Looking for the right Gold Weave today!

getupgus

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sitting here on the web for a week after meniscus surgery and decided I'm going to ask my wife to buy me a new go for valentines! haha Well i can't decide which gi to get. At first Origin was my pick because it's made in america and I'm a supporter of american made products but after being out of work for a week I really can't afford the 200 dollar price tag. plus I really want a blue gi. Im looking to spend 120 or less. I really like the VHTS Azure Gi but they don't carry my size right now, and that broke my lil heart!! I would like the Padilla and Sons Mako but they seem to be out of my size and have not responded to my email. Can anyone recommend a solid Blue or Navy Gi preferably Gold weave? Thanks everyone!

For whatever it may or may not be worth, Padilla & Sons are pretty terrible about their correspondence by email. Apart from that, I bought a Mako about a year ago and while the quality is outstanding I had a series of personal gripes with the gi. First, the gi top shrunk a fair bit after a couple of wash and dry cycles. Air dry, that is, not in a dryer. Also, the pants were ridiculously gigantic. I own 6 gis and while I'm not unfamiliar with large pants (I wear an A3), I recently bought an A4 that was on super sale and those pants were appreciably smaller than the sumo sized fat kid pants that come with the Padilla & Sons gi. I had to take them to an alterations place to get them sized appropriately, even, which was another $40.

Again, the quality and construction is fantastic and the gold weave texture is rugged as hell but if you're looking to maximize your dollar when short on cash, definitely look elsewhere. Just my two cents on that brand.

For whatever it may or may not be worth, Padilla & Sons are pretty terrible about their correspondence by email. Apart from that, I bought a Mako about a year ago and while the quality is outstanding I had a series of personal gripes with the gi. First, the gi top shrunk a fair bit after a couple of wash and dry cycles. Air dry, that is, not in a dryer. Also, the pants were ridiculously gigantic. I own 6 gis and while I'm not unfamiliar with large pants (I wear an A3), I recently bought an A4 that was on super sale and those pants were appreciably smaller than the sumo sized fat kid pants that come with the Padilla & Sons gi. I had to take them to an alterations place to get them sized appropriately, even, which was another $40.

Again, the quality and construction is fantastic and the gold weave texture is rugged as hell but if you're looking to maximize your dollar when short on cash, definitely look elsewhere. Just my two cents on that brand.

Thanks a lot for the feed back. do you have any recommendation? would like a gold weave. i realized i like thick gis

I JUST got a Padilla and sons gold weave gi and I had none of the issues mentioned in this thread. Firstly, I contacted them through their website and got almost immediate correspondance, Also, my pants arent huge.

Ill write a more in depth review later but try contacting them through their website link.

I've got the Venum Absolute and love it. A couple people I roll with bought some Atama Gold Weaves and really like those. They got 'em pretty cheap, too.

RE: Ironwolf
I'm glad you didn't experience the same issues that I did. It took 3 emails to them over the span of nearly 2 weeks and, while I'm not a particularly patient person, I waited as I had some pretty basic questions about the gi. They did finally respond but with a little BJJ forum searching, I found I wasn't the only person that had this issue. Granted, they're a small, family run company as far as I know so I can understand that they don't spend all of their time checking email. As to the other problems I had, I'm not a difficult person to please and my Tatami, Grips and Venum gis were all pretty much spot on right out of the bag and didn't have any of the same issues as the P&S. Admittedly, I'm a little salty about it because of that.

Do a search for subculture jiu jitsu gi's. Very reasonably priced gold weave in navy blue or charcoal grey.

Killer Bee sells a navy gold-weave (in addition to the normal black, white and blue). I have a blue one and it's solid as hell. Certainly not the "softest" gold weave out there, but it's a fantastic gi.

I recommend Killer Bee for the OP.

Killer Bee sells a navy gold-weave (in addition to the normal black, white and blue). I have a blue one and it's solid as hell. Certainly not the "softest" gold weave out there, but it's a fantastic gi.

I recommend Killer Bee for the OP.

killer bee sells there go top and bottoms separate don't they? i think i calculated like 135 for both top and bottom. i do like the navy go they have though.

Yeah, they sell it separately if you want it that way. I have the Scutellata (gold weave) top with the heavy cotton pants. I usually use it for training/class. It's pretty heavy, but not ridiculous. I'd say it's one of the better fitting and better made gis that are out there.

I haven't checked what their prices are as of late but if I recall correctly, I paid around the same amount with shipping and everything. In a market full of gis that have sort of spiraled out of control in terms of prices, Killer Bee makes the best product out there.

I also have the Ligustica, but with the ripstop pants. That... is actually tied with my favorite gis in my collection right now. I'm probably going to order a custom one, too.

I got a Black Eagle Predator Basico goldweave for just under $100 OTD, and I love the thing.
Only problem is that Budovideos doesn't stock them anymore, so I'm not sure if there's any way to get them economically here in the US anymore. :(

I too bought a Gi from Padilla & Sons. Sent an email thru the website on a weekend. They actually responded over the weekend and thru a series of correspondence, which actually led to them calling me directly I ordered 2 Gi's and a separate pants.

Do yourself a favor, check out their stuff on their website and send them an email. You can buy the Jacket and Pants separately.

I JUST got a Padilla and sons gold weave gi and I had none of the issues mentioned in this thread. Firstly, I contacted them through their website and got almost immediate correspondance, Also, my pants arent huge.

Ill write a more in depth review later but try contacting them through their website link.

If you do a search you will see pretty easy that they have several issues with lack of follow up. I tried calling and several emails off their site and never any response . I purchased a Fuji sekai and really like it. I also have a Atama Gold and its held up great for several years. I did want to try a Mako but with that kind of service I will look else where

If you do a search you will see pretty easy that they have several issues with lack of follow up. I tried calling and several emails off their site and never any response . I purchased a Fuji sekai and really like it. I also have a Atama Gold and its held up great for several years. I did want to try a Mako but with that kind of service I will look else where

Why read about people's ab experiences when I've had good experience first hand with them?

Yup ..its super soft but only in white

Softest gi I own, for sure. It is definitely not a thick gold weave. The pants feel fairly heavy-duty, but the top is light.

I was told by Meerkatsu himself to get a Fudoshin and its on its way! ill let you guys know whats up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back