Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: October 24, 2017

LOGAN Director James Mangold Working on Script for Potential X-23 Spinoff

BOHvuo5.png

Hugh Jackman has said goodbye to Wolverine, but the story isn't quite over.

Seven months after the film hit theaters, Jackman and director James Mangold are still processing the level of praise lavished on the film, which exceeded their expectations from when they set out to tell story to end all Wolverine stories. Logan was made for less money than the previous two Wolverine films, but Jackman's R-rated swan song became the most financially successful of the three by far with $616 million worldwide (Mangold's The Wolverine made just over $414 in 2013) and it remains one of the best reviewed movies of 2017.

The film is continuing to defy expectations. While Logan is the rare superhero project that doesn't exist to help set up a shared universe or sequels, a spinoff is brewing ("We're just working on a script," Mangold says of a film that would center on Dafne Keen's Laura). And it has emerged as a possible awards contender.

As Mangold looks to the future and a possible Laura movie, he touches on the success of Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman this summer and what that means for female-fronted films.

"Patty's success with that film only solidifies more for studios that there's less to fear with a female protagonist," says Mangold. "The more that keeps getting hit home, that ends up giving me more space turning around and going, 'Well here we are with a female protagonist. That's incredible. And what are we going to do with her?' And that's where we are with that [the Laura script] right now, dreaming."

Craig Kyle, who created Laura in 2003 for the animated series X-Men: Evolution, is working with Mangold on the treatment. Kyle also is one of the screenwriters behind next month's Thor: Ragnarok.

As Fox gears up to release three X-Men films next year, the studio has signaled interested in exploring the Marvel mutants through different film genres. April's New Mutants is being positioned as a horror film, for example, and a Laura spinoff could potentially branch out from the western-noir tinged Logan.

One person who won't be involved in a spinoff is Jackman, who not only has hung up the claws, but also rules out staying on as a producer. (He previously produced 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

"No, I won’t be a producer on a Laura sequel," says Jackman. "But I will be lining up on the Thursday night at 10 pm to watch it though. She is just phenomenal."

'Logan' Team on Dreaming Up a 'Laura' Spinoff and Finding the Drama in Wolverine's Goodbye

Want to keep an open mind but can't see this working out well.

Character in a spin-off? Sure.
Stand alone film? I'm not so sure about that.

Logan was amazing but its not the same without wolverine

Especially with the girl, she did a good job but she was mostly just a silent catalyst for wolverines progression, rather than a character that we wanted to see another movie of

I'll watch it but my expectations are low

This would be a movie that no matter how good it is, youll always prefer wolvie in it.

Logan was amazing but its not the same without wolverine

Especially with the girl, she did a good job but she was mostly just a silent catalyst for wolverines progression, rather than a character that we wanted to see another movie of

I'll watch it but my expectations are low
My thoughts too... & professor Xavier added a lot to it as well. will catch it on DVD I reckon.

could be interesting if done right.

The kid has amazing talent for such a young actress, but I can't see X-23 carrying a whole film on her own.

I hesitate to recommend the 'sequel' be based off the comics, but I hope it draws inspiration from the 'Target X' arc in which Laura is trying to become normal with a mother/daughter that is loosely related to her.

targetx4.jpg

It's a 10/10 arc, and I highly recommend it.

I hesitate to recommend the 'sequel' be based off the comics, but I hope it draws inspiration from the 'Target X' arc in which Laura is trying to become normal with a mother/daughter that is loosely related to her.

targetx4.jpg

It's a 10/10 arc, and I highly recommend it.
It would have to be something like this, where she has people to play off off and protect instead of just an endless stream of baddies to shred through.

I really dislike the main people in charge for not giving us this level of wolverine the first two times.

At least we got it, but still.

Logan was an absolute shit wolverine film and I will continually not support fox xmen movies.

I fully support 18 year old X-23 getting her own R-rated movie.

214cf9038977820252883e732fd70a78.jpg

41e520d78288d892dd898e038a18a676--sexy-halloween-costume-ideas-awesome-costumes.jpg

4784da5de84b849b3dc475bccf3d5ec7--xmen-marvel.jpg

Last edited:
That young actress Dafne Keen was it? She was good but she can't carry an entire film. I just don't see this working. If this is starring her in it I don't want to see it unless she is older by like a lot. Or if they hire an a-lister to replace her as an older version.

Update: October 24, 2017

LOGAN Director James Mangold Working on Script for Potential X-23 Spinoff

BOHvuo5.png

Hugh Jackman has said goodbye to Wolverine, but the story isn't quite over.

Seven months after the film hit theaters, Jackman and director James Mangold are still processing the level of praise lavished on the film, which exceeded their expectations from when they set out to tell story to end all Wolverine stories. Logan was made for less money than the previous two Wolverine films, but Jackman's R-rated swan song became the most financially successful of the three by far with $616 million worldwide (Mangold's The Wolverine made just over $414 in 2013) and it remains one of the best reviewed movies of 2017.

The film is continuing to defy expectations. While Logan is the rare superhero project that doesn't exist to help set up a shared universe or sequels, a spinoff is brewing ("We're just working on a script," Mangold says of a film that would center on Dafne Keen's Laura). And it has emerged as a possible awards contender.

As Mangold looks to the future and a possible Laura movie, he touches on the success of Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman this summer and what that means for female-fronted films.

"Patty's success with that film only solidifies more for studios that there's less to fear with a female protagonist," says Mangold. "The more that keeps getting hit home, that ends up giving me more space turning around and going, 'Well here we are with a female protagonist. That's incredible. And what are we going to do with her?' And that's where we are with that [the Laura script] right now, dreaming."

As Fox gears up to release three X-Men films next year, the studio has signaled interested in exploring the Marvel mutants through different film genres. April's New Mutants is being positioned as a horror film, for example, and a Laura spinoff could potentially branch out from the western-noir tinged Logan.

One person who won't be involved in a spinoff is Jackman, who not only has hung up the claws, but also rules out staying on as a producer. (He previously produced 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

"No, I won’t be a producer on a Laura sequel," says Jackman. "But I will be lining up on the Thursday night at 10 pm to watch it though. She is just phenomenal."

'Logan' Team on Dreaming Up a 'Laura' Spinoff and Finding the Drama in Wolverine's Goodbye

Oh for fu*ks sake, let it die.

Hugh Jackman said goodbye, this is it. No sequels, prequels, cameos, and whatnot. Leave it dead for 3 years, then reboot with another actor. And it's good news that majority of people here (in 1st page alone) think the actress nor the character are fit to lead the movie.

And please, for the love of everything that's holy, no sexualized X-23.

If they do a X-23 movie they should recast an older actress. Dafne Keen was really good in the role but it's time to make the character olde. But it would be better to do a movie where she's a part of some sort of team and doesn't have to carry the whole movie by herself.

If they do a X-23 movie they should recast an older actress. Dafne Keen was really good in the role but it's time to make the character olde. But it would be better to do a movie where she's a part of some sort of team and doesn't have to carry the whole movie by herself.

If they do, (my bet is that) it's gonna be a SJW or PC fitting type. You know how it is recently: black, latino or asian to appeal to certain groups, mid teens, revealing outfit, with a slight love interest in the movie (maybe even a female).

Back