Long time weightlifter, first time Kickboxer

KSRWJ

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a 21 year old male, been weight lifting for the past 6 years and have become fairly accomplished at that. I'm not the largest framed person; I'm 5'9, 191lbs, around 12% body fat.

I've always been aware that weightlifting/bodybuilding does little for cardiovascular endurance and conditioning, but I didn't realise how out of shape I was, and still am, until after my first time at an open Kickboxing class.

So last night was my first time entering a martial arts class - or any group class for that matter - so I was fairly apprehensive. The first worrying sign was the fact I was out of breath just walking to the place!

There was no introduction, straight in - "everyone grab a rope.." for 1 minute of steady skipping. Luckily I've dabble at home with a bit of skipping so I could maintain a steady, albeit slower compared to everyone else, pace for the minute. Followed by shadow boxing for a minute, followed by 1,2,1,2 for a full minute at max pace, then 30 seconds of max pace situps, then 30 seconds pressups. This was repeated 3 times with 30 seconds in between. I was fu**** by this point!

Looking up from my keeled-over-what-am-I-even-doing-here position, I look up and everyone is busy chatting away, a slight shine on their heads but not even out of breathe that much.

After this, and about a full minutes rest after the final circuit, I am paired up with another new (a few months in) guy, and we are instructed to practice a movement drill where the pad holder walks back at a constant pace to one end of the room, while the puncher practices moving forward and striking whilst maintaining proper foot position and seemless movement. This was far from seemless for me; I hadn't even been shown the fundamentals, such as stance or how to strike. I figure this is my first time, the more I show up and show my worth the more they will dedicate themselves to teaching me these fundamentals.

After this was a similar drill, though this time the pad holder pivoted on his still lead leg, rotating clockwise and anticlockwise, whilst the puncher strikes the pads, again trying to remain in position - never crossing feet over for example.

My shoulders at this point are burning beyond belief. 6/8 rep shoulder press, lateral raises and heavy bench don't do anything to prepare you for this, and if anything, it only seemed to cause them to burn out much faster.

The last drill we practiced was front kick, with the instructor emphasising that the point of this particular exercise is to ensure we have the proper foot and toe position when striking - foot pointed down, toes curled up. We repeated this for 3 minutes each turn, switching between lead and back leg.

Strangely, I found the pad holding one of the most awkward parts. I felt a nuisance for my partner when I kept messing up the pad positions for the combos we were instructed to drill. I'm guessing this will get easier over time. A way overlooked skill, in my opinion, is being a decent pad holder.

So, a "warm-up" that could have served as a full workout for me, a LOT of pad work, and not much instruction on technique sums up my first class.

Does this sound normal to you guys? My main goal and ambition remains bodybuilding (natural and lean. Not over bulky and rigid). I plan on doing Kickboxing twice a week to start, I'm not looking to ever compete, and bodybuilding will remain my top priority after all these years. I don't believe it has to be one or the other at this level.

Thanks for reading.

That's definitely normal. Pacing is key. A lot of new students tend to go balls out when hitting the pads even when their stance/technique is messed up.

That's definitely normal. Pacing is key. A lot of new students tend to go balls out when hitting the pads even when their stance/technique is messed up.

Yeah, I found myself guilty of that. I found that I was inclined to hit the pads as fast as the guy was popping them up, and too hard as well. I learned soon enough and dialed it down a bit.

I know it was my first time but it was definitely humbling, it makes you appreciate the athletes you watch on TV and also everywhere else, and how much work they have put in.

If you're a weightlifter transitioning to kickboxing just be careful not to kick the limbs off of those kickboxing guys.
Most are a bunch of bean poles who considering lifting the frozen pizzas from the car trunk to the freezer their 'leg day'.

You're going to be kicking with more muscular force than a kickboxing guy has seen in years.

In short: don't go 100%.... you'll be sending too many people to the ER.

If you're a weightlifter transitioning to kickboxing just be careful not to kick the limbs off of those kickboxing guys.
Most are a bunch of bean poles who considering lifting the frozen pizzas from the car trunk to the freezer their 'leg day'.

You're going to be kicking with more muscular force than a kickboxing guy has seen in years.

In short: don't go 100%.... you'll be sending too many people to the ER.

chances are he won't know how to throw a proper kick to be powerful enough to cause injury to someone who has been kickboxing

In my opinion going hard and failing is better then pacing yourself to get through a class

And TS enjoy kickboxing

Hi Guys,

I'm a 21 year old male, been weight lifting for the past 6 years and have become fairly accomplished at that. I'm not the largest framed person; I'm 5'9, 191lbs, around 12% body fat.

I've always been aware that weightlifting/bodybuilding does little for cardiovascular endurance and conditioning, but I didn't realise how out of shape I was, and still am, until after my first time at an open Kickboxing class.

So last night was my first time entering a martial arts class - or any group class for that matter - so I was fairly apprehensive. The first worrying sign was the fact I was out of breath just walking to the place!

