Love it or list it

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anyone ever watch this show? My wife loves it and I find it funny and baffling how little these people get for their renovation budget.

It's like you've got to be a fkn idiot to hand your budget over to Hillary.

"What's your budget?"

"Hmmm...about 150k".

"OOOF....that's gonna be really tight but we'll do what we can".

Shits a joke. My brother added 1200 sq feet to his house...basement, main, and 2nd floor. Brand new floors, kitchens, baths, etc for like 120k.

On this show they spend tens of thousands reconfiguring shit...adding beams at like 10k a pop, etc. They must just use the top of the line subs for everything with 0 competitive bidding.

The idea right out of the gate is retarded.

The average return on home renovations is roughly $0.60 on the dollar. For those of you math impaired that means your house goes up in value by $100k if you spend $150k, give or take.

"Hey I'm thinking about moving, should I light $50 grand on fire?"

People get the idea from HGTV that doing home improvements equals you make tons of money. The average return by PRO house flippers is $50k, and that is usually 5-7months work.

AND the people making money on these things in most cases do the work themselves or own a contracting company and are at least getting certain things done at cost, not cost plus another heaping pile of money for labor at $50-100+ per hour.

Anyway, now that I have ranted about how retarded the show is and the idea upon which it was built...
my inlaws LOVE IT.

My wife went through a couple years when she watched this shit non-stop. We’ve remodeled the shit out of our house, so I’ve had enough.

had fun reading awhile back about all the issues with the show. tons of unhappy people who had them come in, tear up their house and leave it unfinished, unsafe, etc once the show wrapped.

also, as if you didn't know reality show is fake, i find it astonishing how in every single episode they ran into budget problems and had to cut stuff which infuriated the homeowner. every. single. episode

We watch it.

The thing that pisses me off about all of these home reno shows is that they ask the homeowner about a budget but always max it out.

Like, if I say my budget is $100k... try to come under that, not spend the whole amount.

Whenever I budget for a project that I'm doing myself, I try to come under as much as possible.

The idea right out of the gate is retarded.

The average return on home renovations is roughly $0.60 on the dollar. For those of you math impaired that means your house goes up in value by $100k if you spend $150k, give or take.

"Hey I'm thinking about moving, should I light $50 grand on fire?"

People get the idea from HGTV that doing home improvements equals you make tons of money. The average return by PRO house flippers is $50k, and that is usually 5-7months work.

AND the people making money on these things in most cases do the work themselves or own a contracting company and are at least getting certain things done at cost, not cost plus another heaping pile of money for labor at $50-100+ per hour.

Anyway, now that I have ranted about how retarded the show is and the idea upon which it was built...
my inlaws LOVE IT.
I always laugh when the know nothing sales agents and/or buyers don't like the way the kitchen is set up and one of them mentions they can just relocate the stove, oven, vent, sink and refrigerator.

Yeah, okay. You can do that one Saturday morning while the coffee is brewing. Many times it's not possible and the cost is off the charts even if it is possible.

Is this the same one where they have a dude working at McDonald's and his budget for a new home is like 600k?

I always laugh when the know nothing sales agents and/or buyers don't like the way the kitchen is set up and one of them mentions they can just relocate the stove, oven, vent, sink and refrigerator.

Yeah, okay. You can do that one Saturday morning while the coffee is brewing. Many times it's not possible and the cost is off the charts even if it is possible.
truth. the cost on these shows gives a very unrealistic perception to people.

Steve and Janessa in bumfuck rural Georgia have a $20k budget to renovate this 4 bedroom house.

Then people in my area ask me:
how much to update the kitchen?

$80,000

<Moyes5>

Yeah. $80k. Maybe MORE. it is expensive as fuck here. $80k is if I lie and tell them you are my friend. if YOU call it will be $100k.

Just the kitchen?

Just the kitchen.

Back in maybe early 2010s I liked watching it with my grandmother, so now I’ll put it on every now and again to watch it. But it pisses me off how sloppily the show is edited. Once you notice how these peoples outfits change and go back and forth in the timeline it’ll drive you nuts. Could they be just all wearing the same outfits as each other as they did on x day as well as this day. Maybe. But I’ve read up on the making of this show and . . . Yeah.

Like anything, you have to do the work yourself in order for it to be profitable. If all you had to do was pay people to do work for you and then turn a profit off of their work...then we would all stop working and just do that instead.

Back