Look how bad Ronnie Coleman's condition has gotten

I have nothing but respect for Ronnie, and hope his quality of life is as good as it can be. Did he go about everything in the most intelligent way possible? Probably not. But who does, besides people who never really live. At the end of the day, he seems like a good dude, with an incredible work ethic, positive attitude, who was gifted enough to do what he loved for a living, and on his own terms.

I have nothing but respect for Ronnie, and hope his quality of life is as good as it can be. Did he go about everything in the most intelligent way possible? Probably not. But who does, besides people who never really live. At the end of the day, he seems like a good dude, with an incredible work ethic, positive attitude, who was gifted enough to do what he loved for a living, and on his own terms.
It's just sad seeing him literally crawling on the floor like that. I didn't know it was that bad. I just think he still would have been a highly accomplished atg bodybuilder with a safer smarter routine than what he did. Also his career would have been longer so probably more successful in the long run. Imagine Ronnie still being able to walk, move and be healthy right now. He'd probably still be really popular and would have more success with his businesses, be able to travel around and do interviews, meets and things like that

It's just sad seeing him literally crawling on the floor like that. I didn't know it was that bad. I just think he still would have been a highly accomplished atg bodybuilder with a safer smarter routine than what he did. Also his career would have been longer so probably more successful in the long run. Imagine Ronnie still being able to walk, move and be healthy right now. He'd probably still be really popular and would have more success with his businesses, be able to travel around and do interviews, meets and things like that
Impossible to know how Ronnie would've fared without all the insane training. He would've done well, regardless. But 8x Mr. O? Hard to say. But certainly, plenty of bb'ers who got to win with Ronnie said he trained on a different level from everyone else.

Impossible to know how Ronnie would've fared without all the insane training. He would've done well, regardless. But 8x Mr. O? Hard to say. But certainly, plenty of bb'ers who got to win with Ronnie said he trained on a different level from everyone else.
Doesn't the science say that Ronnie's training wasn't even the best for hypertrophy? The reps and intensity he was doing was almost more for powerlifting or strongman, but Ronnie just wasn't that smart in the way he was doing it which is why even most powerlifters and strongman are less fucked up than him

Doesn't the science say that Ronnie's training wasn't even the best for hypertrophy? The reps and intensity he was doing was almost more for powerlifting or strongman, but Ronnie just wasn't that smart in the way he was doing it which is why even most powerlifters and strongman are less fucked up than him
Bodybuilding isn't an exact science(hence why are there is so much bro science, grifters, etc, permeating in the fitness community). Volume vs intensity, compound vs isolation, free weight vs machine, etc. We've seen Olympia physiques with all sorts of training protocols.

Also, even if his training style wasn't relevant to his titles, perhaps it is impossible to separate it from him. That is, the same drive that made him train so intensely, made him go to all the other lengths to reach the pinnacle. I don't know, but just food for thought.

Can he swim? Stick a tail on the man and he can be the Little Mermaid.

As above. Just lifting the weights is what it is but it encompasses all factors, especially the mind-set.
I know very little about Ronnie other than, given that insane work ethic, I suspect his psyche would have been to go overboard on anything he did. The Goggins of bodybuilding in some respects. But that same path to a wheelchair is likely the same path that took him to greatness.

Lifting progressively heavier weight causes hypertrophy, whatever nerds might say. Ronnie was training perfectly for his purposes.

Also, no. Bro let’s get real. Ronnie ended up in a wheelchair because of shitty hip genetics. That’s it. There are plenty of strength athletes who trained just as hard as he did and they were fine.

Sooner or later, there is bound to have a flaw in Ronnie’s DNA.

I mean look at me. Perfect powerlifting genetics. My teammates in Judo bang up their knees all the time while mine stay fine. And yet, I’m likely gonna die of a stroke or a heart attack in my fifties while my teammates can eat cheeseburgers all day and be fine.

I mean look at me. Perfect powerlifting genetics. My teammates in Judo bang up their knees all the time while mine stay fine. And yet, I’m likely gonna die of a stroke or a heart attack in my fifties while my teammates can eat cheeseburgers all day and be fine.
What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

Because my family tree is full of people who get strokes and heart attacks even though they weren't even as fat as I am. So unless I become a jacked grandpa (which I aim to be), I'm fucked.

Time to embrace the cardio. Goblet squats and swings won't cut it.

Goblet squats and swings are cardio. Cardio is any repetitive movement with your major muscle groups done for minutes. I'll be doing 50-rep sets of Goblet squats. It's cardio.

You expect my 250-pound fat ass to jog? I value my knee health.

Goblet squats and swings are cardio. Cardio is any repetitive movement with your major muscle groups done for minutes. I'll be doing 50-rep sets of Goblet squats. It's cardio.

You expect my 250-pound fat ass to jog? I value my knee health.
For a fat person maybe.
Rower, Bike, Walk, whatever ... work up to 1 hour+ of non-stop movement. Heart health is important too.

For a fat person maybe.
Rower, Bike, Walk, whatever ... work up to 1 hour+ of non-stop movement. Heart health is important too.

Thanks. So you think "LISS" is better for me than high-intensity cardio?

If you're concerned about living past 50, yes.
What's your resting HR?

I don't know. But if it's true that it'll help me stay healthy at an advanced age, I'll do it.

I dont know what my resting heart rate is.

Hmmm... I think for LISS, I'll walk in the treadmill. No matter what, I won't jog. In like... Ever. But walking doesn't scare me. Zero chances of injury.

I should do it daily then.

I don't know. But if it's true that it'll help me stay healthy at an advanced age, I'll do it.

I dont know what my resting heart rate is.

Hmmm... I think for LISS, I'll walk in the treadmill. No matter what, I won't jog. In like... Ever. But walking doesn't scare me. Zero chances of injury.

I should do it daily then.
It doesn't need to be all or nothing. 2-3 days a week to start. Maybe start at 20-30 minutes per session, work your way up. Measure your HR, aim for ~130bpm. You can mix in other movements too, doesn't need to be strictly walking. I don't know if you'll be able to raise your HR that high with walking unless you add some speed or incline (depends how out of shape you are).

The guy was one of the best to ever do it. The issue is more the fact he took it to the absolute extreme and was already a ginormous person. The body only has so much in it and he sacrificed it earlier to be the best at his time.

Most of the body building guys are like this. Do you really think the current instagram culture of PED use at 18, isn;t going to be like this even younger? They are skipping the initial 5-10 years of drug free lifting most of these guys had prior to jumping on the gear.

Back