Low Bar Killing my Progress

RukshawM4st3r

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everytime time I get up to 225lbs work sets, my form starts to break down. The worst part is the bar seems to roll back on to my left wrist which absolutly wrecks the session because it makes my elbow throb. I'm just not understanding how your upper back can stay upright without the weight of the bar loading onto your arms. This is getting frustrating, I really don't want so switch back to high bar...

Would appreciate any suggestions/conceptual help with this..

Edit* Thinking about my upperback/bar posititioning so much is ruining my drive out of the hole. I know I can do more weight than this.

Last edited:
Your back is not supposed to stay "upright" on a low bar squat.

Your back is not supposed to stay "upright" on a low bar squat.

true story
6a00d834515d6769e2010537182b44970b-500wi

Post a form check. Maybe you're resting the bar down too low?

Make sure you have your upper back super tight, leaving a 'shelf' that the bar can rest on across your rear delts and lower traps, your arms more than anything are there to hold the weight onto the shelf, but the majority of the pressure should be onto your back.

I suspect he has an arm flexibility issue that is causing his wrists to bend and take the some of the weight of the bar against the hands in a way that is mechanically difficult to manage and may result in the bar "rolling down" the back.

If that's the case, try to get the bar as low on the hand as you can, closer to the wrist.

Thumbless grip solved my issues of sore wrists when I first started squatting low bar.

And squatting more often solved my issues of shoulder inflexibility in the low bar position.

After google searching on this topic... Half of everyone says elbows up and the other half says elbows down...

No, in a low bar squat it's elbows up. Stay tight and squeeze your shoulderblades together. That way you create the shelf for the bar.

I think that the wrists are supposed to be straight so that rather than becoming load bearing the help push the bar against the back.

I think that the wrists are supposed to be straight so that rather than becoming load bearing the help push the bar against the back.

Yeah, you're not supposed to be holding the weight up with your hands, you're holding it down against your back. It sounds like TS is setting up all wrong. Maybe his "low bar" is a little too low or something.

Try to imagine yourself pushing the bar against your upper back and delts instead of supporting the weight with your wrists. This might mean rotating your wrists forward.

Post a video. It's really hard to tell without. My guess is that you are keeping the bar really low or that you are losing tightness and crumbling.

I had a similar experience when I switched from high to low bar. I was trying to stay too upright & the bar was actually too high on my back so it was trying to roll down to where it should have been. As has been said already, post a video. It could obviously be a number of different things.

Like others said post a video then we can see what your doing wrong.

Thumbless grip solved my issues of sore wrists when I first started squatting low bar.

And squatting more often solved my issues of shoulder inflexibility in the low bar position.

I remember this and i told you to do thumbless :icon_chee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back