Television MADtv, SNL, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Chappelle's Show or In Living Color - Which is the best sketch comedy show?

Which is the best sketch comedy show?

• Total voters
This is a theatrical comedy troupe. They may have a "TV" show, now, I wasn't aware, but historically, they've been the biggest talent feeder to SNL of any troupe out there. The other is Second City.
They had a short lived show on comedy central back in the late 90's. Had a great cast, Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh, Matt Besser, and Ian Roberts with a good list of guest stars as well.

Its a tough question to answer because of how difficult it is to quantify how much quality a show puts out. Most great show have fantastic early years, and taper off. SNL has had 50 years of skits. By default, it has more great or even classic skits than all of the other variety shows combined. And also, far more duds. Then again, does anyone doubt that if In Living Color were still going, much of the same criticisms would be applicable?

Overall, no variety show can get out from beneath SNLs shadow. Someone might argue that a different show had more quality per episode, but even that's debatable since the early seasons of SNL were legendary.

Ultimately, SNL has to be the winner simply because it's put out more great content than any other variety show. And any other variety show that had run as long would have had the same problems SNL has had.

The two shows aren't even comparable in terms of talent produced. Your list for SNL is hilariously short and it still easily beats In Living Color.

I can easily create a list of SNL members that you haven't mentioned which completely blows In Living Color out of the water multiple times over.

Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Billy Crystal, Bill Hader, John/Jim Belushi, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan, David Spade, Julia Lous-Dreyfus, Jason Sudeikis, Chris Rock, Conan, Larry David, Kevin Nealon, Norm Macdonald etc.
You forgot the only cast member who was a D1 football player and war hero Shane Gillis.

Mad tv has aged better for me only SNL I liked was the tiny fey and andy samberg years.

No Gilley an Keeves or Chapelles show option . Boo these oprions. Terrible list leaving best 2 off

1. Chapelles show
2. Gilley an Keeves
3. Kids in the Hall
4. Whitest kids you know
5. Living Color
6. SNL

In the 90's everyone was successful but post 90's SNL had a much less significant impact I would argue post 90's. Everybody did well in the 90's but that is why I mentioned 2000's. SNL stars took a massive hit in or after the 90's. Farley died, Dana Carvey went nowhere after SNL and Wayne's World, Phil Hartman died and a lot of the other cast went nowhere such as Chris Kattan.

SNL
Most notable successes are Will Ferrell, Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, Seth Myers, Leslie Jones, Robert Downey Jr. and Pete Davidson. The majority of the staff listed did not even start at SNL until well after In Living Color ended.

In Living Color
The show ended in 1994 before many of those notable SNL names were even on SNL and I can argue their influence lasted longer than those above post 2000. Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx, Damon Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, David Allan Grier, Rosie Perez, Carrie Ann Inaba and Jennifer Lopez.
For a show that only lasted like 4 years, that’s impressive.

Mr Show.
It was brilliant. They had some hilarious skits and I love the way each sketch segued into the next.

Anyways...

"Mr Show" is better than all of them.

MADtv.
(The format of SNL is great but the jokes are very poor).

Who did it better?

SNL: Laser Cats 3

SCTV: Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses (decades earlier)

I voted SCTV because I had assumed most people never watched since it is very old.

Chappelle Show had such a short run but the ratio of killer sketches is much higher then any other show.

Mad TV the first seasons were great, eventually it relied on Stuart far too much.

SNL has had way too many seasons of absolute crap to rank top.

I'm in Canada and Kids in the Hall is given such high regards... I never could get into it. Did not find it funny at all.

I voted SCTV because I had assumed most people never watched since it is very old.

Chappelle Show had such a short run but the ratio of killer sketches is much higher then any other show.

Mad TV the first seasons were great, eventually it relied on Stuart far too much.

SNL has had way too many seasons of absolute crap to rank top.

I'm in Canada and Kids in the Hall is given such high regards... I never could get into it. Did not find it funny at all.

Nice breakdown.

I went with Chappelle's show because it had the highest highs and the best killer to filler ratio IMO.

However, SNL has the biggest and most impactful legacy. Even if you hate 85% of it, there would still be hundreds of great sketches. Iconic performances like Norm coming back to host or Fear getting banned as musical guests when a mosh pit (probably the first ever on national TV) wrecked the studio. It launched the careers of some of the biggest movie stars, TV stars, writers, and a senator. Just this weekend Ghostbusters was the #1 movie in America with some geriatiric SNL alums out on the morning shows promoting it.

Kids in the Hall by a long shot then Chappelle. Can't believe Chappelle isn't getting any love. Too many whites in here I guess. SNL was garbage unless Norm was there. Also, The State was good.

Back