Little kid lifting heavy

P

Pugilistic

What do you guys think about this? I always grew up being told lifting too young isn't good for kids and their growth. I'm surprised a 5 year old even has the attention span to be taught how to deadlift in the first place. I've met grown women who complain that the 20kg bar is too heavy for them but this little girl is lifting it up like nothing. Feel like this is good for the kid's coordination since most kids I teach are a bit older than her but dropping and tripping over shit constantly. I'm a bit impressed honestly.

Don't most serious power lifters advise against young kids getting into any type of lifting?

I call for Olympic level blood testing

Don't most serious power lifters advise against young kids getting into any type of lifting?
Yeah I heard it can mess up their bone development or something.

Prolly where all these manlets are coming from...

Don't all the Chinese weightlifters start when they are really young too?

Don't all the Chinese weightlifters start when they are really young too?

Why do you think they are all manlets?

And it's okay and not racist for me to say this because I'm Chinese too.

What do you guys think about this? I always grew up being told lifting too young isn't good for kids and their growth. I'm surprised a 5 year old even has the attention span to be taught how to deadlift in the first place. I've met grown women who complain that the 20kg bar is too heavy for them but this little girl is lifting it up like nothing. Feel like this is good for the kid's coordination since most kids I teach are a bit older than her but dropping and tripping over shit constantly. I'm a bit impressed honestly.

I mean they get into it I. The. Ide, it sounds like they are being really smart about the way they train with her. I've seen some that are obviously parent motivated on YouTube though that leave with that bitter taste of "you might ruin their life"

I mean they get into it I. The. Ide, it sounds like they are being really smart about the way they train with her. I've seen some that are obviously parent motivated on YouTube though that leave with that bitter taste of "you might ruin their life"
Trying my best. But for the life of me I can't decipher your predictive text fuck up...

Weights only mess up your bone development if you damage the growth plate, but that can happen in any sport. Weights are safe for kids. Gymnastics seems to stunt growth though due to all the impact, getting into training earlier than other sports, and hormonal imbalances caused by the training during puberty.

. Gymnastics seems to stunt growth though due to all the impact, getting into training earlier than other sports, and hormonal imbalances caused by the training during puberty.

Where are you getting that from?

I'm not sure where you heard that. It's pretty well established that the "stunt your growth" aspect is a myth. The risk is with growth plate damage which is far greater of a risk in other sports or general play. I don't think you'll see many lifters push their kids into getting into lifting though, but I don't think you'll also see them advise against it if they show interest. Keep in mind other countries start their kids extremely young in oly lifting.

I lift in my garage and there are constantly kids at my house. The only two lifts that they show any interest in learning is deadlift and overhead press. Honestly, deadlift is not too hard to teach the young ones because they are typically pulling from an advantageous position if using bumper plates. If the bar was at shin level, it would be much tougher. Overhead press is pretty simple too. Most wouldn't have the attention span to learn squats or bench. FWIW - I'm talking about kids around ages 4-10.

The lady in the video... dat butt.

The woman narrating pretty much explains it pretty well. The biggest issue with kids more so than adults is proper form and not being an asshat trying to do too much.

Little girl is impressive, rope climbing, gymnastics and lifting at five. I'd be more concerned about the gymnastics impacting her growth development than the lifting, depending on if it's a recreational gymnastics program or some hard core Romanian beat you into the ground gymnastics.

I think bodyweight excercises and playing something like football is good until 10-11, then get them to a BJJ or boxing. Instil good training habits but dont force it, make it a reward or something so they could internalise for the rest of their lives.

Back