Looking for a BJJ camp near JONESBORO GA

ATL

Altitude MMA
Reaction score
Hello im looking for a BJJ camp near jonesboro ga, ive googled and googled and all the schools seem to be in the Northern part of atlanta. this is an inconveinence as I donot wish to travel 1 hr and half to train. If anyone knows of a place let me know.

I have 3 and half yrs no gi BJJ expirience and about a yr of MT if anyone wants to meet up.

Shaun

Whatever you do. Don't join knuckle up. They just closed a bunch of schools and screwed the people into continuing to pay their contracts. Try X3 or Alliance.

Whatever you do. Don't join knuckle up. They just closed a bunch of schools and screwed the people into continuing to pay their contracts. Try X3 or Alliance.

couldn't agree more. Don't know about X3 personally, but Alliance in Marietta is an incredibly good (although the drive to Marietta might not be worth it for you on a routine basis). You could call them and see if they know of any schools/teachers in that area.

If you do end up finding a place out and away from Atlanta that you can't get any advice on, train there and then (once every week or two) drive up to Alliance and roll there. You will at least get a better indication of the quality of the school you find and whether it's worth the commute to Marietta. I suspect that you'll agree that it does after a while, but who knows. I've had plenty of 1 or 2 hour commutes (b/c of taking public transportation), and it sucks, but it can be worth it depending on the alternative schools.

couldn't agree more. Don't know about X3 personally, but Alliance in Marietta is an incredibly good (although the drive to Marietta might not be worth it for you on a routine basis). You could call them and see if they know of any schools/teachers in that area.

If you do end up finding a place out and away from Atlanta that you can't get any advice on, train there and then (once every week or two) drive up to Alliance and roll there. You will at least get a better indication of the quality of the school you find and whether it's worth the commute to Marietta. I suspect that you'll agree that it does after a while, but who knows. I've had plenty of 1 or 2 hour commutes (b/c of taking public transportation), and it sucks, but it can be worth it depending on the alternative schools.

Well I hvae trained at knuckle up and it was meh , but that was 2 yrs ago, I met junior and went over to ascencion , my friend johnny dunn PR DIRECTOR from FightMag goes to alliance so I know those tow places besides roberto travens school are the most legit in the area and hard core too but those places are incredibly far from me . Thanks for the replies hopefully there wil be a school no more than 30 minutes away.

I know a guy that teaches at Hard Knox. He's a great guy, and he'll treat you right. It might be a little far though.

Hardknox is in Kennesaw. To far for you but a good place. Unit 2 Fitness is another one you can try. The ones I mentioned are in Midtown and the closest I can think of cause you are way south.

Hard Knox? They are going through a turn around phase, as they have just let their BB (Diego) go due to not giving any promotions. Hopefully it will be a lot better soon. But it is a heck of a drive from Jonesboro.

X3, Alliance, American Top Team, Ascension, Roberto Traven and Tiger Academy are all great choices. I'm with Tiger Academy, which is a Pedro Sauer affiliate under Eddie Camden (2nd degree BB). Great school, great people.

Unit 2 Fitness is only about 30 minutes from Jonesboro. I actually live in Jonesboro and go there.

Roberto Traven, a fifth degree black belt, is the head instructor there. He teaches all of the classes there. Traven is the BJJ coach for many of the pro-fighters in Atlanta including many of the guys who teach in the schools mentioned above.

Your more than welcome to drop by whenever and try a class.

My friend is traveling and in Atlanta today and someone at KnuckleUpFtiness *claimed* that there is a red belt instructor teaching BJJ there.

Besides Helio Gracie (who is dead), who could this be?

Sounds like B.S. to me.

Hard Knox? They are going through a turn around phase, as they have just let their BB (Diego) go due to not giving any promotions. Hopefully it will be a lot better soon. But it is a heck of a drive from Jonesboro.

X3, Alliance, American Top Team, Ascension, Roberto Traven and Tiger Academy are all great choices. I'm with Tiger Academy, which is a Pedro Sauer affiliate under Eddie Camden (2nd degree BB). Great school, great people.

youre wrong here man..Diego wasnt let "go", he opened his own place. its nice you should see it. who told that he was let go?maybe a rumor..

Unit 2 Fitness is only about 30 minutes from Jonesboro. I actually live in Jonesboro and go there.

Roberto Traven, a fifth degree black belt, is the head instructor there. He teaches all of the classes there. Traven is the BJJ coach for many of the pro-fighters in Atlanta including many of the guys who teach in the schools mentioned above.

Your more than welcome to drop by whenever and try a class.

I train in Peachtree City, which is somewhat nearby to Jonesboro as well, if you don't want to travel to the city. We have a purple from Unit 2 as our instructor (hopefully brown soon), we've really only got about 4-5 regular guys (mostly ~1-3 years exp), so it's a small class size, but the flip side is we get good individual attention.

youre wrong here man..Diego wasnt let "go", he opened his own place. its nice you should see it. who told that he was let go?maybe a rumor..

A guy that trains at Hard Knox told me that is what happened. Seems a pretty credible guy, but who knows. If wrong, then good on Diego for getting his own school. :D

My friend is traveling and in Atlanta today and someone at KnuckleUpFtiness *claimed* that there is a red belt instructor teaching BJJ there.

Besides Helio Gracie (who is dead), who could this be?

Sounds like B.S. to me.

Exactly. I stand by my previous post.

I would also suggest moving out of jonesboro... but that's me.

A guy that trains at Hard Knox told me that is what happened. Seems a pretty credible guy, but who knows. If wrong, then good on Diego for getting his own school. :D

yeah well im sure the guys from hardknox arent too happy with him, i know from diego himself why he left, its not mine to spread, but hes a great guy with a great program, and his new place is awesome, too bad its such a drive for me .

yeah well im sure the guys from hardknox arent too happy with him, i know from diego himself why he left, its not mine to spread, but hes a great guy with a great program, and his new place is awesome, too bad its such a drive for me .

That's cool. I know the guy was not to fond of the BJJ program at the time, so I can see that angle. Good to hear his new place is working out.

How far are you from Griffin, GA? There's a gym there called Praxis MMA. The instructor Cam McHargue is amazing, fought pro for years and is one of the best cornermen you could ask for. I don't train there personally but I do train at one of the affiliate schools in Valdosta (VMAC).

weve all heard the red belt story, its become a running joke around here in GA

Search didn't show anything about this.

What's the deal with the 8th degree Black Belt Master Ricardo Murgel?

Search didn't show anything about this.

What's the deal with the 8th degree Black Belt Master Ricardo Murgel?

UPDATE: Master Ricardo Murgel is an 8th Degree BJJ black belt under the IBJJF and currently owns his own gym in Alpharetta, GA called Union Team BJJ. His organization is called Union Team BJJ Organization (still alive and strong) with affiliates in the US, Brazil, and Eastern Europe. Here is the facebook page. Master Murgel's program focuses on Gi, No Gi, and Judo techniques, as he's also a black belt in Judo under the Judo Brazilian Federation.

Back