Looks Like My A/C Unit Needs To Be Replaced

das omen

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My A/C went out this past weekend and had a few guys over today to take a look at it. There was zero Freon, nor did we discover where the leak is, at least for now. My current unit is a Carrier 5 ton and nearly 20 years old.

Guy A is quoting me $6500 to replace the outside unit and a few components in the attic, to be replaced with an American Standard.

Guy B is quoting me $5200 to replace both the outside unit and the furnace, unit guaranteed for 10 years and is someone who has worked on my Dad’s A/C. New unit will be a new Carrier 5 ton.

Ultimately went with Guy B. The guy starts first thing tomorrow morning. Just want an input from the Sherdoggers to see if the deal I made seems reasonable. I live in Houston, TX by the way, so you know a solid A/C is essential.

Thanks brahs.

Why would you ask for people's opinion after you made the purchase?

Sounds pretty cheap, actually. Sounds like you got a good deal. I will say there’s a huge difference in price and value of gas furnaces. If you plan to stay in the house over 5 years it’s often worth it to upgrade to the most efficient grade.

Guy A is quoting me $6500 to replace the outside unit and a few components in the attic, to be replaced with an American Standard.

Guy B is quoting me $5200 to replace both the outside unit and the furnace, unit guaranteed for 10 years and is someone who has worked on my Dad’s A/C. New unit will be a new Carrier 5 ton.

That's a good deal on Guy B, Carrier makes a solid AC unit. American Standard is one of the highest rated A/C units out right now, but all this depends on model and if they are variable speed. It sucks having to make such a large purchase but it will increase your home's value by doing so. I can tell you first hand a new A/C unit is very important to a lot of people when buying a new home.

My A/C went out this past weekend and had a few guys over today to take a look at it. There was zero Freon, nor did we discover where the leak is, at least for now. My current unit is a Carrier 5 ton and nearly 20 years old.

Ultimately went with Guy B. The guy starts first thing tomorrow morning. Just want an input from the Sherdoggers to see if the deal I made seems reasonable. I live in Houston, TX by the way, so you know a solid A/C is essential.

Thanks brahs.

That sounds right for a 5 ton unit. Might was well have a smart thermostat put in as well while you're at it. If you program the unit right, you can save yourself some money there. You may already have one though.

Nothing like a ultra humid - 95 degree Houston summer to crater an old A/C system. I replaced my units 6 years ago and was in the ballpark. I have two units, upstairs and downstairs, but they're 3 ton units. The upstairs unit gets a serious workout.

Many are changing to wall mounted ductless mini split units. They have an outdoor unit that can run one or more room units to create zones. Cool the area you're in rather than the entire house. Having more than one unit provides backup if one fails.

I feel your pain brother. I had the fan go out in one unit and the compressor in the other one. :(
About 3000 for both repairs.

Back