"Lightweight Gilbert Burns" has more fights at 170 than 155 in the UFC

He got the worst of basically the entire fight against Belal and given his prospects for another title shot at WW he should try his luck at LW again.

He got the worst of basically the entire fight against Belal and given his prospects for another title shot at WW he should try his luck at LW again.
If he goes back down to LW, all the same people who called him a "lightweight" this week will call him a "weight bully" next week LOL.

So basically if you beat him at WW, you beat a "lightweight", if you lose to him at LW, it's only because he's a "weight bully". I don't have a solution, just pointing out how weird it is.

He's 36 and just lost, going down a weight class is a terrible idea at this point and going up isn't an option. He will stay at WW and start being used to pad up and coming fighters records with a marquee win.

I remember when LW Burns almost KTFO'd gigantic MW Chimaev

PopularCarelessJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

It's so crazy what WW Roberto Whittaker was able to do to the MW division before Izzy rose up the ranks. Hell, he's still outclassing dudes to this day despite being such a puny man.

And don't even get me started on the late WW Rumble Johnson.

Thats MMA's #1 move when things dont go their way tho.

Burns was taking catchweight fights on the regional scene like a decade ago and competed at 76kg mostly in BJJ. I just don't think 155lbs is all that possible and typically older fighters struggling to find success at LW move up to WW anyways like Burn, Chiesa, RDA, Cerrone, Diaz etc. 170 tends to he a much more shallow division. Burns is real old though, 36 is nearly a dinosaur down at LW.

It's so crazy what WW Roberto Whittaker was able to do to the MW division before Izzy rose up the ranks. Hell, he's still outclassing dudes to this day despite being such a puny man.

And don't even get me started on the late WW Rumble Johnson.

More crazy is what WW champion and WW unil his 30s Anderson Silva was able to do at MW and LHW

Burns reminds me of RDA. Good fighter, anyone anytime attitude and loved by everyone. Just not great enough.

If he goes back down to LW, all the same people who called him a "lightweight" this week will call him a "weight bully" next week LOL.

So basically if you beat him at WW, you beat a "lightweight", if you lose to him at LW, it's only because he's a "weight bully". I don't have a solution, just pointing out how weird it is.

People are sour. Just alternate between mocking them and ignoring them.

I feel that folks' short term memory is showing -- sure, he lost and didn't look all that impressive, but I don't feel he is all that far out from contention at 170. He fought a tough and under appreciated Belal Muhammad on 3 week's notice and made it to the final bell with a serious injury and landed some big shots that may have taken less durable fighters out (albeit against someone that isn't exactly a finisher). I think he needs some time off, but I can see him bouncing back and being a tough fight for anyone.

If you think his shoulder injury had nothing to do with that you might be related to the guy in your AV.
I'd love to answer you why i think this but you've already proven you're not equipped to handle any view that isn't yours to which i say good luck with that bro and i hope you have a better day than you're currently having.

He's 36 and just lost, going down a weight class is a terrible idea at this point and going up isn't an option. He will stay at WW and start being used to pad up and coming fighters records with a marquee win.
Burns struggled with the footwork of Belal.
The only other guy who moves as well as Belal at WW is Edwards (WB too but he got wrestled to hell). I'm a big Shavkat fan but it's a good style matchup for Burns to possibly bounce back to the door of a title shot and if Colby does beat Edwards I think Burns is Colby's worst style match up at WW so while I'd give him zero chance at beating Edwards or Belal he still has championship hopes.
Burns' isn't the next guy in line anymore but he's not completely out of the picture and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, I think he's still good enough to not be a stepping stone.

Back