M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN'S - THE VILLAGE, revisited

I find the film even more relevant nowadays as Trump speaks of building walls.
<TheWire1>

For those liking Signs. You mean you like that aliens traveled across the galaxy to a planet comprised of something that kills you, to fight a species that's made up of 70% of the same thing that kills you?
<DisgustingHHH>

<TheWire1>

For those liking Signs. You mean you like that aliens traveled across the galaxy to a planet comprised of something that kills you, to fight a species that's made up of 70% of the same thing that kills you?
<DisgustingHHH>

Yes.

Well all right, I'm glad you at least gave it another look.

Here's what I think the problem is though: You want it to be a horror movie and it's not. The Village is NOT a horror movie! It has horror elements, but the film is not a horror film so to be disappointed because it doesn't deliver on the horror aspects I think is to miss the point of the movie.

My appreciation of the film stems from two things, primarily:

1. I like the idea of a breakaway society that gets away from modernism and chooses to live life as a recreation of 19th century life. I am constantly concerned about the effect of technology on society and think that, at least in some ways, technology is working against us. So the idea of some people going off in pursuit of a simpler, more pure lifestyle in the form of a village in the 19th century is fascinating enough to keep me interested in the movie. You could strip out all the horror stuff and strip out the plot twist--just make the movie, from the beginning, about THAT premise--and I'd be down. So I can watch the film just on that one level and thoroughly enjoy it.

2. The meditation on the nature of innocence. So much of the film is about the nature of innocence: what it is, how it can be lost, and whether or not it can be reclaimed once lost. And I find that to be an interesting philosophical exploration.

So yeah, I think that until you can get away from your expectations regarding The Village working as a horror film, you will not appreciate it.

If you can manage to do that, then you'll find the beautiful film that lies underneath the surface. If you can't, then you won't.

697.jpg

I can understand you now. This, to yoy, is not, and was not, ever a horror. Despite the elements, despite the suits, despite the fed fear, despite the warning of monsters, despite what genre youd find this movie in a video store, despite how it was marketed, despite the font choice for the title, despite the director being known for mostly horror, despite the actors saying "im in a horror movie, im telling you!"

I suppose, if one could do that, sure, its good.
But all humor aside, its a bit of a false flag. I could and would just separate this movie from M. Nights movie list. (just like i do with airbender)

<TheWire1>

<DisgustingHHH>

Well, the creatures in Signs are demons, not aliens. They don't come from space and I don't believe they traveled on space ships. That whole movie is about Mel Gibson's character finding his faith in God again; at the end he resumes his life as a priest.

The demons are burned by holy water blessed by his daughter, who left the glasses around the house. Not so much regular water.

The movie actually lampoons tin foil wearing conspiracy as far as extraterrestrials are concerned, subtle commentary (in my opinion) made by M.Night to highlight that most UFO stuff is disinformation to cover the real threat of demonic forces.

Well, the creatures in Signs are demons, not aliens. They don't come from space and I don't believe they traveled on space ships. That whole movie is about Mel Gibson's character finding his faith in God again; at the end he resumes his life as a priest.

The demons are burned by holy water blessed by his daughter, who left the glasses around the house. Not so much regular water.

The movie actually lampoons tin foil wearing conspiracy as far as extraterrestrials are concerned, subtle commentary (in my opinion) made by M.Night to highlight that most UFO stuff is disinformation to cover the real threat of demonic forces.

I read that interpretation just now, and it makes sense once you read it. Just wondering how the daughter can bless the water without being clergy?

It was good and has aged well.

7.5/10

697.jpg

I can understand you now. This, to yoy, is not, and was not, ever a horror. Despite the elements, despite the suits, despite the fed fear, despite the warning of monsters, despite what genre youd find this movie in a video store, despite how it was marketed, despite the font choice for the title, despite the director being known for mostly horror, despite the actors saying "im in a horror movie, im telling you!"

I suppose, if one could do that, sure, its good.
But all humor aside, its a bit of a false flag. I could and would just separate this movie from M. Nights movie list. (just like i do with airbender)

Let me put it to you this way. . .

It was MARKETED as a horror movie. It even builds itself up as such.

But that's just IT! That's THE THING! M. Night gave you these expectations and then goes, "AH HA, FUCKER! GUESS WHAT! THIS MOVIE'S NOT WHAT YOU THOUGHT IT WAS AFTER ALL!"

When the reveal in the shed happens that's when WE LEARN what the movie really is and what the story really is. It is a story about a group of concerned citizens who decided to embark on a radical experiment because they thought society had spiraled out of control.

So on your first watch, you are of course forgiven for expecting a straightforward horror film. But on the subsequent watches, you already know the film is something different. And so you should be watching the film for what you already know it is, and not what you previously expected it to be.

The Village is, at heart, a community drama.

The village is about the fact there ARE monsters and demons, and they are scary, and we can't escape.. No matter how much we run away from the bad colors.

(No racist lol)

I loved this movie and I don't get the hate.

It had some great performances emorsed in a film that was just very dumb. People over look it because of how well the cast did but the story is shit.

Split is barely a decent film. Nothing special.

I thought it was a good film. It is super divisive, some people really hate it. I rewatched it about a year ago with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it. When the twist dropped she glared at me for like 20 seconds without speaking. She wasn't a fan.

Wow. I never heard this and hadn't seen Signs in many years. Makes sense and makes the movie better imo.

Great movie I didn't watch any trailers going into it and didn't know who M.Knight was at the time so it worked out great. I was shocked when I saw so many people hating on it, I think it was marketed poorly.

Different guy.

David-Hasselhoff-GC.jpg

I thought it was a good film. It is super divisive, some people really hate it. I rewatched it about a year ago with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it. When the twist dropped she glared at me for like 20 seconds without speaking. She wasn't a fan.

Which twist? The shit one or the present time one?

Which twist? The shit one or the present time one?

Present time one. I think she said eventually shook her head and said something to the effect "Oh how convenient that Ivy is blind"

didn't love it
but that's because we went in thinking it'd be a monster film

then guessed the twist

problem with his films
have always guessed the twists
which has also ruined them

couldn't guess signs' twist
but just didn't get on with it

some directors you just don't get in with

the happening is his best work
unbreakable is also good but for other reasons

Signs was great but the water ending was kind of "WHAT?". They land of a fucking water planet and don't wear suits. I love it in spite of that, though.

People keep making this point, and it's a common complaint, but it holds no weight. There are plenty of things even in our own atmosphere, that could kill us if concentrated; but they are not, so we take them for granted. Just for example, the air we breathe is filled with mostly nitrogen; but it's mixed with oxygen, so we breathe it no problem. If it was just nitrogen though, we would die immediately. So it's not unreasonable to think that the aliens aren't affected by water until a concentrated glass of it gets dumped on them.

Back