Losses that helped fighters the most

goldbelt**

White Belt
Reaction score
Which loss helped a fighter most in MMA?

Some that come to mind are:

Couture losing to Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez, which made him consider a drop to 205, which he did do, and that re-kickstarted his career again as he beat Liddell, Ortiz, and win the title at 205.

GSP losing to Serra. That loss made GSP realize that he can't take anyone not seriously and he can't just rely on talent. He didn't rain hardly at all for that fight and got taken out and lost his title because of it. He avenged the loss, won the title again, and defended it 8 times.

Tito Ortiz losing to Frank Shamrock. Ortiz learned that conditioning was maybe the most important tool in mixed martial arts from this loss. He gassed and was choked out by Shamrock, but after that Ortiz's cardio was amazing and he went on to win the title and set a record for most title defenses at 205.

Fighter Quotes on losing

Chris Lytle mentioned how the Serra loss turned him into a better fighter.

Anderson losing to Chonan. He went crazy violent after that loss. His wins against Horn and Murray, while very good, were very measured and paced. And he fought that way against Chonan too. After losing to Chonan he just decided to destroy people.

I think GSP losing to Serra. Can't say Vitor because he had his ups and downs, or Cain who just got one-shotted which I think it was just luck.

OH YEA AND: Overeem losing to Bigfoot, I really want to see the Overeem we all knew.

If "help" = "turn a fighter more bureaucratic", then yes, losing to Serra definitely helped GSP.

Chael losing to Silva the first time launched Chael into stardom.

Brian Stann gained a lot of fans after his brawl with Wand.

The fight against Quarry helped Starnes realize his life long dream as a distance runner.

TJ Grant's loss to Almieda and subsequent drop to Lightweight seem prescient these days.

I would disagree with listing GSP there...after losing to Serra "Rush" ceased to exist, he became "Safe" instead.

Now it's true he has dominated, but the change in fight style does hurt his legacy a little bit. He was basically the original Jon Jones, destroying everything in sight. If GSP continued to be that guy he'd probably be widely considered #1 GOAT. Instead he's not in the conversation, it's between Anderson, Fedor and perhaps soon Jones.

I think GSP losing to Serra. Can't say Vitor because he had his ups and downs, or Cain who just got one-shotted which I think it was just luck.

OH YEA AND: Overeem losing to Bigfoot, I really want to see the Overeem we all knew.

That is the Overeem we all know

Cruz loss to Faber made him decide to get a proper training camp.

I'd say Nick Diaz losing to Condit and Sonnen losing to Anderson the 2nd time. They both got a title shot after losing.

Okami after Chael loss

Alex losing to Phil was great for him, he actually went and trained his wrestling with Davis and improved a lot.
I love both those guys for doing that.

Back