Logan Storley dispatches Brennan Ward in front of hometown crowd at #Bellator298

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

BELLATOR MMA NEWS & FEATURES
Logan Storley Dispatches Brennan Ward in Front of Hometown Crowd at Bellator 298
FacebookTwitterReddit0WhatsApp

J.L. KIRVEN AUG 11, 2023 COMMENTS

Logan Storley unleashed a hurricane of punishment on Brennan Ward in the Bellator 298 main event at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Fall, South Dakota.

Storley, a South Dakota native, electrified the crowd after taking Ward to the ground and dominating him with repeated punches and elbow strikes before referee Jason Herzog was forced to call it 4:05 into the second round.

Fresh off his defeat in the rematch with champion Yaroslav Amosav, Storley wasted little time on Friday. Ward came in riding high off a 3-fight knockout streak but wasn’t given a chance to unload.

Moldavsky Crusies in Lackluster Rematch
In an attempt to settle the score after their first meeting ended in a no contest, heavyweights Valentin Moldavsky and Steve Mowry settled their business.

Moldavsky would leave the cage with bragging rights after outwrestling Mowry over 15 minutes en route to a clear, but underwhelming unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27,30-27).

Mowry spent most of the fight on his back while the crowd voiced their displeasure. Neither man separated themselves from the rest of the division. Mowry (10-1-1) took his first loss and Moldavsky picked up his first victory since 2021.

Related » Bellator 298 Round-by-Round Scoring

Jeffrey Outhustles Rosta
Middleweight contender Aaron Jeffery admitted that he “sh*t the bed” in his decision loss to John Salter last March. Looking to bounce back, Jeffery put on an unbelievable pace to upset undefeated prospect Dalton Rosta (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).

Jeffery’s pace and top control gave him an edge in all three rounds despite not putting Rosta (8-1) in any serious trouble. Unfortunately for Rosta, there wasn’t much he could do with Jeffery forcing him to defensively grapple.

Polarizing Gallagher Slips By Gonzalez
It was a long two years away from the cage for James Gallagher.

James Gonzalez nearly ruined Gallagher’s return in a back-and-forth scrap that ultimately went in Gallagher’s favor (29-28, 28-29, 28-29). Gonzalez immediately cracked Gallagher (12-2) with a spinning elbow to start the fight and landed punches from the ground all night.

Gallagher’s best work came by way of his grappling. He kept Gonzalez pinned for most of the first two rounds but was dominated in Round 3. The result was up in the air after the final bell but Gallagher’s grappling over the first two rounds would ultimately be prioritized over Gonzalez’s punches.

Outlaw Runs Wrestling Clinic on Mamedov
It’s been over two years since Sidney Outlaw found a win in the cage but victory, nor Islam Mamedov, could escape him on Friday.

Outlaw clung to Mamedov and ragdolled him on the ground for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision win (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

It was an impressive performance for Outlaw, who hasn’t been in the cage since July 2022. Outlaw was supposed to compete in the lightweight world Grand Prix but received a six-month suspension after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

Continue Reading

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/L...ront-of-Hometown-Crowd-at-Bellator-298-190730

Pretty lackluster event... Sad, with a stacked roster and all of them just sitting around.

Pretty lackluster event... Sad, with a stacked roster and all of them just sitting around.
Cut Mamedov, book Moldavsky against Popov or other fellow wrestlefuckers and put it on the prelims, just book Gallagher against some top FW or cans, just so we can get it over with

No more wrestlefuckers, also do bonuses

Last edited:
Terrible main card. Every fight was just let’s see who can lay on their opponent the longest. The Rosta fight was the absolute worst. He needs to lose his spot in the rankings.

Main event was a major disappointment. Was expecting a good fight but Ward got taken down and controlled. Storley for sure had to take Ward down to win the fight, and that’s exactly what he did. Ward gassed but took almost zero damage with those light hammer fists Storley was hitting him with. Nothing exciting there.

The Gallagher fight was a dud too. No wonder Bellators viewership is tanking.

Terrible main card. Every fight was just let’s see who can lay on their opponent the longest. The Rosta fight was the absolute worst. He needs to lose his spot in the rankings.

Main event was a major disappointment. Was expecting a good fight but Ward got taken down and controlled. Storley for sure had to take Ward down to win the fight, and that’s exactly what he did. Ward gassed but took almost zero damage with those light hammer fists Storley was hitting him with. Nothing exciting there.

The Gallagher fight was a dud too. No wonder Bellators viewership is tanking.
Someone said this in another thread too.. Bellator makes fights that are good on paper but end up being duds. I have watched nearly 95% of Bellator events and its been years since a Bellator event has been good and impactful. It just seems like constant disappointment from the fighters. What can change that?

