Lucas Lepri's Game

N

NewGuardBjj

I've been watching a few of Lepri's matches. He seems to have a pressure passing style that depends a lot on the scramble. It's nice to see someone not playing the guard game. He also shoots for takedowns. Does anyone pull from Lepri's game, or study it?

Yeah, I study it a lot. His passing DVD is my go to for passing modern guards. His guard game is also really effective even though it's simple.

I like his style. He's got great balance. A lot of those passes seem like they are risky, but he just keeps the pressure and eventually gets to the side.

I like his style. He's got great balance. A lot of those passes seem like they are risky, but he just keeps the pressure and eventually gets to the side.

I went to his seminar before. He's actually very well-rounded and has a great guard game as well. I notice he likes to do some kind of single leg with the sleeve fed from DLR. He taught mostly modern DLR techniques though. (He also pulls guard sometimes.)

His passing is mostly pressure passes revolving knee cut passes. Lots of different ways to deal with DLR and RDLR guard.

His passing at the 2014 Mundials was a thing of beauty!

one of my favorites to watch.

Yeah, I study it a lot. His passing DVD is my go to for passing modern guards. His guard game is also really effective even though it's simple.

How is his DVD. Especially the explanations? Worth it?

How is his DVD. Especially the explanations? Worth it?

It's a great DVD for passing modern guards in the gi. Best I've seen. I love it. Well worth the $$$.

Would you say that it's a worthwhile investment as a supplement for a Mendes Bros Online member who is mostly interested in their style of passing, or is it not worth the money if I'm already pretty set on the Guilherme style of passing?

Would you say that it's a worthwhile investment as a supplement for a Mendes Bros Online member who is mostly interested in their style of passing, or is it not worth the money if I'm already pretty set on the Guilherme style of passing?

I think Lucas and Gui have pretty similar passing styles - I haven't seen much of Mendes Bro's online but I bet you could integrate a lot of what Lucas shows into the stuff Gui does, and seeing the way Lucas approaches some passes would probably be useful too.

his game is passing then letting you reguard in a way that sets him up for his strongest passing position

watch him i think it was the last mundials vs JT where he won by 20 points.

surprised no one ever talked about that.

he is a passing beast unless he is against Lo

What I find odd, and this isn't even an attempt at criticism, is how reckless his passing game looks. It looks like he could get swept/caught in something, but he just ends up passing.

Lucas has massive pressure. His head-down posture might look a little unorthodox but it's like trying to move a boulder. And then if you do get some movement, it's like trying to trip a cat.

My lifetime aspiration is to be 10% as good as Lucas.

I'm my opinion, no. If you are trying to pass like Gui, then stick to that. Lepri shows a lot of passes on his DVD, but it's not set up in a system. It's more like a series of techniques. If you watch Lepri's passing in matches, he stays safe, stays patient, and just sets up a wall of defense, blocking hooks with his body positioning. Lepri deflates his opponents to the point that they make a mistake. You won't get any of that in his DVD. If anything, Ryan Hall's DVD on guard passing is better.

The MB Online stuff a lot more detailed oriented mixed in with some theory which is good. You won't find that on Lepri's DVD. You'll get more from Lepri's passing game by watching and studying his matches.

I was supposed to get my brown from Lucas(he visits 1or2x yr), but I had to work. That day several of my peers got their brown from him through my instructor. In part I wanted to get mine from my instructor because he's the one who sees me all the time.

A move I like that he does is arm drag, kouchi gake.
Arm drag to back. The other guy defends drag you hit the legs.

I have trained with Lucas for several years and over that time I have done many private lessons to try and pick up as much of his guard and passing as possible. Based off of what I have learned I can tell you that it is really not just pressure passing. He will move side to side if he is not in a good position. And although it may look as though he is in a bad spot there are things he does to nullify him really being threatened. Like for example when he is in an opponents DLR guard he will turn his knee a certain way that does not look obvious that prevents many attacks and if the opponent tries to open up that is when he will either cut the knee or go for a folding pass. Right now I feel more comfortable with his guard game than anything else because that is what I have been working with him more on. So I have a good idea of what grips he goes for like lapel and sleeve and what to do. His guard is very underrated and IMO he has one of the top guard out there. It is hard to find video of it because he sweeps his opponents so fast he is never "playing guard" for very long. The best description I have heard of it comes from Jon Thomas one of his teammates where he says that Lucas always threatens the single leg and when the opponent resists he will threaten the X guard. I am a huge fan of his and very proud to have trained with him.

Back