Looking for Old Ken Shamrock Interview on Leg Locks and Eddie Bravo

I studied, write about, and teach film. That's my main thing, film history and analysis. But a big part of that is martial arts movies, and then since my interest in martial arts extends beyond movies, every once in a while when I've had the time - or felt like shoehorning it in - I've written about MMA. Usually, it's part of a larger scholarly context* but I did write a short article on the invention of the term MMA.** I'd love to write more, specifically on Ken and on the evolution of BJJ and catch wrestling in MMA, but it's so fucking tough when it comes to sourcing shit :mad:

* https://www.academia.edu/7595453/Co...Instituting_Reality_in_Martial_Arts_Practice_

https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2...y-martial-arts-in-classical-hollywood-cinema/

https://www.academia.edu/17852529/H...between_Planet_Hollywood_and_Planet_Hong_Kong

** https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2...martial-arts-between-culture-media-and-sport/
Very cool -- I wish the best for you on your endeavors, and thank you for sharing. I can see why you want to find that interview now. Shamrock was such a big part of the game and the evolution of MMA; had a big role on leg locks for sure.

Yeah, I used to do his stuff years ago. Probably 2008 or even before, can't remember. I'm not saying it sucks or won't work, just the amount of time you put into it and the physical abilities you have to learn is not worth it when vastly superior systems exist. It can be tricky and take people off guard for sure. And has it's positives.

Totally agree.

The level of commitment to the system only pays off in very, very specific circumstances. You’re better off spending that level of attention to say… boxing, or the stuff Danaher’s pushing.

Last edited:
I've looked many times in the past, but now, after the big forum migration from years ago that wiped out tens of thousands of pages and hundreds of thousands of threads - and the further back, the higher the number of shit lost - I don't know if it's anywhere on here. But I confess that my diligence from years past is not operative at the moment. Right now, I'm hoping that someone else will be able to succeed where I've failed :D

I still can't get over how much of a monumental fuck up that was. Who in the sam hill were you guys paying to handle that anyways? My spirit cannot rest easy until i'm able to send an angrily worded letter.

It's like the guy who burned down the temple of artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world, because he wanted 'to be remembered by history', only worse, because sherdog history is obviously even more important.

I still can't get over how much of a monumental fuck up that was. Who in the sam hill were you guys paying to handle that anyways? My spirit cannot rest easy until i'm able to send an angrily worded letter.

It's like the guy who burned down the temple of artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world, because he wanted 'to be remembered by history', only worse, because sherdog history is obviously even more important.

Preaching to the choir. That united the entire forum, from noobs to vets and white belts to mods, in furious anger.

3QYV.gif

Yeah, some of my best trolling is probably gone forever. There was a Sherdog RPG thread that involved someone RP'ing as Tsuyoshi Khosaka--I can't remember who else--fighting killer wolves in a forest. People kept joining in but there was a mod that banned it because he found it subversive.

Randomly ended up here again approaching two years since I first posted this thread, and nearly 20 years since I first read this elusive interview, and I figured I might as well try again: Anybody have a source for this old Ken Shamrock/Eddie Bravo leg lock dust up? It's still driving me crazy that I've never been able to find this interview.

byuntear-straightjacket.gif

dear god he's dumb.

i lke this one, too:

Pretty much sums up his 'innovative' theories regarding BJJ also.

It may well turn out that Bravo's greatest contribution will be this conversation he had with Ken; being gradually convinced that leg locks work, and then this interest gradually spilling over and eventually spurring the BJJ community and guys like Danaher to study catch and sambo and incorporate it into the hybrid art or 'next meta' they now do.

I'm not going to give up on trying to find this interview, but in the meantime, while searching this time around, I ended up on YouTube watching this 2010 seminar with Ken Shamrock (and assistant Mikey Burnett) running through leg locks. Fun blast from the past and some cool stuff for anyone interested.

Back