MACP Modern Army Combatives Program LEGIT OR BS?

lol

no it's just a crash course

finishing level 4 (which would make you an instructor) would be a total of 440 hours of training.

Think of someone who trained BJJ or submission grappling for a total of 440 hours. Let's say they train three times a week at 2 hours per session.

That's 6 hours per week, 440 hours over ~ 73 weeks.

So the level 4 instructor is ~ = in experience to a late white belt / early blue belt who's been training 6 hours per week for a year and a half.

I'm not saying you wouldn't learn a bunch from a 40 hour 1 week training program taught by Tim Kennedy, but MACP is not a substitute for actual combat sports training. It's a program designed to teach basics to completely untrained boots so they don't just lay there and die if they get put in full mount.

Last edited:
Good for wrestling with some combat karate trained middle easterners but not against someone who actually knownwtf they're doing.

I've come across a bunch or level 4 combatives instructors and like shunyata said, good white belts or weak blue belts..

Soldiers are not training to be prizefighters, they are training to do whatever it is their job is in the leviathan, and combatives should be understood in that context.

The chief benefit of prizefighter training from a warfighting perspective is that it builds warrior mindset, espirit de corps, physical literacy, and makes sure the subject is not totally unprepared in the odd case they get into a scuffle with someone who is totally unprepared.

Don’t go into this class and expect to wipe the floor with everyone because you have a purple belt in BJJ. I’ve seen lots of soldiers with purple and higher, some better than their belts due to changing schools and having to start all over.

Like others said, not the same thing. The curriculum itself is limited.

I have a friend that was an instructor for the Marine corps equivalent, a contractor for blackwater, and is a cop now-- and he trains the other cops in this and the nitty gritty gun shit, trains swat teams or something like that. His brother is a black belt and one of my old coaches.

Anyway, he's a blue belt I think. Last time I trained with him, it wasn't really even worth sparring with him, I'm years ahead. We spent more time with me showing him stuff and letting him drill on me.

Will it toughen you up? Yeah. Is it the same level as you'll get in real BJJ? Not even close.

There's a video of Paddy Pimblett rolling with these guys, and he's effortlessly destroying them.

I still think there's value in it. It's not going to have anywhere near the technical nuance and attention to detail you'll get from actually training or probably just spending the same money on an instructional from a legit grappler.

If you're already a good grappler, it's probably mostly a waste of time, although I imagine there might be a nice nugget or two in there. You never know, those military guys are smart, and know how to survive.

So I think the answer just comes down to your goals. Do you want to be a competitor? Or do you want to have a more general education?

Back