Make a counter argument(s) against your GOAT

LoveMyMMA

lovemymma
@Black
Reaction score
A never ending debate with several options... Jones, GSP, Fedor, Khabib, Aldo, etc. Plenty to pick from.
Truthfully, there are multiple "right" answers to the question of who the GOAT of the sport is.
However, that means there's also strong arguments to be made against your GOAT.

My GOAT is Khabib.

A counter argument for me is his longevity.
He did retire early, it's unfortunate but true.
It also makes him one of the biggest what ifs because he retired at his peak and was getting better each fight.
Many, including myself, feel as if we didn't see the best of Khabib.

He also doesn't have a murders row of opponents that he's faced.
Which isn't entirely his fault because he faced who was placed in front of him and the division just didn't have enough killers during his reign.
I think he faced only 3 elite fighters - Poirier, Gaethje, and Conor and several "good but not fighters" - notably RDA and Barboza.
Even his bestfriend Islam has a stronger resume IMO. (But I still believe Khabib is the better fighter of the two)

With that being said, I can still present a solid case for why I believe he's the GOAT - BUT that's not what this thread is about....

Who is your GOAT and can you present a case AGAINST them?

GOAT: Saku
Counter-argument: Fedor

14670609_1211349612240640_8759569077307983267_n.jpg

Premise: by definition, I believe the HW GOAT has to be THE GOAT. P4P discussions are just mental gymnastics to market smaller fighters, when in reality, weight classes are designed to protect them from more dangerous fighters.

GOAT: Fedor

Counter argument: HW has historically been thinner in talent than other divisions. And he crushed a number of cans along the way, which aided his 10-year unbeaten streak.

Jon Jones.

- PEDs.

- OSP, Reyes, Santos performances.

- Probably won’t fight Pereira or Francis (two winnable fights that would cement his legacy).

- Hit & Run.

GOAT: Jon Jones

Counter-argument: Cocaine, alcohol, domestic violence, hit & runs, PED use, eye-pokes, long layoffs.

If anything the coke and alcohol makes his run even more impressive since they inhibit the body, but yes I agree with everything else.

That and he 100% lost to Reyes, respectfully.

Goat: GSP
Counter: he lost to matt serra, even though it was avenged in brutal fashion it was still matt serra.

Reactions: MRT
Counter: Didn't fight in the UFC so Dana does not milk the utters out of his name for noobies to know. But at the same time, he certified his GOAT status when he told Dana to eat shit <kiss>

Counter: Fought too many unranked freakshow fights during his streak and lack of title defences.

Goat: GSP
Counter: he lost to matt serra, even though it was avenged in brutal fashion it was still matt serra.
GSP is my GOAT as well. Personally his 2 losses add to why he is GOAT. You don't have to be perfect to be GOAT IMO. He faltered against Matt Hughes due to giving him too much respect and he faltered to Matt Serra due to not giving him enough. He overcame both of those.

Counter: "He Tapped to Strikes"
GSP took about 40 powers shots from Matt Serra, he tapped to strikes because he was too tough to actually KO. Frank Mir was one who openly stated it was cowardly to tap to strikes. Funny thing is he goes out all too quickly and the one time he didn't he tapped to strikes!!!

Demterious Johnson has more title defences against third-tier talent than most champions, let alone most GOAT candidates.

Back