Someone said this in another thread too.. Bellator makes fights that are good on paper but end up being duds. I have watched nearly 95% of Bellator events and its been years since a Bellator event has been good and impactful. It just seems like constant disappointment from the fighters. What can change that?
Worst fight card I’ve seen in years. It’s crazy how all the fights can line up on paper and the guys go in there and shit the bed. I think it’s the management. Coker is so nice the guys don’t even feel the need to perform. That’s one thing UFC does is create an environment of urgency. Fighters know they have to perform or they will be cut or publicly berated by Dana.

Worst fight card I’ve seen in years. It’s crazy how all the fights can line up on paper and the guys go in there and shit the bed. I think it’s the management. Coker is so nice the guys don’t even feel the need to perform. That’s one thing UFC does is create an environment of urgency. Fighters know they have to perform or they will be cut or publicly berated by Dana.
I actually think that's it. Bellator gives guys so many opportunities. The fighters treat it like a job where you need to clock in and clock out while UFC fighters (generally) treat it as a performance of a lifetime.

I actually think that's it. Bellator gives guys so many opportunities. The fighters treat it like a job where you need to clock in and clock out while UFC fighters (generally) treat it as a performance of a lifetime.
Another thing is some of the bellator fighters are getting paid full amount win or lose. It's great for fighters but they can play it safe when you don't need to rely on win bonus or performance bonus

Yup. UFC pretty much puts all the pressure on the guys. Bigger stage, more at stake. That’s Coker’s double edged sword. He’s so nice fighters want to fight for him. But maybe it’s because there’s no pressure?

Bonus are the easiest change they can do right now, like just do two 50K bonuses.

Also prioritize fun fighters, not the best. ONE mma is under no impression that they have the best fighters, most of their guys would lose to LFA guys, but they are just action fighters

Yup. UFC pretty much puts all the pressure on the guys. Bigger stage, more at stake. That’s Coker’s double edged sword. He’s so nice fighters want to fight for him. But maybe it’s because there’s no pressure?
The UFC is super competitive for spots on the roster and they have more resources for scouting talent. Such urgency to keep one's spot doesn't seem to exist in Bellator. Michael Chandler is a perfect example. He seemed to be phoning it in during post-fight interviews after a Bellator event. Compare that to his last fight with Tony Ferguson and his activity on social media since signing with the UFC. I could hardly believe it was the same person.

Do you think a guy like Colby Covington would have eventually embraced his MAGA schtick if he had Scott Coker as a boss? Absolutely not. That was a result of pressure from being cut by Dana due to having no personality and a boring fighting style. I give James Gallagher props for at least trying to stand out in a place like Bellator.

The UFC is super competitive for spots on the roster and they have more resources for scouting talent. Such urgency to keep one's spot doesn't seem to exist in Bellator. Michael Chandler is a perfect example. He seemed to be phoning it in during post-fight interviews after a Bellator event. Compare that to his last fight with Tony Ferguson and his activity on social media since signing with the UFC. I could hardly believe it was the same person.

Do you think a guy like Colby Covington would have eventually embraced his MAGA schtick if he had Scott Coker as a boss? Absolutely not. That was a result of pressure from being cut by Dana due to having no personality and a boring fighting style. I give James Gallagher props for at least trying to stand out in a place like Bellator.
Same with Sabatello. Horrendously boring fighter but I respect the shtick

Nemkov. The guy that will save the UFC 205 Division...

Fool got dispatched.

Its called MMA and wrestling is part of MMA. UFC main event Cory Sandhagen vs Rob Font was not any better. Offering fighters 50K bonus won't work at the top level of the sport when its for top contender or championship fight. A fighter that can dominate using wrestling will not stand and bang to win.

The only way to change this is by using Pride FC yellow card for stalling cause nobody wants to lose money. If the fighter in dominant position is not trying to advance position, trying to sub or throwing punches that fighter should be yellow carded. If fighter in bottom position is not attempting to get up or just tries to tie up and hold fighter on top that fighter should be yellow carded. This worked in Pride FC it would work in every MMA Org.

Its called MMA and wrestling is part of MMA. UFC main event Cory Sandhagen vs Rob Font was not any better. Offering fighters 50K bonus won't work at the top level of the sport when its for top contender or championship fight. A fighter that can dominate using wrestling will not stand and bang to win.

The only way to change this is by using Pride FC yellow card for stalling cause nobody wants to lose money. If the fighter in dominant position is not trying to advance position, trying to sub or throwing punches that fighter should be yellow carded. If fighter in bottom position is not attempting to get up or just tries to tie up and hold fighter on top that fighter should be yellow carded. This worked in Pride FC it would work in every MMA Org.
Agree 100% yellow card system will solve most of the problems.

Is this system allowed under the unified rules tho?

Back