List of black belts that were trained by Carlson Gracie .... whoa!

MMA yes, pure BJJ I don't know that that's true. Alliance and Gracie Barra are both from the Carlos/Helio side, and they've probably won more world titles than any other groups. Atos is an Alliance split off (mostly).

Though I agree that people who think Carlson's students aren't technical are totally wrong. Just because you prefer wicked TDs and crushing top game to sporty guard play doesn't make you less technical, it's just a stylistic choice.

He mentioned Carlos Jr., not Sr. in which case would hold true. Alliance and GB I don't think have any lineage from Helio although the founders may have trained with that side of the family

As for Atos, Ramon Lemos is straight up a Nova Uniao BB from Pederneiras, in turn from Carlson Sr. Although Galvao is the other leader of Atos, Ramon is the one who originated the team then Galvao jumped on later

From what I was told by a dude who is people who knows people, Senior thought Vitor threw the Sakuraba fight and that was the end of them. And Bonnar moved to Las Vegas when he was a purple belt. Don't know who he got his brown from but got his black from Sergio Penha. The second generation list is missing some names: Miguel Torres, Clark Gracie, Tim Creuder, Cyborg Abreu, Pablo Popovitch, Rhadi Ferguson, Jeff Monson, Rousimar Palhares, Jose Aldo, Ramon Lemos, Din Thomas, Stephen Kesting,etc...

Pretty amazing list for a team/coach that was often labeled as being less technical than their adversaries.

True. Wallid choked out Royce and Sperry choked out Royler with the same choke.

Yes, I know, bumping up an old thread but this should've been stickied. Anyone know which one of Carlson's students gave Carlos Barreto his black belt? I was always under the impression he got it directly from Carlson. I guess not.
He's a Sergio Bolao black belt who is in turn actually a Elcio Figuerido black belt. Carlson may have actually promoted him but his instructor was Elcio Figuerido. I know, old thread. Sorry/Not Sorry I actually prefer using search function and learning stuff. I know. Weird

Back