Rumored Main Event purses for this Saturday night

MMA is a new sport in terms of the overall sporting landscape. It will take time for it to scale up to anything close to Boxing, Soccer, Etc.

This is not surprising
Doesn't matter, time will not change a thing has long has it's a monopoly, 16%.

No fighters are on that list, but Dana White would be.

dana-aerobis.jpg

He is why MMA fighters are poor. The deals he's made have only made it worse.
Yup

What is the point of this thread? Don’t boxing fans understand how incredibly dumb the comparison is? MMA/UFC popularity started increasing around 2005 with TUF 1. Prior to that, top PPV card in buys was Liddell vs Couture with 280k. Prior to that, almost all cards sold less than 100k. First 1 million buys PPV was Liddell vs Ortiz in 2006 and since then leading up to Ronda/McGregor era, they averaged less than 1 PPV per year that was a smash hit selling more than 1 million PPVs.

What my point is that MMA is a very new sport and can’t in any shape or form be compared to boxing other than the similarities of punching people. MMA sold its first 1 million PPV 16 years ago and the #10 top selling boxing PPV at 1.5 million buys was Holyfield vs Foreman back in 1991, 2 years prior to UFC 1.

Can boxing idiots that are for some reason on MMA forums explain to me how MMA is supposed to have caught up with boxing when MMA is a FAR younger sport in terms of mainstream attraction? Also not taking into account Zuffa/WME and their greed.

People are free to enjoy whatever they want, but boxing is richer than MMA, that’s why the biggest star MMA has ever seen went there for his largest payday.

Doesn’t make one better than the other though.

Yeah yeah and soccer is the biggest sport in the world, yet North America doesn't care for it.

Why does this bother you guys so much?
You actually have to be comfortably middle class to get into soccer in America as well. That’s where the stereotype of the soccer mom comes from because parents don’t want their kids playing rougher sports. Only immigrants and suburbanites play soccer in America.

It must mean something when MMA's biggest stars and even all time greats, call out boxers, to a BOXING match, not an MMA fight. I feel bad for guys like Cejudo. More gold than anyone, but he knows he's got to box to make that big pay day he's looking for.

Floyd Mayweather is the richest fighter in all of Combat Sports ever and it's not even close. His earnings are $1.2 Billion and Mayweather holds the all-time record for making $300 million dollars in one year the best earning ever in one year for any athlete. I am curious because I come from being a Boxing fan most and the sport is literally called "Prize Fighting" and about fighters who grew up in poverty to make it out. I feel like mma culture is very different than this. I see a ton of posts on here talking about horrible ufc fighter pay and bad treatment of fighters.

Anyway, I feel like this is relevant to Combat Sports that 4 Boxers are in the top 25 Richest athletes ever and 0 mma fighters are. Thoughts on pay for top Boxers and mma fighters and was just seeing how Usman said the fight he wants and only excites him is a Boxing match vs Canelo Alvarez for "Boxing money" he said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...yweatherronaldo-lebron-score/?sh=602a9aa72d98

Not surprised.

The Boxing pay vs. MMA pay threads are plentiful. It's kinda dumb and the comparison isn't fair based upon how the two are structured. Boxing been here for ever. MMA not as long.

Why is this in UFC discussion anyway? Not tried to be a dick...

Its great for McGregor that he has made so much money. I do believe a list of Highest Paid athletes should be what they made being an athlete. McGregor sold his Proper 12 along with his partners accounting for most of his "Earnings".

Its kinda like having a fund manager do very little but winning the lottery for $250 million and being considered the highest earning Fund Manager.

Floyd has the best record in his weight class. I still like Iron Mike better though.

Not surprised.

The Boxing pay vs. MMA pay threads are plentiful. It's kinda dumb and the comparison isn't fair based upon how the two are structured. Boxing been here for ever. MMA not as long.

Why is this in UFC discussion anyway? Not tried to be a dick...

The reason I started this thread is because I was watching an interview with Usman and he said the only fight that excites him is a Boxing match vs Canelo Alvarez for "Boxing money".

Its great for McGregor that he has made so much money. I do believe a list of Highest Paid athletes should be what they made being an athlete. McGregor sold his Proper 12 along with his partners accounting for most of his "Earnings".

Its kinda like having a fund manager do very little but winning the lottery for $250 million and being considered the highest earning Fund Manager.
I don't think you can compare a succesful business venture to winning the lottery.

Then they should have been boxers, but we all know they wouldn't even be able to make a living in boxing.

Their best bet is to make a name for themselves in the UFC and hope it's enough to skip the line in boxing to get punched up by one of their stars for money.

Marty wouldn't be able to even sniff a shot at Canelo if he had gone straight to boxing, and I doubt anybody would watch it now. It worked with Conor/Mayweather because it was mostly a shit talking spectacle and some people could convince themselves Conor had a puncher's chance against an old retired boxer who was much smaller, but nobody thinks Usman has even a puncher's chance against Canelo.

Are all boxing fans this stupid?
boxers generally get a much higher share of the total revenue than mma fighters, and we like to keep it that way, so no, we aren't stupid.

In the 80s and 90s I highly doubt soccer players earned as much as the highest martial artists. It exploded in the 2000s and percentage wice soccer is pulling away from MMA every year. So it's not like MMA is catching up. Most Premier League players earn in a week what a normal UFC fighter earn for a whole year.

I’m definitely not denying that there is a huge discrepancy but I’d question if the percentage of growth per year is not higher, especially over the last 5 years. That would be an interesting stat.

If we were to compare the highest paid soccer players and martial artists in that timeframe, a quick search showed me that Maradona earned roughly 13 million a year we he signed his deal with Napoli in 1990. I was only 2 years old then, but I doubt anyone in Martial Arts was earning anything near that.

If the money behind boxing spreads over to MMA then the fighters still wouldn't be on the list, UFC will just keep 80% of the revenue.

Money probably won’t ever come if they DW and his flunkies hold all the cards. I believe the sport will grow beyond the UFC eventually though. We are seeing more fighters exploring other options for better paydays. It’s only a matter of time in my eyes, but the way it is now there would be a cap on the exponential growth.

Back