little things about your childhood that shaped you today

hahahayeah

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
when recently doing some digging in my own psyche about my childhood (the good kind of digging, not the... horribly traumatic side of it) I realized and made a connection about part of my taste in music. growing up in the very early 90s, I used to love watching the OG weather channel and our local weather radar. not only were the primitive computer graphics fun for my genius toddler brain to take in, but these channels always played smooth jazz and, "watercolors." music composed of very jazzy and laid back guitar arrangements. my father was also a jazz fusion guitar player. I was getting blasted with jazz guitar nonstop!

to this day, I absolutely love guitar based smooth jazz, and I realized that I basically have my entire life, and it's because of my love for the weather channel when I was 2 - 3 years old. PLEASE, don't confuse this with elevator music, or muzak, because IT'S NOT, OKAY!?

the opening track in this set is a banger!

what are some things that shaped you as an adult from your very early childhood?

...fun things. not... well... you know...

giphy.gif

All of those 70s and 80s era band continuing to do tours throughout the 90s and 2000s (instead of just retiring) shaped my love for music. Got to see over 80 concerts and as a teenager and adult it caused me to take up home audio and car audio along with learning guitar.

Having my childhood during the boom of computers and internet also shaped my current love of technology and PC hardware. Have spend thousands of hours posting on PC hardware forums and building/benchmarking PC components.

My parents transferred me to a more affluent elementary school growing up that I wasn't zoned for and the new elementary school was built around a 1960s era country club neighborhood with lots of creeks and hills. Riding my bike throughout that neighborhood with friends and fishing in the creeks shaped my future love for nature and landscaping.

- Growing up watching Tarzan, Spielban and Jacques Custeau made me love and respect nature. Will always have good memories of this part of my childrenhood.

I secretly like early 90s techno and house stuff because of Streets of Rage 2s soundtrack, it's probably the singlehandedly reason I like synthy Dancy shit.

I think the people that surrounded me most of the time like my close friends and family shaped me to who I am today.

Jack Palance cult leader episode of Buck Rogers scared the shit out of me and made me not join a cult.

Famine Mindset

Pine-Sol, and my grandmother always attributing cleaning with it to good health. Now, even the smell of it makes me feel physically better.
My mom and grandma both loved Pine-sol. I still associate that smell with coming home from school to a clean house. I swear 90's Pine-Sol hit different though

Did a lot of acid between the ages of 16 and 18. Acid in the 90s was great.

As a kid we had a wood burning fireplace. One day I'm carrying in an arm full of wood for the fire when the top piece shifted, revealing an enormous spider about four inches from my face.

Hello, arachnophobia.

when recently doing some digging in my own psyche about my childhood (the good kind of digging, not the... horribly traumatic side of it) I realized and made a connection about part of my taste in music. growing up in the very early 90s, I used to love watching the OG weather channel and our local weather radar. not only were the primitive computer graphics fun for my genius toddler brain to take in, but these channels always played smooth jazz and, "watercolors." music composed of very jazzy and laid back guitar arrangements. my father was also a jazz fusion guitar player. I was getting blasted with jazz guitar nonstop!

to this day, I absolutely love guitar based smooth jazz, and I realized that I basically have my entire life, and it's because of my love for the weather channel when I was 2 - 3 years old. PLEASE, don't confuse this with elevator music, or muzak, because IT'S NOT, OKAY!?

what are some things that shaped you as an adult from your very early childhood?

Kinda like you but little different music. From as far back as I can recall Sunday over easy was a thing where it was acoustic music and song writers during the morning and early afternoon. While my tastes are a bit different than my mom's it left me with a love of acoustic jams and a tradition that I listen to them on Sunday morning.... as well as I wish that she was still alive so we could share the tradition and the Sunday mix would be a mix of mine and hers.

Damn, bruh. This Norman Brown guy is DOPE on the guitar. Thanks for posting this vid. New discovery for me.

Kinda like you but little different music. From as far back as I can recall Sunday over easy was a thing where it was acoustic music and song writers during the morning and early afternoon. While my tastes are a bit different than my mom's it left me with a love of acoustic jams and a tradition that I listen to them on Sunday morning.... as well as I wish that she was still alive so we could share the tradition and the Sunday mix would be a mix of mine and hers.

this post is very touching. thanks for sharing man. I get a huge part of my taste in music from my mom too. she raised me listening to oldies, soul, mo-town, and disco (although disco isn't really my thing.) my mom is still with us, although she has told me that at her funeral she wants me to play, "Love Shack," by the B52s <Lmaoo>

music is a very powerful thing when it comes to memories and moments connected to them. in a similar vain as my original post, "What's Going On," by Marvin Gaye would play over the weather report on WGN early in the morning during Pokemon. I would watch the cartoon in the morning before school, and to this day, "What's Going On," is my favorite song of all time. it takes me back to some very fond memories I have... and hey man, my family is from Kalamazoo. Michigan bless!

Damn, bruh. This Norman Brown guy is DOPE on the guitar. Thanks for posting this vid. New discovery for me.

stoked you're digging Norman Brown. I looked into seeing him at a Jazz Festival in Daytona Beach next year, but the ticket packages include a suite at a resort and they run about $3000! I badly want to see him live, but not $3000 bad haha.

this song and the album this song is on is phenomenal. PM me if you ever want to exchange tunes! and hey, while I'm at it... sweat this...

straight up face melter :eek:

cheers!

Back