News Mackenzie Dern (ranked 7) vs Angela Hill (ranked 13) Strawweight Fight May 20

Who wins?

• Total voters
That's still a mediocre record tho.
Andrade was 20-7 when she lost her belt to Weili.
Lawler was 19-8 after beating Amagov in Strikeforce before returning to the UFC to win the belt.
Chuck was 21-8 going into his retirement match.

Considering only 5 of Hill's fights were outside the UFC (2 of them for the Invicta title), so there's no real padding here, are you sure you know what mediocre means?

*edit*
That's winning 75% of your fights. That's halfway between a 50-50 fighter and Khabib

This is a good fight. Also name recognition. I see no problem. Hope Angela pulls it off even tho normally I would root for Dern.

I was kinda rooting for her against Lupita. I'm still not sold on Lupita, I feel like she gets unnecessary hype because she's good looking lol.
Paulo Costa gets his hype the same way ;)
mr-bean-wink-wink.gif

Andrade was 20-7 when she lost her belt to Weili.
Lawler was 19-8 after beating Amagov in Strikeforce before returning to the UFC to win the belt.
Chuck was 21-8 going into his retirement match.

Considering only 5 of Hill's fights were outside the UFC (2 of them for the Invicta title), so there's no real padding here, are you sure you know what mediocre means?
None of those records are good. It's mediocre asl and I will stand by it. Mediocre record doesn't mean mediocre fighter tho so there's that.

Originally booked for this weekend’s UFC on ABC 4 main card in Charlotte, N.C., the bout between Dern and Hill is shifting one week later to headline UFC Fight Night 224 on May 20 at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.

Two people with knowledge of the situation confirmed the booking to MMA Junkie on Monday following an initial report by MMA Fighting. The UFC has yet to make an official announcement as of this writing.

UFC Fight Night 224 was in need of a main event after Irene Aldana vs. Raquel Pennington was canceled caused by Aldana moving into a title shot vs. bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes in the UFC 289 headliner next month. That came about after Julianna Peña was forced to withdraw from her trilogy with Nunes because of injury.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/05/ufc-fight-night-224-mackenzie-dern-vs-angela-hill-rescheduled-headliner
Are they okay to go 5 rounds? Not a lot of time to re-tool thdir preparation.

I noticed several "I didn't realize so-and-so was still fighting" comments, and I'd like to add Ilir Latifi's name to this dubious list.

None of those records are good. It's mediocre asl and I will stand by it. Mediocre record doesn't mean mediocre fighter tho so there's that.
It's objectively wrong though. Are you forgetting that fighters can have losing records? Middling is middling. Again, that's about 75% win victory.

So you're not saying Chuck Liddell is a mediocre fighter, you're just saying he had a mediocre record. Same with Andrade. Again, I think that's you not knowing the meaning of the word.

I noticed several "I didn't realize so-and-so was still fighting" comments, and I'd like to add Ilir Latifi's name to this dubious list.
True. I vaguely remember him being suspended for something, that must be over with.

It's objectively wrong though. Are you forgetting that fighters can have losing records? Middling is middling. Again, that's about 75% win victory.

So you're not saying Chuck Liddell is a mediocre fighter, you're just saying he had a mediocre record. Same with Andrade. Again, I think that's you not knowing the meaning of the word.
I'm not talking about the percentage, just on paper it doesn't look good is all I'm trying to say. Not about the meaning of the word.

BJ Penn is a legend and he did great things in MMA but his record is 16-14. Just absolutely awful without context. But that doesn't take away from what he did. That's what I meant with the "mediocre record doesn't mean mediocre fighter tho" shit.

Back