Majority draws should be split decisions

A majority draw is a dumb idea and also logically flawed, a better solution would be to have it as a split decision. This would stop situations where fighters such as Tyron Woodley and Matt Frevola are robbed of wins. It would also mean that Wonderboy would have not got an undeserved second title shot and that Lando Vanatta would probably be on his way out of the UFC. Here is the maths behind it: we have three judges in MMA. In a split decision 2 vote for 1 fighter and 1 votes for the other other, making it 1-0. In a majority decision, 2 vote draw and 1 votes for 1 fighter making it 1-0. There is no logical reason for majority draws to exist. Hopefully this rectified and also Tyron and Matt's records are retrospectively fixed.

I disagree.
two Judges thought this fight to be a draw.
As you can see with split decisions, judges don't always agree with each other. So in the example of two calling for a draw, it does not force the view of ONE judge (who could be biased) steering the fight to his preferred fighter.

I agree with Majority draw because it follow the logic of split decision. The vote of the majority (two) judges supersedes the (probably skewed) view of one judge.

Huh?

I am ok with giving your opinion but I’m pretty much the opposite of you.

No round is exactly even
many rounds are objectively difficult to determine who won. it's not like rounds are scientifically assessed or assessable.

Actually a very good opinion

If two judges score it a draw, then the decision of the final judge should make the difference. Prevents more draws (which help no one)

......unless the ‘final judge’ is a tool!

The idea behind the ‘majority’ decision is to override the one anomaly (who could be a dud judge mis-scoring the fight)

5 competent judges would be a better way to address the issue.

OK I thought some people might struggle, I'll try illustrate it in a simpler way. So we have a red corner and a blue corner. We have three judges, a split decision is as follows:
Judge 1 - red
Judge 2 - red
Judge 3 - blue
Winner: red
A majority draw is:
Judge 1 - none
Judge 2 - none
Judge 3 - blue
Winner: none
Surely blue should have won that majority draw?
No. In scenario 1, the majority of judges believed that red won. In scenario 2, the majority of judges believed that the fight was a draw. You are missing how the wins are determined. It isn't about someone winning on more judge scorecards, it is about winning on a majority. If the majority say blue wins, then blue wins. if the majority say that it is a draw, then it is a draw. If there is no majority, then it defaults to a draw.

In any other sport if nothing happens twice and a team scores once. That team wins.
teams yea. But I mean..boxing has it, quite a few forms of kickboxing have it...The sports most analogous to the way MMA is judged agree in a majority rule in judging. Right or wrong, MMA is not an anomaly in this form of deciding an outcome.

A majority draw is a dumb idea and also logically flawed, a better solution would be to have it as a split decision. This would stop situations where fighters such as Tyron Woodley and Matt Frevola are robbed of wins. It would also mean that Wonderboy would have not got an undeserved second title shot and that Lando Vanatta would probably be on his way out of the UFC. Here is the maths behind it: we have three judges in MMA. In a split decision 2 vote for 1 fighter and 1 votes for the other other, making it 1-0. In a majority decision, 2 vote draw and 1 votes for 1 fighter making it 1-0. There is no logical reason for majority draws to exist. Hopefully this rectified and also Tyron and Matt's records are retrospectively fixed.
What you said is literally worse than what happens when close fights are draws...... you think they should just draw from a hat who wins?

There is no logical reason for someone to get a win when the majority don't think they won. That is so silly......

You could get rid of 99% of draws by adding criteria:

1) 10-8 > 10-9, 10-9
2) Fighter with a point deduction loses

(Based on freestyle wrestling scoring criteria: 4 point score > 2, 2 scores)

Back