There was no introduction, straight in - "everyone grab a rope.." for 1 minute of steady skipping. Luckily I've dabble at home with a bit of skipping so I could maintain a steady, albeit slower compared to everyone else, pace for the minute. Followed by shadow boxing for a minute, followed by 1,2,1,2 for a full minute at max pace, then 30 seconds of max pace situps, then 30 seconds pressups. This was repeated 3 times with 30 seconds in between. I was fu**** by this point!

Looking up from my keeled-over-what-am-I-even-doing-here position, I look up and everyone is busy chatting away, a slight shine on their heads but not even out of breathe that much.

After this, and about a full minutes rest after the final circuit, I am paired up with another new (a few months in) guy, and we are instructed to practice a movement drill where the pad holder walks back at a constant pace to one end of the room, while the puncher practices moving forward and striking whilst maintaining proper foot position and seemless movement. This was far from seemless for me; I hadn't even been shown the fundamentals, such as stance or how to strike. I figure this is my first time, the more I show up and show my worth the more they will dedicate themselves to teaching me these fundamentals.

After this was a similar drill, though this time the pad holder pivoted on his still lead leg, rotating clockwise and anticlockwise, whilst the puncher strikes the pads, again trying to remain in position - never crossing feet over for example.

My shoulders at this point are burning beyond belief. 6/8 rep shoulder press, lateral raises and heavy bench don't do anything to prepare you for this, and if anything, it only seemed to cause them to burn out much faster.

The last drill we practiced was front kick, with the instructor emphasising that the point of this particular exercise is to ensure we have the proper foot and toe position when striking - foot pointed down, toes curled up. We repeated this for 3 minutes each turn, switching between lead and back leg.

Strangely, I found the pad holding one of the most awkward parts. I felt a nuisance for my partner when I kept messing up the pad positions for the combos we were instructed to drill. I'm guessing this will get easier over time. A way overlooked skill, in my opinion, is being a decent pad holder.

So, a "warm-up" that could have served as a full workout for me, a LOT of pad work, and not much instruction on technique sums up my first class.

Does this sound normal to you guys? My main goal and ambition remains bodybuilding (natural and lean. Not over bulky and rigid). I plan on doing Kickboxing twice a week to start, I'm not looking to ever compete, and bodybuilding will remain my top priority after all these years. I don't believe it has to be one or the other at this level.

Thanks for reading.

so you have never trained before, never held pads before and dont know how to hold pads. Yet on your first day your holding pads for someone? SMH :confused:. You must be in the US? So you join a gym, you pay them to teach you and instead of teaching you, you are teaching your partner.

sounds like a classic case of "I dont pay to be a trainer, I pay to be a fighter".

What gym is it and how much do you pay a month?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading.

This sounds like everyone's first day at a martial arts gym. just keep showing up and relax. don't try to hit the pads with any special force. concentrate on technique then speed. once you're hitting with proper technique and reasonable speed, the power will come.

You will suck at holding pads for a long time as well but then the coach should be aware of matching you up with another begginner;

so you have never trained before, never held pads before and dont know how to hold pads. Yet on your first day your holding pads for someone? SMH :confused:. You must be in the US? So you join a gym, you pay them to teach you and instead of teaching you, you are teaching your partner.

sounds like a classic case of "I dont pay to be a trainer, I pay to be a fighter".

To be fair, what do you expect? Best case scenario someone on their first day will be taken aside and taught some basics but what if there are 10+ other people in class? in Thailand there are enough people involved with muay thai to provide 1-on-1 sessions to an endless wave of tourists but I wouldn't expect this anywhere else.

I forgot to post in your thread but I agree in your case you should be getting better coaching but afaik at comercial classes people hold pads for each other.

I think the main problem with cardio is not necessarily cardiovascular capability but rather a tendency to be stiff and using too much muscle force. I suggest you spend the first few weeks on being as relaxed as possible, mentally and physically. You can be a thriatlon athlete with great cardio but if you're tense you will gas very fast

This sounds like everyone's first day at a martial arts gym. just keep showing up and relax. don't try to hit the pads with any special force. concentrate on technique then speed. once you're hitting with proper technique and reasonable speed, the power will come.

You will suck at holding pads for a long time as well but then the coach should be aware of matching you up with another begginner;

To be fair, what do you expect? Best case scenario someone on their first day will be taken aside and taught some basics but what if there are 10+ other people in class? in Thailand there are enough people involved with muay thai to provide 1-on-1 sessions to an endless wave of tourists but I wouldn't expect this anywhere else.

I forgot to post in your thread but I agree in your case you should be getting better coaching but afaik at comercial classes people hold pads for each other.

totally agree, just saw a opportunity to point out how its pretty much the standard everywhere here

That's just the reality of the situation in the US. Most gyms just scrape by financially and don't have the infrastructure to provide private trainers for everyone.

@KSRWJ Just keep plugging along you will get better and better with time. Weightlifting is a completely different form of exercise.

Back