Makhachev would probably be the favorite...

LoveSherdogThisTime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
against majority of the lightweight title contenders in the last decade including Khabib.

I was able to rewatch Khabib's title run and I believe his skillsets are inferior to Islam's. Don't let his fans fool you into thinking that he was some ruthless, efficient fighter because Khabib had Lesnar-esque fear when it came to throwing punches. He swung without actually targeting. Unlike Lesnar however, he had no knockout power.

The same can be said about Islam to some degree but I'd compare him to guys like Jan Blachowicz or Magomded Ankalaev. They are vulnerable when they throw combinations but when they stay patient and counter strike, they can win any stand up battles.

When it comes to wrestling, I think Islam is the more versatile grappler who has better submission game than Khabib. People give Islam a lot of hate for his inactivity when he took Volk down but Khabib was no different. "Smash," was a rare occurrence.

It looks like the fight between Poirier and Gaethje will determine the next title challenger. It's a shame that I think Poirier will win because I don't see Poirier posing much of a threat to Islam on the feet. Islam's footwork is so good that Poirier won't even have opportunities to throw his combinations.

Islam is in the position to go down as the greatest lightweight ever. Let's appreciate his title run.

Khabib kills him

They train together, Khabib knows everything Islam has. Khabib has way better stamina too, Islam was a mess in round 5 against Volk

Hell I think it's a tough fight for Islam *right now* let alone 5 years ago
Or maybe Khabib never fought against a fighter like Volk
Only against fighters like Dustin ''Choke me daddy'' Poirier

khabob has been reported to have beaten up islam in sparring.

Although islam is the only fighter whos actually taken rounds of him.

Where Islam is superior:
  • Technical Footwork
  • Striking Technique (especially kicking, but his punches are also straighter and flow naturally into combinations better)
Where Khabib is superior:
  • Chin
  • Aggression
  • Cardio
  • Blending GnP with Submissions (Islam can really only do one or the other, doesn't blend well, better at sub-hunting)
It's well-known that Khabib beats Islam regularly when they train, so it seems the trade-off of having worse overall stand-up for better chin/cardio/aggression/blended ground-fighting is a worthwhile one.

Prime BJ kills Islam
g8jl5.jpg

5XIvhGb.gif

Get ready for the "motivated" BJ posts <Lmaoo>

Dude has 1 title defense man. Lol. One.

Back