low budget eating

bayboy4life

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what advice would you give to me on how to eat healthy on a low budget. I spend my money on gym membership and bjj and mauy thai classes. Any advice would be cool thanks

when tuna's on sale get a shitload of that i think i stocked up when it was at 3 or 4 for a dollar and eggs and bags of chicken breasts and broccoli or canned green beans and peas is what i do....u gotta get creative with tuna though try bbq sauce or even spaghetti sauce or canned diced tomatoes..fat free mayo...oatmeal

Eggs, milk, fresh or even frozen vegetables, peanut butter (get natural), bread, lunch meats...all pretty cost effective...

The best way to save money is just to not eat out and make your own food...I'm not talking "go to the frozen food aisle" make your own food (even though this is also FAR cheaper than eating out at restaurants)...like, go buy the elements of food and cut it up and cooking it kinda make your own food...

Just takes a little bit of time for prep and whatnot...

Tuna, Quaker Oats, Frozen Veggies are all cheap.

Keep an eye out for when the market has a bunch of chicken coming up on it's sell by date. They will usually mark it all down to like 50% off. Just buy a ton of it and then cook it all and freeze it. It will keep fine.

also, before you go ahead and buy the oats, check out the bulk section of the store, where they sell stuff in huge bins, where you scoop it out into bags. I found oatmeal at albertsons that was a lot cheaper, and higher quality, plus it was organic, which is usually more expensive.

Before I got married I'd have 1 day a week when I'd cook enough stuff to do me for the week. I'd put it in single containers in the fridge so I could just grab what I wanted & throw it in the microwave.

Just cutting out pre-made meals & eating out can make a huge difference in your budget.

Also see when your local grocery store marks down their meat. I know at Wal-Mart they mark everything that's going out of date the next day by 30%. There's nothing wrong with the meat, but they will just throw it away if it's date is up. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't ever be able to afford beef.

I live by myself in college so what I do is cook a sh*tload of chicken for the week and put the rest in the fridge. Its like 12$ for the whole week. I usually reheat it through microwave and put bbq sauce on it but it still tastes like sh*t.
My mom would come to my dorm with tuna salad/sandwhich sometimes.

its alot better than eating $1 cup noodles everyday

Once in a while I would have lean cuisene or weight watchers or even hungryman, if had the money

InternetMonster said:
Once in a while I would have lean cuisene or weight watchers or even hungryman, if had the money

tv dinners are so filled with chemicals and shit.. bleh!

my usual weekly shopping consists of

large bag of wholewheat pasta - roughly £1

Large bag frozen mixed veg - £2

Fresh Turkey breast - roughly £2 for 500g i get about 5 packs (get the whole breats as cheaper than the pre diced/sliced stuff)

4 x tins chopped tomatoes - £1.50

15 eggs - £1.50

Wholemeal bread - £0.50

Tins of tuna/sardines - £0.40

cook all the pasta, turkey and mixed veg. Mix all together with tinned tomatoes. Place in individual containers and stick in fridge/freezer for whole week.

Eggs for breakfast/lunch or whenever.
Tuna/sardines for sandwiches/salads.

Any extra food money i use on fresh fruit and veg.

I live in the uk and our prices are stupidly high. but this is an inexpensive way to eat well, it saw me through college when everyone else was eating pot noodles and baked beans and i still pretty much do this now.
Like others have said before cut out the take out food, spend a bit of time preparing your own food and this will benefit your wallet and health.

Yep, as most of the others have pointed out preparing your own meals is the best way to go. As a base pasta, rice and frozen veges are your best friend, they have a very long shelf life, so stock up on these you'll always have food and will have to spend very little to buy any extras such as chicken or fresh veges to complete a meal. The cheapest meal i know is:

- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- frozen veges
- 1 cup chicken stock
- pasta

1. Cook pasta
2. Fry onion & garlic in olive oil
3. when onion is done add the rest and let simmer for 15mins
4. mix with cooked pasta

As a very simple and very cheap meal this is actually very nice and so much can be added if you wish: bacon, mince, mushrooms, peppers, ect.

Ian Coe said:
tesco or asda

I've been buying brocolli from tescos for like 90p for 2 servings with kale.....it lasts me, but man does it get boring.
I might start to look into frozen veg....

tesco most of the time, country mix frozen veg, cauliflower, brocolli, carrots and peas, cant go wrong.

+1 for Tesco. Pick the right time of day and they're giving the stuff away. Once they actually paid me 7p to take home a bag of potatoes.

whey protein
canned tuna
pasta...preferably whole wheat or spinach. I like egg-white noodles, which are high in protein and cheap as well
breads...whole wheat - so many brands you should be able to find deals
eggs
large bags of apples are usually cheap
dark green vegtables...whatever you can find the most of cheapest

Clint07 said:
Just buy a ton of it and then cook it all and freeze it. It will keep fine.

u can actually freeze the raw chicken too, just cook it as soon as it is defrosted fully...also its nice to marinade it while its defrosting...12 hours of defrosting in the fridge will marinade it nicely

Also try legumes like chickpeas, black beans, and split pea. They are cheap and pack a decent amount of protein. And if you get sick of eating all that tuna, pick up some canned salmon or salmon patties...it usually runs cheaper than salmon steaks.

Back