Man.. I feel like BJJ might not be for me.

To the others:

Yeah. Maybe i just need a personal training partner lmao. to train shit seen on videos*

The ability to drill a set position or technique against someone your level is helpful. Also getting to work on progressive resistance (your opponent lets you learn the motions; then they give you 10% resistance, then 50%, etc., until you can apply the move against high resistance) is also going to help.

I've been doing jiu jitsu for 15 years. I've gotten pissed off and wanted to quit multiple times, but for some reason I always come back to it, like an abusive spouse. There's always that little voice in my head that says "........okay but what if we tried THIS instead??!" and I end up going back.

For whatever its worth, at white belt level you're going to get demolished. Strong people are hard to deal with, because that's nature; strong people beat up weak people. You're fighting nature by learning jiu jitsu. Give yourself some slack man.

8 or 9 months... I have 9 years in and have thought about ending bjj many times also but it's more about the injuries than anything else. Bjj is not an easy sport and for the life of me I can't figure out why some folks expect to come in and start dominating..

8 or 9 months... I have 9 years in and have thought about ending bjj many times also but it's more about the injuries than anything else. Bjj is not an easy sport and for the life of me I can't figure out why some folks expect to come in and start dominating..

I don't expect to dominate. but I have some expectation of doing well against people who are less experience. and expectation of improving constantly

I mean.. Its fun when I do decent. not fun when I get smashed or get whooped by inexperienced dudes. or when I encounter the same problems over and over

Ok.

What is the problem?

You should not get whooped by inexperienced students .

Please describe your strategy and game plan when you roll.

Do you start from stand up or on the knees?

Do you midget wrestle for top position?

Do you pull guard?

Basically give us your blue print. What is your go moves?

Where do you struggle?

Tomorrow,
I literally will have a one on one with a student and give a blue print on which guard he should play based on my experience and his guard pass system.

The problem in bjj is people tend to rotate towards game plan that actually no good for them

For example, I think you should not bother with half guard because you are too green....half guard means you half way to get your guard passed. ...but to a more advanced student...half guard means something else...it is a strong guard where you divide your sparring partner strength in half...as you distabilise his base by taking one leg away so to speak....

It is the same half guard but it can be counter productive depending on your level of understanding and skills.

Last edited:
Took me 5 years before I started feeling somewhat competent

Ok.

What is the problem?

You should not get whooped by inexperienced students .

Please describe your strategy and game plan when you roll.

Do you start from stand up or on the knees?

Do you midget wrestle for top position?

Do you pull guard?

Basically give us your blue print. What is your go moves?

Where do you struggle?

Tomorrow,
I literally will have a one on one with a student and give a blue print on which guard he should play based on my experience and his guard pass system.

The problem in bjj is people tend to rotate towards game plan that actually no good for them

For example, I think you should not bother with half guard because you are too green....half guard means you half way to get your guard passed. ...but to a more advanced student...half guard means something else...it is a strong guard where you divide your sparring partner strength in half...as you distabilise his base by taking one leg away so to speak....

It is the same half guard but it can be counter productive depending on your level of understanding and skills.

I have extreme struggle with people who are stronger than me.

We usually start from the knees. and I usually pull guard. it rarely works lmao. I usually go for rubber guard to omoplata.

Blue belts have said I have good top control.

I struggle in the guard against stronger inexperience guys, because they just turtle up and dont let me break their arm posture, because I cant do that, they'll eventually pass my guard and whoop me.

I have extreme struggle with people who are stronger than me.

We usually start from the knees. and I usually pull guard. it rarely works lmao. I usually go for rubber guard to omoplata.

Blue belts have said I have good top control.

I struggle in the guard against stronger inexperience guys, because they just turtle up and dont let me break their arm posture, because I cant do that, they'll eventually pass my guard and whoop me.

From closed guard, do you know how to do kimura, hip bump sweep, scissor sweep, cross choke, arm drag to take the back?

I want to be able to at least deal with stronger inexperience guys.

Hey man, don't let anyone fool you with the mystical "technique beats all" stuff. Size and strength matter and you have to change your whole game to deal with it.
What I try to do with bigger guys is..... not let them get on top of me in the first place.

If they do, just frame and wait for them to make a move. If you can defend long enough until they get frustrated and take their weight off you for a sec (to go for a sub), you can escape. Even if that means literally butt scooting away and basically running if you have too.

I feel like I've plateau for the last few months. I've been doing BJJ for about 8-9 months. for the first few months, I only did beginner's no gi for 2x a week. then, added a mixed level no gi on sundays. Eventually, I added another mixed-level no-gi then 2 more beginner's gi. Been doing beginner gi for like 12 classes. Feels like everyone is passing me.

I struggle with stronger opponents even when they have less technique and especially stronger bigger opponents. And I still have a weak guard, no half guard game, and don't know how to approach people who play half guard right away. (From what I've notice)

I think I am going to add more mixed-level gi classes since I can buy more gis soon and hopefully this will help me with improving. but I've been really discouraged due to guys whos more inexperience beating me.

Any advice? Also, I am 5'9ft and 209-212lbs.

If its not for you, its not for you . No shame in that. Its not for everyone and that's why so many people drop out at white or right after blue.

What I can tell you though is over my first 5 years of training I experienced tons of highs and lows and what I felt to be overly prolonged plateaus. Since then though I feel like its been nothing but growth and enjoyment. Right now jiu jitsu is one of the most rewarding things in my life. If you can push through these plateaus and continue to grow it will be for you to as well.

Remember its not a race, your growth has nothing to do with your training partners growth. Just keep working on better yourself. If you think they are passing yourself why? What are they doing? You are still real early in this journey. Stick with it.

Hey man, don't let anyone fool you with the mystical "technique beats all" stuff. Size and strength matter and you have to change your whole game to deal with it.
What I try to do with bigger guys is..... not let them get on top of me in the first place.

If they do, just frame and wait for them to make a move. If you can defend long enough until they get frustrated and take their weight off you for a sec (to go for a sub), you can escape. Even if that means literally butt scooting away and basically running if you have too.

Ha! This all day.

From closed guard, do you know how to do kimura, hip bump sweep, scissor sweep, cross choke, arm drag to take the back?

I know how to do those moves. maybe not cross choke correctly though. I barely started GI BJJ, so i still freak out mentality when they have grips.

Yeh. Ive realized that I shouldnt pull guard on 300+ lbs dudes. I need to learn how to play half guard. I think that'll help alot

If its not for you, its not for you . No shame in that. Its not for everyone and that's why so many people drop out at white or right after blue.

What I can tell you though is over my first 5 years of training I experienced tons of highs and lows and what I felt to be overly prolonged plateaus. Since then though I feel like its been nothing but growth and enjoyment. Right now jiu jitsu is one of the most rewarding things in my life. If you can push through these plateaus and continue to grow it will be for you to as well.

Remember its not a race, your growth has nothing to do with your training partners growth. Just keep working on better yourself. If you think they are passing yourself why? What are they doing? You are still real early in this journey. Stick with it.
I will man. thanks

I know how to do those moves. maybe not cross choke correctly though. I barely started GI BJJ, so i still freak out mentality when they have grips.

Right...

Gi training is the great equaliser for weaker people.

Try Catch Jitsu/Wolfman Combatives.

I got my ass handed to me by blue belts for months on end and wasn't even at a really legit gym when I first started. Stick at it and focus on your game and other areas you can control. Strength, fitness, diet, sleep etc will all help.

BF_-9wPCMAAmIlP.jpg

Back