Maia would be unstoppable without rules and time limits.

OKMS

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Some peopple here suggested that the current UFC-rules favor Demian Maia. I guess the argumet was that Maia would get kneed/kicked while on all fours, ala 1. Sakuraba vs Wanderlei Silva. That might me true, but i think Demian would pull guard in that case. Something Saku never did.

But with the old UFC-rules (no eye-gouging, no gloves and no time limit) Maia would have mutch easier time submitting any fighter in UFC. He would only have to take you down ones and he would would not have to hurry with the choke. His opponent could not just defend the choke and stall the round. They would have to try to escape and stand up, and that would create openings for the choke. And it would be a lot easier to sinck in with out gloves. Actually Maia would not even have go for the choke. He could just elbow the back of the head, if it was a "no-rule fight." Just by taking out the rounds and having a straight fight of 15 or 25 min would give Maia better change to show the power of Jiu-Jitsu in UFC.

Maia is a blanket

Without rules he would lay on you until the end of time

You mean kinda like ole' Royce vs Saku 1?:p
No rules...except there were, um, rules.
BJJFTW!

The modern day Royce Gracie

Maia would get soccer kicked in the fucking face as soon as one of his take downs failed.

Last edited:
But Without Weight Limits a fat man could just smother him with well fat!!

Without rules or time limits Rory Mac would've jabbed and front kicked Maia to a living death

or u could just beat him at his own game like jake shields, mark munuz, whineman

@ outgrapplable

Without rules...?

<{cruzshake}>

He would receive a far worst threatment he is able to do

No
Some peopple here suggested that the current UFC-rules favor Demian Maia. I guess the argumet was that Maia would get kneed/kicked while on all fours, ala 1. Sakuraba vs Wanderlei Silva. That might me true, but i think Demian would pull guard in that case. Something Saku never did.

But with the old UFC-rules (no eye-gouging, no gloves and no time limit) Maia would have mutch easier time submitting any fighter in UFC. He would only have to take you down ones and he would would not have to hurry with the choke. His opponent could not just defend the choke and stall the round. They would have to try to escape and stand up, and that would create openings for the choke. And it would be a lot easier to sinck in with out gloves. Actually Maia would not even have go for the choke. He could just elbow the back of the head, if it was a "no-rule fight." Just by taking out the rounds and having a straight fight of 15 or 25 min would give Maia better change to show the power of Jiu-Jitsu in UFC.
Doubtful. He shoots from a long way out to pick up singles. With soccer kicks, just one failed TD, he gets punted in the head and KO'd, and I'm a Maia fan.

He tires way too easily to be 'unstoppable', lol. And I love Maia.

OId school rules were a bit more favorable to grapplers, no doubt, but there would be some thing going against him.

He would have easier time elbowing/headbutting Gunnar, LaFlare or Brown to death.

But against opponents who weren't giving up the positional battle, like Masvidal, he would have close matches, just like today.

The elbows to the back of the neck would certainly be nasty.

Yeah, well, that was the idea of the original UFC.

But he'd have other top BJJ guys to deal with, and the whole thing would be too BJJ-heavy.

MMA is more fun.

Lol, he was on his way to getting finished by Masvidal in the first round but the bell saved him.

The elbows to the back of the neck would certainly be nasty.
Yes. with todays TDD, elbows to the spine and neck would be crucial. Everythink would envolve around first and probably only takedown. If Maia gets back position, you're probably doomed. If he dont get fight to the ground, he's gettin elbowed and tired.

like in Pride with great BJJ/Wrestlers right.....

not

Did you watch pride? Failed take downs often resulted in eating knees to the top of your skull.

Nobody is saying they weren't effective, just that shooting for take downs was inherently more risky.

Less rules hurts Maia. Look at how he shot at Masvidal leg and just kind of hunched over trying to grab it. Masvidal sends his head straight to Bolivia if he tries that shit under pride rules.

And I like Maia.

Did you watch pride? Failed take downs often resulted in eating knees to the top of your skull.

Nobody is saying they weren't effective, just that shooting for take downs was inherently more risky.

Less rules hurts Maia. Look at how he shot at Masvidal leg and just kind of hunched over trying to grab it. Masvidal sends his head straight to Bolivia if he tries that shit under pride rules.

And I like Maia.

Fighters skilled in the ground had just as much chance for soccer kicks and more time to work on submission, Maia would have adapt, he simply played the rules with Masvidal. You seem to forget that Maia had also some chances to soccer kick Masvidal in their fight.

Back