Makhachev Willing to Face Oliveira or Gaethje, But Not Excited About Another Rematch

Who's Next?

• Total voters
I know he's coming off a loss, but with his streak before that, and if he wins his next fight. Dariush would be a good matchup for Makhachev. They were supposed to duke it out in 2022 anyway. And CALM DOWN Sherdoggers I'm not proclaiming Benil can beat your god, but I have a feeling it would be a fun fight. And Dariush could pull it off. And at least it wouldn't be a rematch.

Zero interesting matchups for him at LW. All sacrificial lambs who only really have a punchers chance. Give him the winner of Leon/Colby like he's asked for:
"I don't know what the UFC has planned, but my dream fight is for the second belt," Makhachev told ESPN. "Of course, I am under contract, so whatever the UFC says, I will fight, no problem. But Edwards vs. Colby -- I really believe I can beat [the winner]. I look at their skills and what they have as champion and I know my skills. It's going to be a good fight. I'm not saying I'm going to beat them easy. It's going to be a hard, tough fight against a big guy. But I believe I can finish those guys.
"I gave a chance to that guy, so they have to give me a chance, too. I gave a chance to a guy from another division to come to my weight and to try to take this belt, and he lost. I want my chance, too."
"I hope [Covington] wins, because I don't know what Leon says about [fighting me]," Makhachev said. "I've never heard Leon say he wants this fight. But Colby wants it. That's why I want Colby to win and we can meet one day. It would be a very good fight, he has good wrestling. It's going to be U.S. wrestling vs. Dagestan wrestling. He's a good fighter. He has good wrestling and good conditioning, but in my opinion, I stop his wrestling and land many good punches."

Last edited:
Its December 2021, we are all happy on Sherdog, some fightfan opens a thread and asks:

Who should Usman fight next?

He already beat:
Colby 2x,
Masvidal 2x,
Burns, and
Edwards.

He needs to move up, he is the favorite over all possible challengers and there is no new challenge!

August 2022 - Headshot Dead!
March 2023 - Loses Rematch

better be charles, more weapons
gaetje is too one sided to be a real threat

View attachment 1008080

Islam Makhachev was proud to showcase another element to his game in the UFC 294 headliner.

The reigning lightweight champion retained his title with a first-round knockout of Alexander Volkanovski in their rematch at Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi on Saturday. Makhachev hurt his foe with a head kick and finished the job with follow-up punches at the 3:06 mark of Round 1. It was a far cry from their first meeting: a hard-fought unanimous decision win for Makhachev at UFC 294 in February.

“My coaches have told me I have a good head kick. I always try to land the kick when I fight,” Makhachev said at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “For an opponent like Volkanovski, who’s a little bit shorter, it’s the best plan to land some kicks. When you have short opponent, it’s easy to land. I show him low kick, body kick and show him head kick. This is the plan.

“(I was) really happy to finish him (in the ) first round,” he added. “If it happened in championship rounds, people start to talk, ‘he took the fight on short notice and he’s not ready for championship rounds.’”

With the book closed on his rivalry with Volkanovski, talk quickly turned to Makhachev’s next opponent. UFC CEO Dana White revealed that he is leaning toward booking the champion against originally scheduled foe Charles Oliveira, even though Justin Gaethje has been lobbying hard for his own championship opportunity.

“You’ve got to give it to Oliveira,” White said. “Oliveira is ready to go. Unfortunately he got cut. I think you give it to Oliveira. But again, these are all questions that I really can’t answer right now.”

As for Makhachev, he’s willing to take on all comers.

“It’s not my job. Dana has to work on this,” Makhachev said. “I just will sign the contract. Just send me the name. But my opinion, I feel like I already have two opponents. Charles? OK, I will beat Charles, but who’s going to be next? Gaethje? He will wait? I don’t think it’s a good idea, but it is what it is. If they say Charles, OK. If they say Gaethje, for me it’s OK. It doesn’t matter – I will be ready.”

However, while Makhachev might be a company man when it comes to accepting fights, he made it clear that he’s not exactly thrilled with the possibility of another rematch.

“When you have rematch, it’s like the same. Exactly the same opponent. You have the same camp. It doesn’t make you happy,” he said. “Training last couple months for the same opponent…I said (during interviews) I have the same feeling. Last year I was here, the same gym, same team.

“When you prepare for some new opponents, it’s different. And you become a good fighter when you’re training for other opponents. Because every other opponent has something more, something different. When you’re training for the same opponent, it’s like you stay in one level.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/M...-But-Not-Excited-About-Another-Rematch-191484

Justin is going to KO Islam.....it's going to start with leg kicks and end with a Justin right hook

I don't get those who wanna see the Gaethje fight. The man is literally a turtle that is tailor made for Islam to beat. He has no shot of fending off any sustained chain wrestling TD attempts and likely gets subbed soon after.

If it's not Oliveira I'd rather see Gamrot first and if not someone like Chandler who at least poses some stylistic problems. Maybe Tsarukyan rematch in a year or so. Guys like Gaethje and Poirier are tailor made match ups who'll get absolutely steamrolled and I'm fine if they are leap frogged and Islam never fights them.

I am intrigued by the Gaethje fight because they haven't fought and if Justin is anyhow smarter than he looks he is drilling Chain-TDD as crazy.

However, the main issue I have with this fight is that they have both the same manager and, as already during Justins Kabib fight, I see Ali visiting him to make sure training is going allright, just to get inside info's about his condition and game plan which he can then present to his brethren....

If Justin really gets this fight I can only recommend that he is smart enough to not let Ali or anyone close to him near his trainings camp!

Last edited:
Well the fight with Charles left a lot of unanswered questions.

<JagsKiddingMe>
I mean, that is true, but the biggest question is some form of "What the fuck was Charles doing?"

Fighting like he should would make the fight more competitive, but his fuckup is his own choice and not everyone gets second chances. Hopefully he'll have shown why he deserves to be in there this time and it won't somehow reflect on Islam

I do not believe that Islam has been hit by someone who punches as hard as Gaethje. Although, Gaethje and Poirier both said the same thing when it came to fighting Khabib. "I can't get enough space." Hopefully things will be different for him in a match against Islam. I think Gaethje has earned it and should be fighting for a title instead of wasting his opportunity fighting a guy like McGregor.

I definitely picked Weidman to win ….Tough style match ….Silva slowing down and Silva usually looked lethargic after 205 fights

Nice!

Weidman was def toughest fight for him. I think he beats Khamzat too prime for prime. He was so talented.

I’d rather see Charles get another crack than Justin. While Justin might pose problems on the feet, he’ll always be outcrappled. Meanwhile at least Charles has his BJJ background to fall back on and would make for a more entertaining fight even though the first one was a shutout.

11-1 in his last 12
8-4 in his last 12

I know I'd rather fight the guy who got murdered by the other and has two failed, non-competitive title shots just in his last 5.

11-1 in his last 12
8-4 in his last 12

I know I'd rather fight the guy who got murdered by the other and has two failed, non-competitive title shots just in his last 5.
11-1. Who's the 1?
GettyImages-1329298712.jpg

1 year ago.

8-4. Who isn't in that 4?
JhdTyE5.png

Wonder why he wants to face one over the other?

For a cut like that no. Islam has pulled out multiple times previously, it's why he took so long for him to get ranked.
None of his pullouts were for injuries.
Who you trying to kid? Most people I know saw Charles pull out coming weeks in advance. Jeez, he was even acting funny before the fight got announced

Back