bo was getting a showcase fight against a Tin can.
if it were up to me or you, maybe bo’s career would look very different. it’s not though. it appears to me that giving bo main card at ufc 300 was more about promoting him rather than rewarding him. it was an investment in a future contender. thus, the question whether he deserved it over jiri, et al, is kind of irrelevant.

i really don’t know what bo’s career will look like. he could be a total bust. i just don’t think the “special treatment” he gets is all that special based on ufc’s history of putting prospects on the main card.

I'm not sure what the question being asked is, but I want him, Khamzat and Alex Perreira to face fighters that can expose possible weaknesses. It's frustrating to not know how to evaluate them because they're not facing people who would answer my questions.

Back