Lever Shot! - Smashy's illustrated guide to levering

Very awesome post! This helps in all sorts of fight training- as has been said, from grappling, gripping strength, to punching power.

I've been doing it lately with a dumbell with weight on one side and love it, i'm going to buy a sledgehammer tomorrow and check it out. I also got my self i truck tire yesterday so the sledge will be great :D

cool post. just came across it. i love doing grip work. it's also a good go-to if you're just too exhausted for that day's regular work out.

I have been using this guide recently and have been noticing some discomfort while doing reverse levers and side to side levers. When I do the reverse lever it starts to create pain on the soft area between my thumb and index finger. any idea what I am doing wrong with that? Also I feel a discomforting feeling when I do the side to side levers in the bottum of my wrist, it's almost like a "dull" pop. Any help is appreciated.

Lug, how wide is the grip on your lever?

I had similar pain issues in the area between my thumb and index finger, but I fattening up the grip with some duct tape and webbing seemed to help.

With regards to the wrist pain during side levers, have you tried lowering the weight? The length of your lever (heh) will multiply the weight, generating pretty impressive forces in short order.

Lug, how wide is the grip on your lever?

I had similar pain issues in the area between my thumb and index finger, but I fattening up the grip with some duct tape and webbing seemed to help.

With regards to the wrist pain during side levers, have you tried lowering the weight? The length of your lever (heh) will multiply the weight, generating pretty impressive forces in short order.

Hmm it's not too wide, I might have to try that idea. It doesn't pop when I do "lower weight," but at the same time I don't know if I get the same kind of effect. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong, but maybe I am moving along too fast. Thanks for the reply!

Liver shot!

bas_rutten.jpg

I have been using this guide recently and have been noticing some discomfort while doing reverse levers and side to side levers. When I do the reverse lever it starts to create pain on the soft area between my thumb and index finger. any idea what I am doing wrong with that?

I have had the same thing happen which you are describing...I have found that by opening my hand wider on the handle, I prevent the pain from happening.

Also I feel a discomforting feeling when I do the side to side levers in the bottum of my wrist, it's almost like a "dull" pop. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know what to say on this one...are you warming up before you do these?

Thanks JB, I will try loosening my grip before I duck tape the handle. I am usually warmed up before I try the side to side levers, I will have to examine what I am doing more carefully.

The pain in the area near the thumb during levering exercises is normal. At least it is for me. I can do some pretty good weight with levers and the rear levers/levers to face hurt the thumb pad the most. I occasionally get some wrist-clicking and aches in my wrists for a few days after a good levering workout and I do warm up.

I mainly use sledgehammers for my levering and they do hurt the area between my thumb and fingers on occasion. I have used a 1" loadable bar and a 2" bar for levers and the 2" bar was considerably more comfortable.

Lug, how are you performing the side-to-side levers? I find that when I do them over my knee or standing with my forearm unsupported, it increases strain on my elbow. Now I do them with my forearm supported by a chair and I haven't experienced any negative effects like clicking, snapping, odd soreness or an irritated elbow.

I realize this is my first post, but I've been training levering for a few years now.

Thanks JB, I will try loosening my grip before I duck tape the handle. I am usually warmed up before I try the side to side levers, I will have to examine what I am doing more carefully.

lug, I should have described this better...I don't mean to loosen up your grip (grip the handle as hard as you can). when I grab the handle, I make sure to spread the palm of my hand on the handle (does this make sense?), then squeeze it tight and lever away.

lug, I should have described this better...I don't mean to loosen up your grip (grip the handle as hard as you can). when I grab the handle, I make sure to spread the palm of my hand on the handle (does this make sense?), then squeeze it tight and lever away.

You mean spread out my palm, place the hammer in my hand, and then close my hand?

You mean spread out my palm, place the hammer in my hand, and then close my hand?

sort of; if you are spreading your knuckles across the hammer and holding your thumb as if you were closing a gripper, and squeezing as hard as you possibly can, you are on the right track. this is not a sure to fix the problem that you are having, but I think you have a good chance of reducing/eliminating the discomfort you are having. for me personally, if I deviate too far from this holding style, I will feel discomfort in the meaty part of the palm between the thumb and index knuckle.

Why isnt this linked in the FAQ or am i just too dim to find it in there?

Why isnt this linked in the FAQ or am i just too dim to find it in there?

I haven't got around to updating the FAQ and it's a bigger job than you'd think because the old post exceeds the new max post length limit and has to be cut up and re-posted.

Nice bump. I had read this thread a long time ago before I did any levering, and now I'm starting to do levering and had a bunch of questions that this thread answered. I use a sleeve from an olympic bar and add weights at the end. I'm not sure if that was mentioned in this thread, but it works out great.

Back