little things about your childhood that shaped you today

this post is very touching. thanks for sharing man. I get a huge part of my taste in music from my mom too. she raised me listening to oldies, soul, mo-town, and disco (although disco isn't really my thing.) my mom is still with us, although she has told me that at her funeral she wants me to play, "Love Shack," by the B52s <Lmaoo>

music is a very powerful thing when it comes to memories and moments connected to them. in a similar vain as my original post, "What's Going On," by Marvin Gaye would play over the weather report on WGN early in the morning during Pokemon. I would watch the cartoon in the morning before school, and to this day, "What's Going On," is my favorite song of all time. it takes me back to some very fond memories I have... and hey man, my family is from Kalamazoo. Michigan bless!

stoked you're digging Norman Brown. I looked into seeing him at a Jazz Festival in Daytona Beach next year, but the ticket packages include a suite at a resort and they run about $3000! I badly want to see him live, but not $3000 bad haha.

this song and the album this song is on is phenomenal. PM me if you ever want to exchange tunes! and hey, while I'm at it... sweat this...

straight up face melter :eek:

cheers!

It would seem we have a lot in common. My mom raised me with duwop and classic Rock and folk music. Later on I got into punk rock and ska and made her listen to that with me and she even tagged along to a lot of shows as our guest of honor. ...some of it she liked like bad religion some of it she hated like nofx. Me and my mom were always listening to music together and discussing and debating it like record hipsters. And it was a huge thing we shared.

I could write a novel about it but i can trace my musical journey step by step and it's very clear how big of a roll my mom played.

Another fave car music game and modern displays have all but ruined it is that we would constantly play guess the band ...whatever was playing she'd be like you don't know what this is ......and I do this to whoever is around to this day ...and I'll be disappointed in a person if they don't get it or want to play. What's this song about was another fun game and I think I learned so much about the world just by her asking and discussing that stuff with me.

Music was a huge part of my house. Classic Rock, hippie shit, duwop , metal , ska ,punk , folk all types of indie stuff and a little bit of everything really. My mom would play me thriller and the guess who and deep purple and the clash and would show me the album art and just always asked me what I thought and I loved it and her for it.

Damn, bruh. This Norman Brown guy is DOPE on the guitar. Thanks for posting this vid. New discovery for me.
It would seem we have a lot in common. My mom raised me with duwop and classic Rock and folk music. Later on I got into punk rock and ska and made her listen to that with me and she even tagged along to a lot of shows as our guest of honor. ...some of it she liked like bad religion some of it she hated like nofx. Me and my mom were always listening to music together and discussing and debating it like record hipsters. And it was a huge thing we shared.

I could write a novel about it but i can trace my musical journey step by step and it's very clear how big of a roll my mom played.

Another fave car music game and modern displays have all but ruined it is that we would constantly play guess the band ...whatever was playing she'd be like you don't know what this is ......and I do this to whoever is around to this day ...and I'll be disappointed in a person if they don't get it or want to play. What's this song about was another fun game and I think I learned so much about the world just by her asking and discussing that stuff with me.

Music was a huge part of my house. Classic Rock, hippie shit, duwop , metal , ska ,punk , folk all types of indie stuff and a little bit of everything really. My mom would play me thriller and the guess who and deep purple and the clash and would show me the album art and just always asked me what I thought and I loved it and her for it.

HA! yes, it would absolutely seem that way. I went through every one of those musical phases too, although NoFx never really stuck with me. I will go back occasionally and listen to Suicidal Tendencies. lately it's been a lot of HUM and King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard.

