Lt. Dan

This scene always resonated with me as a child. Growing up rough, I already instinctively understood rage in the face of adversity. Sometimes when you've been backed into a corner, anger is all you have left. You can drown in that kind of anger. But you can also learn to harness it, to scream into the storm "Is that all you got, because I'm still fucking here! Better bring more bitch! And when you feel truly hopeless, there's a sort of freedom in that. Everything went poorly, time to rebuild. Not everyone had a father to teach them lessons like that growing up.

So thank you, Lt. Dan.

<RomeroSalute>

That's a great euphemism for any adversity tbh.
Lt Dan was my favorite character in that movie because of his rage.

My favorite part is when Gump is pushing him in his chair across the street and Lt Dan bangs on the can and screams "IM WALKING HERE" lol

ngl ive received a lot of much needed advice and guidance as a young man (joined this forum originally ~12 yrs ago) on this forum

cheers sherbrethren
Same here. Lors of people from all over with different backgrounds and perspectives. I was in my mid twenties when I found this place and I'm 42 now. Crazy to think I've been coming to this site every day for 17 years.

Last edited:
That's a great euphemism for any adversity tbh.
Lt Dan was my favorite character in that movie because of his rage.

My favorite part is when Gump is pushing him in his chair across the street and Lt Dan bangs on the can and screams "IM WALKING HERE" lol
He has one of the most satisfying character arcs in movie history for me. He went through the shit lost everything he had in just about every way you could lose something. But he came out the other side more of a human being, not less

He has one of the most satisfying character arcs in movie history for me. He went through the shit lost everything he had in just about every way you could lose something. But he came out the other side more of a human being, not less

He really "learned something" right in front of you...a thing that everyone can connect to, being human.

He puts everything out there and you take the ride even if you didn't want to.
You can't hate him in all honesty sir.

He really "learned something" right in front of you...a thing that everyone can connect to, being human.

He puts everything out there and you take the ride even if you didn't want to.
You can't hate him in all honesty sir.
It's hard to put that kind of character development onscreen without it looking cheesy. And a lot of people find Forrest Gump too sentimental/cheesy in general, but I thought they had the right amount of grit and heart to pull it off.

It's hard to put that kind of character development onscreen without it looking cheesy. And a lot of people find Forrest Gump too sentimental/cheesy in general, but I thought they had the right amount of grit and heart to pull it off.

Gary S pulled that role off seamlessly, it was almost a different part of the movie.

Gary S pulled that role off seamlessly, it was almost a different part of the movie.
As someone else said I remember being a little bummed when he stopped showing up in stuff. He was a very good actor.

Eve

R see the stand?
Was actually thinking of the stand when I wrote that lol. I'm a huge King fan so that miniseries was a big deal for me. I remember having to get permission stay up past my bedtime on a school night to watch it lol.

Last big role I can remember for Molly Ringwald too.

He got a hot oriental wife in the end as well!

Was actually thinking of the stand when I wrote that lol. I'm a huge King fan so that miniseries was a big deal for me. I remember having to get permission stay up past my bedtime on a school night to watch it lol.

Last big role I can remember for Molly Ringwald too.
M-0-0-N...that spells....stfu ya big dummy lmao

That’s because that was real people doing real world shit. Truly scary.
If you were under 12 maybe you thought that. I was 15 when the movie came out. I knew better. I was expecting a truly horrifying movie based on the hype. Instead I got 3 teens acting (very poorly) scared in the woods while nothing happened. At that point I had already seen Psycho, Halloween, Childs Play, and several bloody action movies like Robocop, T2, Alien, and Starship Troopers. I was expecting more. It was literally the worst attempt at a horror movie I had ever seen and to this day its still the second worst. I have never understood the hype.

Last edited:
Lt. Dan had arguably the best arc in the movie. Went from having a destiny and a legacy to live up to, to rock bottom with no purpose, to finding his own path and love.

Also I have a lot of respect for what Gary does for wounded vets and families that lost service members. Great actor and great person.

This scene always resonated with me as a child. Growing up rough, I already instinctively understood rage in the face of adversity. Sometimes when you've been backed into a corner, anger is all you have left. You can drown in that kind of anger. But you can also learn to harness it, to scream into the storm "Is that all you got, because I'm still fucking here! Better bring more bitch! And when you feel truly hopeless, there's a sort of freedom in that. Everything went poorly, time to rebuild. Not everyone had a father to teach them lessons like that growing up.

So thank you, Lt. Dan.

<RomeroSalute>

This kid's going for his 2nd Dan......

1703937254006.jpeg
Courage & heart with a shrimp:)

I appreciate the fact he makes service members and their families sacrifice the center focus of his charity endeavors.

Big fan of him as an actor and especially this role. He nailed it and his arc of being embittered to not living up to what he felt was his family legacy and losing his legs to where he finds acceptance and forgiveness of himself is great.

Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies out there and he definitely makes it.

Back