Looking to get a .45 and could use some opinions.

sleepwalk

pork roll, egg and cheese belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
My duty weapon is a Beretta M9. My current off-duty is a Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm.) I've been encouraged by friends to go for a .45 for a while for doing plain-clothes details.

Here's the skinny:

1) Been recommended to get the Glock or the XD.

2) I have small-to-medium hand size but I actually shot better with the 92FS before going to the M9.

3) I do great with .40 and .45 at the range except I sometimes anticipate and throw a few at the 25yd line.

Any ideas?

Nice thread and pics, Chest!

Stang, you have XD .45 or 1911-model .45?

I vote XD45. I absolutely love mine. If you can wait a few months the XD45M is coming out soon. Has a better trigger, match barrel and interchangeable backstraps.

I'm more accurate with my XD than any other pistol I own and I've never had a single malfunction in well over 2000 rnds.

The big question here is, what's your budget? If money was no object I'd say get yourself an HK45 or a high end 1911 if you are comfortable carrying cocked and locked.

3) I do great with .40 and .45 at the range except I sometimes anticipate and throw a few at the 25yd line.

Any ideas?

I used to teach firearms. Get blanks, like snap caps or just molded dummy rounds that will not fire, and you will catch your self flinching, or anticipating. Also, dry fire your gun a ton of times around the house (sounds silly i know) but the repetition of firing with the focus on proper trigger pull and sight allignment is key to overcoming the anticipation.

and as far as calibers go, 9mm will also stop someone very effectively, especially with the proper ammunition. Remember, it doesn't matter if you're shooting a 22mm anti tank gun if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

^^^^ Thanks. I only seem to do this with strange guns. I'm so used to the trigger pulls on mine now that I react a little when I use something new.

If you currently have a Glock, you may want to stay with a Glock. For .45, look at the Glock 21 for full size (they also make a slim frame option, the 21SF), the G30 is the subcompact and the G36 is the slimline subcompact.

If he's got small-medium sized hands then I'd recommend the G36 over the G21 or G30 because those double stack .45 ACP Glock frames feel really, really chunky.

Yeah, I've got a G21 and it does have a large grip (which is why they came out with the slim frame, but I haven't shot one of those).

Are you saying there is a difference in the grip size between the M9 and the 92FS? I always thought that they were the same pistol, size wise. Isn't "M9" just the military model number for the 92FS? M9 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ther's definitely a difference, just not as noticeable as with the Vertec. "M9" was the designation for the 92FS but is now given to a redesign specific to that purpose that shares some features with the 90two (as is to my understanding.) The "new M9" has a rail standard and slight differences in some dimensions.

Para makes the GI Expert which has had some good reviews and some bad ones.

Still a good buy for $600

The new GI Expert is a significant departure from the norm for ParaUSA. It is a basic, no frills, full-size 1911 pistol aimed squarely at the entry-level market. As such, we expect to see it compared to the Springfield Armory GI, the Auto-Ordnance GI, and the Rock Island Armory GI. With a suggested list price of $599 and street prices well below that, the GI Expert is price competitive with the other brands’ “GI” pistols. Our task in this review was to wring out the pistol to find out if it is competitive in performance. As the evaluation unfolded, we were favorably impressed and, frankly, even a bit surprised by this new model’s performance.

The GI Expert is nothing more nor less than a back-to-basics 1911 pistol in the standard format of a 5” barrel on a single stack frame. A few years ago, the mere fact of Para offering a single stack 1911 was front page news of itself. Today, the company offers a wide range of 1911 pistols in both single stack and double stack configurations. What’s the big deal about one more 1911 from a company that offers over thirty models? For starters, the price. ParaUSA (formerly Para-Ordnance) is not known for selling “cheap” pistols. Most Para models sell for around $1,000 and up. With a suggested retail price of only $599, the new GI Expert offers shooters on restricted budgets a way to own a Para pistol without breaking the bank or taking out a second mortgage.

Secondly, although (as will be discussed below) the GI Expert is not an especially faithful rendition of the original M1911 or of an M1911A1 in a visual sense, mechanically and functionally it comes far closer to the original than any previous ParaUSA offering. In the process, it incorporates several steps back in time for ParaUSA.

The GI Expert ships in Para’s standard plastic box, with two 8-round magazines, an instruction book, a cable lock, a polymer bushing wrench, a small starter package of “Mil-Comm TW-25B” lubricant, and a warranty card. It does not appear significantly different from other ParaUSA pistols.
ParaUSA GI Expert - M1911.ORG E-zine

IMG_0418.jpg

Note that if you are left handed, this 1911 does not have an ambidexterous safety.

I would go glock 100%

The main advantage of a glock is that it will reliably feed your ammo no matter what brand/weight. FTF is impossible unless you got bad ammo and FTE wont happen unless you limp wrist, so...

I dont want to guess if my weapons gonna work when I need it. Not saying XD and MP arent cool weapons, I just dont have as much faith in them when using whatever ammo I may have. If you did go for one of those (bad move) just fire hundreds and hundreds of your SD rounds to make sure there are no hickups. Id also check the glock with your intended SD round but wouldnt personally feel the need to use as many expensive SD rounds for QC testing.

If the 45 is just for fun I would buy whatever the best deal was at a gun show. I do like the bigger bore but if you already have a g26 why go to 45? Whats wrong with g27 if you dont have faith in 9mm? I personally think the g27 in 40 is your best bet if you like the small frame g26 or just go with the bad boy g23 and load it up with 13+1 of 180grain HST moving at 1050fps. If the Federal HST 180 grainer dont get their attention than your prolly up poo creek!

1911 are for rich people. I would need to be making lots of money to justify buying a 1911 and even if I did it will still be a safe queen/range toy. I make 60k a year and even if I made 120 I doubt Id buy one. To many other cool weapons Id choose first. Of course if you came across a smoking deal thats another thing.

It comes down to money and your background. If you already have a background in 1911s and know them well or you plan to get the equivilent of a degree in making them function I would say go for the 1911. Just go into it with a education, don't plan on spending 600 bucks on a Rock Island and having a 3,000 dollar weapon.

If you don't have any experience with 45s and you're looking to step up in caliber and dont have any attachment to the 1911 here is a simple answer. For a thousand Bucks you can go for a Sig single stack and you will not need to get a education in gunsmithing or spend money on fixing anything.

Products & Services

P220R-detail-L.jpg

Another 600 and you can add a 22. to go with it so you have a dedicated plinker.

Products & Services

P220-22LR-detail-L.jpg

If you dont know much but still want a 1911 maybe you can go for a Sig 1911 for Thousand Bucks. In the end you will save money by not having to deal with customization.

Products & Services

1911-XO-detail-L.jpg

There are many fine second hand 1911s around but you need to have a good education before you start buying them up. Some look nice and fancy but are in reality junk. Others are just the opposite, look like junk but shoot like a dream, they just need some cosmetics.

If in the end you do decide you want a double stack high capacity clip you may want to think about 9mm. Glocks are fine but they are far from being the only game in town like they were up till a few years ago. There are no simple answers for choosing a firearm and the market is great, there have never been more choices. You need to get down to the range and shoot some of these recommendations for yourself. Check the fit, see how it feels to you, see how comfortable it is to shoot and stay on the paper, then pick out what is right for you.

Back