dude, to this day whenever I'm hanging out at my mom's house and I have the bluetooth speaker going I'll hit her with a, "I got one for you," or I'll hit her with a song and go, "know who this is?" 9 times out of 10 she gets it. lately, she's been playing, "Ode To Billie Joe - Tallahatchie Bridge," by Bobbie Gentry. I usually respond with, "Alone Again Naturally." as I've gotten older I've even turned her on to some great tunes too. if you need something new to listen to tonight or in the next few days, LISTEN TO WHITE DENIM! this is the show I play for people to introduce them. their studio albums span almost all the genres you've mentioned, but they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I was fortunate enough to meet them and stay in contact with the singer/ band lead. they're all great guys. he even gave me some really kind words and advice when he found out I was having a child a few years ago. in fact, my username is the title of one of their songs!

that's if you just need a little taste for now ^ that video is WILD!

straight up knock your dick in the dirt american rock and roll. start with Corsicana Lemonade, D, or Performance. if you know good music, and it seems you do, it's hard not to like them.

my direct messages are always open if you wanna chat or share music, and I love sharing music with others. I am sorry that you lost your mom, but you are keeping her memory strong by sharing these memories. I lost my father when I was 16, but by that time my parents had been divorced for several years and I had not seen him in sometime... your relationship with her sounds so similar to mine and my mom's, and that type of Love is eternal.

Not having my father in my life taught me a lot about how to be a good man. Go figure. Whatever he did in life, I just make sure to do the opposite.

I've posted about my dad being the biggest Steven Seagal mark when I was growing up, if you used to watch wrestling there used to be a Hulk Hogan look-a-like superfan they would always show in the crowd my dad was like the Steven Segal version of that dude when I was a kid. We went to every Seagall movie on opening weekend from Marked For Death up until Executive Decision, possibly a couple after that but I can't remember those movies they all run together to me. I do love Marked For Death and Out For Justice a lot, I went to see Marked For Death as a 5 year old in theaters and Out For Justice at 7.

I really love reggae music as a 38 year old, I've only lived in Texas my whole life and people find it so fucking weird that I like Bob Marley and Sublime and Peter Tosh, plus the newer bands Stick Figure and Tribal Seeds are the shit I listen to more than anything.

After rewatching Marked For Death just a couple weeks ago it finally it me, I can confidently trace my love of reggae music to that experience as a five year old in the movie theater with those vibes being blasted into my ears at max surround sound volume. Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff is all over the film, it has Steppin' Razor by Peter Tosh and this song hits pretty fucking hard still:

Star Trek TNG - It really shaped the way I approach morality. I’m no Jean Luc Picard. But I like to think I at least attempt to do the right thing when given the choice between benefitting myself by doing the wrong thing, or sacrificing something to do the right thing.

It amazes me how many people think that whatever is most beneficial for them is the moral decision.

when I was about five years old I saw on tv (security camera, undeground cave, night time) terrorist stabbing someone with a huge knife and killed him and ran away, and afterwards a special force cop on a motorcycle executed him with a shot to his head

this made me realize that the world is a very cruel place

@Gutter Chris

I have daughters. I go out of my way to show them how a good man treats his wife. Just can't have no dusty bro come in thinking this shit is easy for him.

Gonna be a son for me. Gonna have to teach him how to impress dads like you so he'll be allowed to take out their daughters. Both me and his mom are midwest as can be so he's likely going to be alright.

I'm pretty excited really he's almost here. We're gonna have a lot of fun. I don't have any crazy plans about trying to turn him into the person I think he should be I just wanna be there to show him the world. My 2 big wishes are that he's born healthy and that he will want to go shooting with me when he's old enough to do that.

I'd say a lot of little things here and there affected me profoundly. Can't say specifically which one it is, but I try to be a sponge when I was a kid and still do. Just be open minded to all kinds of things.

My mom and grandma both loved Pine-sol. I still associate that smell with coming home from school to a clean house. I swear 90's Pine-Sol hit different though
Probably. The stuff even cured my teenage hangovers. Would go and mop a floor or two when I got one, and it would actually work... Maybe it was all in the mind, but it worked all the same.

How to get down with the ladies

200w.gif

I thought this was gonna be more irl experiences. I got threatened with a knife once when I was like 9. Made me realize the world was a dangerous place.

Back