Making of streets of rage 2 (1992 saga)

funcrusher2007

champion sound bwoy
@Brown
Reaction score
very cool and in depth vid that details how ancient team developed the side scrolling classic.
When I was a kid I’d get graph paper and draw my own sprites, it’s so much harder then people think. Also,the music from 90s games kills all so soundtrack fans will like this.

One of he best side scroller fighter with arguably the best gaming soundtrack for this genre.

Thanks for the vid!

I’m probably going to catch some flack for this, but I honestly prefer Streets of Rage 3, including the soundtrack.

One of he best side scroller fighter with arguably the best gaming soundtrack for this genre.

Thanks for the vid!
Yeah, I know a lot of peeps think us older guys are just nostalgic,but games were really made better then...with the lack of graphics,we got funnier ,better thought out games...now everything is graphics but shit gameplay.

I’m probably going to catch some flack for this, but I honestly prefer Streets of Rage 3, including the soundtrack.
Naw, that’s understandable ,I am a huge sf2 junkie so rage 3 was easy to grasp for me,I think to casual button smashers rage 3 was intimidating because of the move sets.

Naw, that’s understandable ,I am a huge sf2 junkie so rage 3 was easy to grasp for me,I think to casual button smashers rage 3 was intimidating because of the move sets.

SOR3 had more moves, the ability to roll, and a universal dash. The problem people had with it was the difficulty. I didn't think it was that bad, but some of the bosses had several lifebars which seemed to take a while to deplete. Bare Knuckle 3 was easier, the characters rolled farther, and had Ash the stereotypical homosexual.

Also, Blaze, Axel, and Skate/Sammy kept their original colors in BK3, while they were changed in SOR3 (Like Axel's piss yellow shirt).

Axel_BKIII.png
SOR_3_Axel.png

Edit: Ash's theme and laugh was still present in the SOR3 sound test.

SOR3 had more moves, the ability to roll, and a universal dash. The problem people had with it was the difficulty. I didn't think it was that bad, but some of the bosses had several lifebars which seemed to take a while to deplete. Bare Knuckle 3 was easier, the characters rolled farther, and had Ash the stereotypical homosexual.

Also, Blaze, Axel, and Skate/Sammy kept their original colors in BK3, while they were changed in SOR3 (Like Axel's piss yellow shirt).

Axel_BKIII.png
SOR_3_Axel.png

Edit: Ash's theme and laugh was still present in the SOR3 sound test.

I liked the yellow t-shirt. I hated that Dr. Zan, an electric cyborg, and a stupid kangaroo were playable characters. They should've had Adam as a playable character instead.

Even as a kid, I always thought that rollerblading character was pandering too much to the “cool kids”. That aside, I loved this game when I was younger!

I love these types of videos on YouTube. The trips down memory lane are a lot of fun, and it’s really neat to have a peek at how these games come to life.

Thanks for sharing, TS!

Even as a kid, I always thought that rollerblading character was pandering too much to the “cool kids”. That aside, I loved this game when I was younger!

I love these types of videos on YouTube. The trips down memory lane are a lot of fun, and it’s really neat to have a peek at how these games come to life.

Thanks for sharing, TS!
Checkout the YouTube channel :strafefox

Some great retro behind the scenes

Checkout the YouTube channel :strafefox

Some great retro behind the scenes

Thanks! I’ll certainly be browsing that channel in a bit.

The Gaming Historian is another great channel that touches on all kinds of retro stuff. He has a more subdued tone to his videos, but they are really well done.

I’m always impressed at the content you can find on YouTube.

I liked the yellow t-shirt. I hated that Dr. Zan, an electric cyborg, and a stupid kangaroo were playable characters. They should've had Adam as a playable character instead.

Yeah, Dr. Zan was stupid. Max was my main character from SOR2 and I could run through Mania difficulty with him. At least Adam was playable in the Remake, lol.

SOR3 did have a playable Shiva, but he was missing the Flame Kick. The Kangaroo was meh. Ash was overpowered.

Playable Shiva in SO3 was awesome.

I’d always play two player with my best friend growing up, he’d be Axel and I think I’d be the chick until we’d reach the point where you could unlock Shiva after level 3 or whatever and I would play as him for the rest.

That game was incredible.

Yeah, I know a lot of peeps think us older guys are just nostalgic,but games were really made better then...with the lack of graphics,we got funnier ,better thought out games...now everything is graphics but shit gameplay.

tenor.gif

Games were also a lot simpler to make back then compared to now. Also, a lot of those games were artificially difficult so people wouldn't rent them and beat them in a weekend because publishers/studios wanted to promote full price purchases. For every Streets of Rage 2, there were a ton of shitty games back then too and even more clones because of the limited technology. Gameplay nowadays is vastly, vastly deeper and more dynamic than the late 80s/early to mid 90s. If you think all games now are just pretty with shitty gameplay, you need to play better games.

Back