Low Carb & Mediterranean diet better than a Low Fat diet.

WARserra

GMEN > Everyone else
@red
Reaction score
Study: Low-carb diet best for weight, cholesterol

By MIKE STOBBE

I was waiting for this to come up. You guys gotta remember that the low-fat diet they used was the American Heart Association Diet. A diet of 30% fat with 300 mg of cholesterol daily.

Now - I can't speak for other vegans, but in my diet, I tend to keep my fat at 7% of my caloric intake and zero dietary cholesterol. This isn't to take too much away from the study, but just a side note. Also, don't forget that the study was funded by the Atkins.

If anyone wants a link to the full study:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/359/3/229.pdf

All the fuss aside, all of the diet produced quality results with not many drastic differences.

I personally think the Atkins Diet is horrible. South Beach and other glycemic index diets are far superior, IMO, although I do agree with a significant protein intake, just not ignoring carbs.

The bottom line is the study doesn't prove much. 6-10 pounds of weight loss in a 2 two-year period is a joke and an amount that small could be explained by almost anything. Sounds like a bunch of folks that long abandoned their diets and then jumped back on them before the two-year weigh-in. After all, I've read the Atkins Diet is more efficient at early water weight loss than others and I know from personal experience that it will strip away muscle mass real quick (unless you're regularly weight lifting).

i agree the medditeranian diet is much healthier.fresh fruits and vegatbles,healthly fats,clean carbs from pasta and rice is much better than over processed healthy choice garbage.its much better tasting also.

I was waiting for this to come up. You guys gotta remember that the low-fat diet they used was the American Heart Association Diet. A diet of 30% fat with 300 mg of cholesterol daily.

Now - I can't speak for other vegans, but in my diet, I tend to keep my fat at 7% of my caloric intake and zero dietary cholesterol. This isn't to take too much away from the study, but just a side note. Also, don't forget that the study was funded by the Atkins.

All the fuss aside, all of the diet produced quality results with not many drastic differences.

The reality is that almost any diet can produce good results if you stick with it. There is no "perfect" diet, it just doesn't exist. People are too different.

low fat diet is dead, not even mainstream nutritionist advocate low fat.

So at 3000kcal, you consume 210kcal or around 25g of fat. What's the point of so low a fat consumption?

Really? I'm not saying I advocate a low-fat diet, but I thought that low-fat was still somewhat popular. I know Dean Ornish still advocates one, although, I suppose he technically isn't a nutritionist.

I'm always curious about nutritionists, I seem to get conflicting data as to what constitutes their consensus view on the ideal diet.

Edit : That's not to say that there is a complete consensus on what is ideal, but it's hard to know what the 'cutting edge' is sometimes.

Actually quite a few still do in Hospitals. More so than you would think. Alan is slowly changing that at conferances, but not all of them attend of course.

The scary thing is, the AHA still does, and this is probably the #1 area a high fat, low carb diet could have huge potential.

Cool study, thanks to the TS for posting. It's reassuring to me to read studies like this to dismiss any irrational doubts I have about low carb, WHICH ARE IRRATIONAL! lol

The scary thing is, the AHA still does, and this is probably the #1 area a high fat, low carb diet could have huge potential.

American Heart Association??? More like, American Dumb Association :mad:

Anyways, the official stance of the Harvard School of Public health is against the low fat diet
Low-Fat Diet Not a Cure-All - Nutrition in the News - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
So if its not mainstream, it will be soon. The problem is that they are still against saturates.

Back